Personna Stainless PTFE GEM (3)
Damp facecloth aka “shave binky”
AP ShaveCo Dinosaur G5C 28mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: warm shower :001_wub:
Lather: Captain’s Choice Unscented bowl-loaded; face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky and a drop of hyaluronic acid
Post-shave: mentholated Equate moisturizer

Got better at a lighter touch. Aftershave disagreed, but otherwise yes. Non-mauled parts of face from the last shave didn’t have hairs curled back. The next stubble crop might be gooder. Still, I took forever again. Will try with less chipmunk bites next time. Have to whip up more Ulm Nom, too.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Last night’s two-fer shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna Stainless PTFE GEM (4)
Blackland stainless Blackbird OC
Bic Chrome Platinum (2?)
Pre-shave: no
Aftershave: Aqua Velva
Post-shave: warm shower :001_wub: and a drop of hyaluronic acid
Post-shave: mentholated Equate moisturizer

No noticeable curlbacks/ingrowns tonight.

Don’t know why I lathered and shaved before my shower given I haven’t done that too good since my Wickham’s Lemon Pledge ran out last year. Even a face wash prior to shaving would’ve been better. Alternated between nigh-neutral and fencing grips and shallow and nigh-neutral angles with my trusty Micromatic Open Comb with long and short strokes and it was just a time-consuming, sub-standard shave. The Aqua Velva elucidated my foibles.

Cleaned up the gear and jumped in the shower with my Blackbird. Shaved nape of neck and then cleaned up face and front of neck with shampoo and a little bar soap. All steep. All comfortable. So much closer with much less effort than most razors used. All “hey, dummy! This razor, the Travel Raptor SE, and the Overlander are your razors – sell off or PIF away the rest!” Yes, it’s a loud razor.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s steep shave
Bic Chrome Platinum (3?)
Aftershave: none
Post-shave: Equate moisturizer

So, two things about Captain’s Choice Unscented shave soap that probably apply to the other Captain’s Choice shave soaps:

1. Post-shave feel is simply awesome.
2. Leftovers in my loading bowl seem resistant to ill effects from hard water

Again, another crop of stubble without curled back ones. Magic of shaving shallow with reduced pressure?

Shaved steep again. Meant to go slightly neutral, but definitely ended up booping comb against skin. While I generally prefer shallower, it’s still a Grail quality shave held steep. Will see how it grows back tonight. So far so good.

Happy shaves, everyone!

Last night’s steep shave
Bic Chrome Platinum (3?)

So, two things about Captain’s Choice Unscented shave soap that probably apply to the other Captain’s Choice shave soaps:

Again, another crop of stubble without curled back ones. Magic of shaving shallow with reduced pressure?

Shaved steep again. Meant to go slightly neutral, but definitely ended up booping comb against skin. While I generally prefer shallower, it’s still a Grail quality shave held steep. Will see how it grows back tonight. So far so good.

Happy shaves, everyone!
The Steeper the better in my book. There are many reasons I am not at all tempted to buy a Blackbird, or, any other Blackland product except maybe the Sabre. Maybe I would get a perfect shave from a BB and not get as many weepers as I do with my WR2 and my aversion would prove unfounded. They seem fairly loved by their fans. It is great that Shane offers his trial period. We will see if I can get over it when the redesign of the sabre comes out. I have only had one or two shaves with my Micromatic Bullet Tip, but, I found them smooth and comfortable. The only issue I have with GEM designs is I have enough DE blades for my lifetime with how many shaves I get per blade, and, the rather limited sources for Perssona PTFE blades. The idea of ordering a current production blade that is made in the states from England kind discourages me.

I bought the Alpha Shave Works Super Legero custom handle for my X1 Slant even though I have as of yet failed to get on with AC razors that I have tried. Basically because I want to support businesses providing custom handles that fill my LHF requirement. Despite David's praises of the Vector razor I doubt I will ever throw down the money on one of those. I did consider it for a time because of the small head that looks like it would do great around my nose. As with the Blackbird and Sabre both the fact that I get a handle I won't use is kind of sinches it. This is the same reason I haven't looked at the Athena. How I shave is not how they were designed to be used I suppose, but, it works for me.

