What's new

Serial Number Toggle

R

romsitsa

Gillette adjustables are sping loaded, so can be adjusted with the head closed.
Honestly I have no clue how one can grow such deposits in such tight places.

Gillette adjustables are sping loaded, so can be adjusted with the head closed.
Honestly I have no clue how one can grow such deposits in such tight places.
I just got a slim in that all worked besides no 1/4 turn.
Did some soaking and ultrasonics with just dawn. Didn't help.
Poured dawn down the throat and let sit. Started to work.
Left dawn in and ran in ultrasonic and seems good but still had some friction when locking and unlocked 1/4 turn.
I did notice that the bottom knob has some slop in it when loose. So it's only a matter of time until the crimp that holds it in gives out.
By far the worst adjustable I've had.
I also did run it through ultrasonic with some vinegar. Freed up all the green I was seeing inside the knob. I'm willing to bet it's corroded in there but for now it's working. Seems if I try and fully torque the 1/4 turn it has some friction unlocking (probably due to the slop in the crimp allowing it to go further than designed.)
So I just use it for now. So far it's all good. Painted numbers blue to make sure I'll never confuse it with my other slims.
But it was a sad purchase. Paid over $30 so to me it should have been in good working order
Guy I got it from knew nothing of razors so I didn't fault him for it.
Cosmetically on the outside it looks great.
I don't know much about the insides of these but I'm just guessing based on what I've seen that's different than my other slims and adjustables as far as the knob play (quite a bit)
It doesn't have the spanner wrench retaining thing in the bottom of the handle so I have no idea how to take it apart, but I'd like to. Looks like a square head bolt in there??? I don't know

R

romsitsa

Adjustables are prone to collect deposits around the adjuster mechanism and knob. They are very durable, but can be a hit or miss.
For your knob issue, search “dropped knob” on the forum, there are several legit solutions. As it’s an adjustable, open up the head before you crimp the knob back.

The “spanner wrench” type bottom plate was deleted on the Fatboy, Slims and Supers have a crimped plate.

Hold the razor, closed and head down, on a towel or something soft. Get a brass tube (like the handle of an Old type) which will fit into the knob.
Place the tube onto the bottom plate and tap it with a hammer.
Outcome 1. The plate and spring underneath will skyrocket from the handle.
Outcome 2. The plate will be forced down on the center rod. You open up the razor and the plate/spring will skyrocket from the handle.

Now you can screw out the center rod and door assembly (could be stuck, but it has to come out).

For further disassembly you will need some basic tools, like a vise, pair of pliers, hammer. And much patience.

But I can’t recommend disassembly without having a similar backup razor.

Just to show you what could have happened. This Slim was frozen. After cleaning (with everything you can imagine) it worked and looked decent, but once locked down, it didn’t want to go beyond 7, so had to take it apart.

View attachment 1164677 View attachment 1164678
Wow that’s nasty! So far I’ve tried continuous soaking in hot soapy water and tried squirting lime-a-way directly into the adjustment mechanism. I was very careful to wipe away any excess that didn’t go into the dial. I did that for about a day but stopped for fear of damaging the gold plating. I should be receiving an ultrasonic cleaner tomorrow. I don’t plan on getting too aggressive with it though. I emailed Cap and hoping to hear back. I’m in no rush.

Top Bottom