What's new

Shield adjustable titanum head

Shield has new titanium head. Its adjustable. Has anyone seen something like that ?!

titanium-adjust-de-head.jpg_640x640.jpg

shot.jpg

Interesting concept. Asymmetric bottom plate positioning. One side being more aggressive than the other. I do not see any markings or gradation markings. How would one repeatably set it to one specific level of asymmetry?

I don't know.

It seems to me that slots are asymmetrical. By flipping there should be four fixed levels, me thinks.

It seems to me that slots are asymmetrical. By flipping there should be four fixed levels, me thinks.

All the parts have two (middle) planes of symmetry. The asymmetric positioning is created by the larger laterally prolate bore hole (still symmetric though in the same way as the rest) of the baseplate for the screwed thread of the topcap. You can shift the baseplate to create asymmetry in the head assembly relative to the mid plane of symmetry (normal to the plane in which the head is positioned flat) going through the middle from one tab end to the other. Also the holes in the baseplate (for the middle plate slots) positioned at the side are longer, allowing for asymmetric positioning. By handle you fix the position of the baseplate. Really simple and clever system. I see no shortcommings with regard to longevity or robustness (springs, O-rings etc., other small parts).

I have to say, I really! like the simplicity of it all. Beautiful implementation.

As to the usefullness I will eagerly await first reports :)

Last edited:
Honestly, between this and the AC/DE combination head, Shield razors are doing some interesting things. They aren't afraid to take a chance and create something unusual with more limited appeal.

I know that the designs of the handles are a bit simplistic in terms of knurling, but the quality of the machining on the heads seems good (based on my sample of one) and the feedback from people who are shaving with their razors seems universally positive. I know the Stomper and Predator both have fans and I really like my Avenger too.

There is nobody else offering anything close at a remotely comparable price point, except maybe the GFS Bayonetta. I mean, maybe Razorock is similarly priced if you are in America, but outside of the USA there's no contest - a Gamechanger will cost £105 here including shipping, but I can get a Shield DE in stainless steel for £46. Or a SS Predator for the same price - where else will you find a modern GEM razor in stainless steel for less than £200? It's a no brainer.

I would prefer not to be buying stuff from China, but it seems like Shield have a solid product at a very competitive price. I would not be surprised if another one landed in my den at some stage.

Hello friends

Although I haven't tried any Shield razor yet, I have been following Mike's work and his creations with interest. He seems to me to be someone with fresh ideas and extremely approachable.

I just read a post on Instagram from a guy who tried the Shield Adjustable for the first time (with comments from Mike). Here's the link:

Cheers!
❤️🪒

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I have seen a rare vintage self sharp razor that also provides the same asymmetric adjustment method.

And because of the concave base plate shape, it also indicates that it has a self-sharpening function. Just loosen the handle slightly and give it a quick push and pull, and the blade will strop inside the head.
(Pictures from the Internet)
Vintage_Self_Sharp_Adjustable_DE_Safety_Razor,_No_Manufacturer_Markings_On_Razor,_Label_On_Cas...jpg

Vintage_Self_Sharp_Adjustable_DE_Safety_Razor_With_Leather_Pouch,_No_Manufacturer_Markings_On_...jpg

Last edited:
It adjusts by loosening the handle and moving the center plate left or right. Nothing seems to flip just two adjustments for gap and exposure.
You are probably right. At first it seemed to me that slots are asymmetrical. But I am not sure. It is hard to determine from small picture.

You are probably right. At first it seemed to me that slots are asymmetrical. But I am not sure. It is hard to determine from small pictu
I saw it on the Shield website demonstrated with the handle loose. It seems like a simple idea as one side gets more plate the other gets more exposure and gap.

Top Bottom