Last night’s steep shave
Bic Chrome Platinum (3?)

Happy shaves, everyone!
Great lather is the foundation for great shaves.

thombrogan

The idea of ordering a current production blade that is made in the states from England kind discourages me.

It irks me, too. I wrote to Accutec and they told me to set up an account and then they didn’t complete setting it up for me. I suppose because I’m an individual user like I told them in the initial email…

When I get in enough practice, my Micromatic shaves are quick, comfortable, and close enough and I get four or more shaves per blade.

When I use my Travel Raptor SE, I usually get extremely close, quick-enough shaves that don’t feel like I shaved at all, but at one shave per blade, the price of the blades feels extremely annoying. I suppose if I was smart, I’d just use that one and sell off e’ery other razor to fund the Connaught blades or see if some woodwind store offers bulk discounts.

The Steeper the better in my book.

Shallow’s usually my jam and neutral is my derring-do. Steep definitely works, but is too easy for me to overdo.

Great lather is the foundation for great shaves.

Agreed.

thombrogan

Tonight’s exhilarating shave
Bic Chrome Platinum (4?)
Simpsons Wee Scott 13mm badger brush

Two-ish pass shave. First shallow. Felt the way I wished my Schick E3 Injecfor would feel. And a little scrapy here and there. Second steep. Got the job mostly done. A little more steep got me close enough. The Wee Scot is still not like Al’s softness-wise, but I remembered my brass Overlander’s cap feels draggy with too much pressure, so I lathered with less pressure and the scritch vanished. And I’m more used to the forgiveness of the Overlander. I definitely feel like I’ve shaved.

Wifey did yard work today and I assisted, but not like normal because stitches. Doing my goodest to heal, though.

Wee Babby had a day out with friends that included a ride home. The friend that drove them home stopped at her house and brought her dog over, too. A beautiful, puppy with pitbull in its mix used vast amounts of mind control to force me to Pat, scratch, coo, and sing to her completely against my will.

Happy shaves, everyone!

The idea of ordering a current production blade that is made in the states from England kind discourages me.
Bullgoose has them too right? Or is that against steep prices? I am pretty much convicted to Connaught too as I don’t trust the various Amazon sellers. But the UK is changing its rules on postal service for blades so I am actually wondering if I can get them at all in the future.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
But the UK is changing its rules on postal service for blades so I am actually wondering if I can get them at all in the future.

I've been hearing about the strict blade laws in the EU, ever since a teenager got convicted of a crime, after he had a knife shipped to him, or something to that effect anyways. Here's my opinion on the matter...

If the EU as a whole, puts a ban on blades being shipped to home owners, then they have to make said blades available to consumers to buy, at local brick and mortar stores. I'm in the US and don't have this issue. But for those in the EU, I recommend using your voice to push for local sale.

If the EU as a whole, puts a ban on blades being shipped to home owners, then they have to make said blades available to consumers to buy, at local brick and mortar stores.
Fortunately that is not the case Chris. It’s just the UK and they are no longer EU. RBC works fine across Europe and if it is anywhere in the EU it is just a matter of location and getting it here, because checking etc was already done. Sad thing is that GEM blades are virtually non existent in the EU.

Guido

Bullgoose has them too right? Or is that against steep prices? I am pretty much convicted to Connaught too as I don’t trust the various Amazon sellers. But the UK is changing its rules on postal service for blades so I am actually wondering if I can get them at all in the future.
I just looked and you are correct that Bullgoose has them in stock for around 35 USD. Connaught has them for about 14 USD cheaper. I have forgotten what their shipping is like, but, they have other things cheaper that would make the order from them more attractive. Hopefully blades stay okay to ship.

I just looked and you are correct that Bullgoose has them in stock for around 35 USD. Connaught has them for about 14 USD cheaper. I have forgotten what there shipping is like, but, they have other things cheaper that would make the order from them more attractive. Hopefully blades stay okay to ship.
Yeah they are more expensive - although for me that is relative. If I buy from the UK I have to pay 21% VAT on everything including shipping. My last order from Connaught became slightly less attractive afterwards.

