What's new

Shucking oysters

I learned by sitting at the oyster bar and observing, and then picked up the tool I saw used, which is a Nogent knife.
proxy.php

This has worked well for me for several hundred oysters. I think I should get a second knife of a different style to see how I like it for different types of oysters. Maybe this, for, from my local fishmonger.
proxy.php

IMG_0287.JPG

I have several, always looking for a better tool to make up for my lack of skill...

This 4" Dexter "Boston Pattern" oyster knife works the best for me so far. Not much different than a sharpened screwdriver.

Tom

Screwdriver will work in a pinch.

I grew up in Charleston SC, so the only real way to eat oysters is at an oyster roast. We build a big fire, then put a peice of sheet metal over that. Put down as many oysters as will fit, then cover the whole thing with soaking wet burlap cloth. Let they oysters steam just long enough for them to be warm and easier to open. We then dump them all onto tables (usually plywood on sawhorses with a hole cut in the middle for a trash can). Everyone gathers around the table and shucks and eats as many oysters as they can handle!

My favorite part? - when I find a crab in the oyster. Man they are so good.

These parties are always strictly a winter affair. I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but in Charleston, you can only eat fresh oysters in months with an "R" in them. Usually December -March is when people really have them.

Years ago, I had a hearing in New Orleans. My witness, George, had been a district manager in NO for over 15 years. We finished up at about 3:00 p.m. and since we did not have any lunch we both were hungry. George asked me if I liked oysters on the half shell and when I replied in the affirmative he took me to Felix's. As we entered I saw that there were only a few customers at the bar. One of the men behind the bar noticed us and he shouted to the other guys, "Hey, it's Mr. George. We better start shucking." We both had quite a few oysters and a beer and one of the guys showed me how to shuck the oyster. I could not believe how fast he did it.

Previously, I had always tried to pry the oyster open from the front and with a knife. When he showed the oyster knife and how to pry it open from the back, it became a lot easier. However, I could never come close to match the speed of these guys.

I use the Dexter S121. I've broken a couple :/ The tips wear thin after a few hundred cases of Norfolk oysters...

I got pretty fast but it takes me a about half a case to get back into the swing of it these days. Never worked at an oyster bar but did quite a few at a steakhouse!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My little shucking friend came in the mail yesterday...soooo...I had to get some oysters for a proper test. A few nicks on the end but nothing bad. I've also got a Carolina shucker knife on the way.

IMG_2750[1].JPG
IMG_2749[1].JPG

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Looks great, Aaron. I wish I could get oysters in the shell up here but have to go closer to the Gulf to find anyplace that has them.

My BIL in Corpus is supposed to come up sometime this summer...maybe he could throw a few dozen fresh ones in a cooler before he comes up.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Looks great, Aaron. I wish I could get oysters in the shell up here but have to go closer to the Gulf to find anyplace that has them.

My BIL in Corpus is supposed to come up sometime this summer...maybe he could throw a few dozen fresh ones in a cooler before he comes up.

That plus a few pounds of fresh shrimps.

...get some crab too.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Got ya Aaron...your order is in. By the way...BIL used to work on a shrimp boat; had his own boat.

Top Bottom