What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

Thank you gents. The size is ok, perfect for hand held, good for bench honing also. Sure, a bench stone of this quality would be a dream but currently impossible with my small budget. But rather a small high end stone than a large without a noteworthy result.

I went for a smaller affordable one too. Not only does it make a high end quality stone affordable, but I also find it forces learning technique and skill. Plus I really like hand honing. I find more control and working on old odd blades that are not perfectly straight work out much better on these size stones and hand honing.

Is that a Suita tomo?

I think so too. Size does not really matter when you are a skilled honer. The tomo is a softer suita and gives a purplish slurry. It is very fast but fine, a pleasure to work with. Here is a pic in the sunlight when dry, has definitely nice look.
$3.jpg

Alex
I have just recognized that those dots are in all my Jnats.
Most of time they are black and one Asagi has also brighter dots in addition to black dots. They look like sesame from the color and shape.
This Kiita has some black dots but most of time they are deep red. Here is a magnification (about30x).
$4.jpg

A magnification pic of the backside of my Shobu Asagi (about 30x or more). It is sealed with clear lacquer. I assume this brighter dots are Goma. The stone is pretty thick and on the front are much less of it but many of this very small black dots. This stone needs a pretty coarse lapping to get a good shaving edge. First I lapped it with 1.2k w/d and the edges were super harsh. Now I use a 1k diamond plate and then I do a few laps with a 325 dmt. The surface looks scratched or dull but I get very good results. It needs a lapping from time to time because it gets to smooth again and the edges harsher.
$Goma.jpg

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Here's some eye candy for the honerati!

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $DSCF2294.jpg
    $DSCF2294.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 103
  • $DSCF2295.jpg
    $DSCF2295.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 100
  • $DSCF2297.jpg
    $DSCF2297.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 99
  • $DSCF2298.jpg
    $DSCF2298.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 103
  • $DSCF2303.jpg
    $DSCF2303.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 99

Steve56

And round two...

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $DSCF2299.jpg
    $DSCF2299.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 94
  • $DSCF2300.jpg
    $DSCF2300.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 94
  • $DSCF2301.jpg
    $DSCF2301.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 96
  • $DSCF2302.jpg
    $DSCF2302.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 90
  • $DSCF2293.jpg
    $DSCF2293.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 92
Wow i didnt expect that - again ha haha a You are killing me
Awesomme stones . Very pure .The third and the fourth looks absolutely pure :w00t:
I will dream a honning nightmares now ha ha ah ah

Last edited:

Steve56

They're all extremely pure except the last one and it's a very good finisher, it would be a good traveler.

Cheers, Steve

Alex
I have just recognized that those dots are in all my Jnats.
Most of time they are black and one Asagi has also brighter dots in addition to black dots. They look like sesame from the color and shape.
This Kiita has some black dots but most of time they are deep red. Here is a magnification (about30x).

Sebastian

Those small dark dots are the goma, and Steve's kiita in the first photo has the same nashiji light brown pattern as yours does, a pleasant feature of tomae strata stones. You suita tomonagura is from the Ohira mine, the purple color is the results of renge in the slurry. Super concentrated.

Steve
Those are the best photos I have ever seen, from you or anyone. Do you have enough time to use all these hones? Nice score.

Alex

Alex

Alex

Thanks for the nice information. First I thought the yellowish inclusions in the Shobu are Goma because it looks like sesame seeds. It might rather be gold nuggets. :001_cool:

Steve

Real natural whetstone gold, always a pleasure to look at your stones. :thumbup1:

Steve56

Thanks Alex,

I have to use 2-3 razors per shave to test them all - lol.

More on the photos later...

Cheers, Steve

Steve56

Alex

Thanks for the nice information. First I thought the yellowish inclusions in the Shobu are Goma because it looks like sesame seeds. It might rather be gold nuggets. :001_cool:

Steve

Real natural whetstone gold, always a pleasure to look at your stones. :thumbup1:

Thank you Sebastian!

Cheers, Steve

Ok figured I would try from computer and work up to the tablet. I don't use a computer at home ever so I need to figure out the process first then work it into the tablet.
Namitoshep.jpg
Namitoshep2.jpg

Ok so it is much easier on a computer. Tablet was never easy, but now I know the process for up loading image. Will we be using the full size or thumbnail mostly now? I see it gives you the option.

Top Bottom