Yeah they are more expensive - although for me that is relative. If I buy from the UK I have to pay 21% VAT on everything including shipping. My last order from Connaught became slightly less attractive afterwards.
Yeah I remember high VAT from my 15 years in Europe. We on this side of the pond are lucky that we get away with VAT free purchases and no customs tax under a fairly high threshold.

thombrogan

Tonight’s stellar shave
Travel Raptor SE by @SlimGem
Personna GEM PTFE (1)

Wifey took Wee Babby and me to see “Spirited Away” at the cinema. Then tonight we had raviolis for supper. Finally, washed up and used my best-shaving razor. Not my best-shaving DE (which somehow transmogrified into the Overlander), but my best-shaving razor. Period.

I’ve got mine, but I often check Thingverse to see if it will be made available to the world at large. I haven’t seen it there, so then I wonder if Mr. Quintero is in talks with some large-scale manufacturing and distributing firm to release it to the world and get handsomely remunerated for his ingenious design. No idea here.

I’ve been denying myself the pleasures of this razor for months, but decided I’m enjoying it tonight. Used post-shave; as opposed to lather and go; I was able to get a close shave with a shallow angle that didn’t take me forever. Before, I’d boop the safety bar at a neutral angle, speed through the shave, and need to change the blade. The Accutec née Personna PTFE stainless GEM ain’t cheap, so I’m not fond of using one and throwing its spent husk in my forbidden apple juice bottle. I think the blade from tonight can be used again.

Found RazorBladeCo.com sells the Accutec updated GEM blade for $21USD before shipping is added. Connaught is still less money, but yay for people buying a USA-made blade in a USA-based shop. The older Personna one is still available for a crazy $29USD plus shipping. Weird.

Back to the AP ShaveCo Dinosaur brush tonight. Always a painter, but I used less force like I did to reduce scritch from the Wee Scot last shave. 25% awesomer. More plush and yet I could feel its fibers help shove lather under my whiskers.

Going to fall unconscious with the paradox of aftershave sting, a very close shave, and a feeling like I didn’t shave. #SpoiledRotten

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s awesome shave
Personna GEM PTFE (2)
Whipped Dog Butterscotch 30mm boar brush
Lather: ARKO!; face-lathered

Soaked about a quarter inch of my brush’s bristles in a coffee cup with cold water while I showered. The end of my ARKO! stick-to-puck-to-stick felt rough (it’s normally where a piece is removed with a guitar pic before being pressed into my loading bowl), so I used the side of the stick to finish application. Using less pressure than normal, I painted a thin film of lather and was ready to shave.

Fairly shallow and fairly light, the Travel Raptor SE traveled lightly across my whiskerscape with me just feeling the blade’s spine while hearing the edge perform its chores. The shave was comfortable and close enough and there was much less aftershave sting than the time before. And, once again, it feels like I didn’t shave, but somehow have a clean face and neck.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Personna GEM PTFE (3)
Boti Mother Lode 30mm synthetic brush
Lather: VDH Luxury Scented bowl-loaded; face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom

Rabbit rabbit.

A fresh blade would have helped. Or better skill. I have a fresh blade…. The shave could have been gentler and timelier, but it was definitely close enough. New bottle of Ulm Nom finally crafted had lots of chill and very little sting as a result of the less than ideal shave still being very good.

The Boti Mother Lode was used with a light touch like I used with the boar brush. Those softest bristles felt even softer and did a great job for a brush with no dinosaur on its handle.

VDH has a ‘sweet’ scent that I find a bit strong, but it’s slick, easy to use, and affordable enough. When I had the unscented version, I rarely added enough water, so being forewarned helped let this soap’s excellence shine through even though it’s not technically “soap.”

Will seat a new GEM blade before tonight’s bout of Happy Razor Fun Time and look forward to ethereal results.

Happy shaves, everyone!

Top Bottom