What's new

Shaving quirks/rituals?

I never use the same soap, brush or aftershave two days in a row. I have a small calendar in my bathroom and I mark my blade changes (five shaves per blade) with a sharpie. I always leave the soap/cream that I used that day out on the sink until the next morning. pretty crazy eh? What are your quirks/ superstitions if you have any? :001_cool:

No superstitions as such, but.....

I always set out my soap, bowl and brush on the left edge of the sink, and my razor and facecloth on the right edge - like a surgeon's instruments

Unless I'm "field testing" something new, I always try to use a different bowl/mug, brush, soap, razor, blade & aftershave every day - the only thing I use daily is my Alum Block, but you don't get to meet too many wet shavers with an alum rotation.

After every shave I always do the following...
Cold facecloth, alum, (call of nature if necessary), clean kit, cold facecloth, aftershave

Routine or creature of habit, but I wouldn't go as far as to say superstitions !!

Not sure if it would be considered a quirk or not...but I always wash my face with a glycerin soap just before I get out of the shower. I also rinse my face between passes with the soapy sink water. After I am done with my shave...I rinse with the soapy sink water, then hot water, then cold water.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It IS a ritual ... lose yourself in concentration. The mirror is the Tao doorway to losing your perception of your self ("when you reach for it, it isn't there.") Hot water and exotic, clean scents put you in a different place, as with any church's incense. Good tools don't exist- do you think about your mouse when surfing? or what you're learning? - so razors and brushes disappear, too.

At the end, begin your day.

AA Got Zen? try this: Ten Bulls - Wikipedia

The only quirky thing I can think of is that I clean and dry blades before disposing of them. I don't like the thought of putting a dirty blade in my bank.

Every shave proceeds down the same, well-worn path. Oh, I change up on soaps, creams, and aftershaves, but the method remains the same from shave to shave. I guess it fits the definition of "ritual", but I don't notice; I'm busy shaving. It is very restful.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Now that you put it that way.
Remove razor from stand, move stand to other side of sink.
Turn hot water on, soak brush.
Fill scuttle with hot water.
Select a soap
Shower.
Whip up lather and shave.
Rinse it all off.
Done
More routine than ritual

I don't mind changing up any elements of my shave. Maybe I keep the same kit for a month, or maybe I'll change everything every day or two, or maybe I'll keep a razor or brush or soap for a week, but change every other element daily. BUT I always 3017 whatever pre-shave I'm using before moving on to the next one. Whether it's a soap, an oil, or cream, whatever. Until it's finished I won't move on to the next one.

Not really a ritual, more of a quirk.

I always set my soap or cream to the left of the sink the night before. I also don't use the same brush 2 days in a row, or every third or fourth day for that matter. This will change with the Fave 4 for March, and honestly I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable with the idea of using the same brush for the whole month. Razor comes out of the stand and on the right side of the sink after I shower and before I make a lather. If using a soap, I rinse it then set it top down to drain on the left lip of the sink after loading up but before making a lather, and when I'm finished shaving it gets flipped back up and left open until I get home from work, again on the left side. I wipe off excess lather from my face with a towel then cold water rinse. I take my razor apart, rinse & wipe down with a towel, always blade first, then the top, then the baseplate, then the handle, and reassemble. Then I rinse my brush then rinse & dry my lather bowl, always in that order. Then on to a splash of AS. Outside of this, I don't have much of a routine at all...

Top Bottom