What's new

Scuttles, does anybody use them?

You misunderstand what I said. Any scuttle should be able to keep the lather warm for the duration of a shave. What I was saying is that the warmth of the lather lasts mere seconds once it's applied to the face. For me, the whole process involved in using, keeping, cleaning and storing a scuttle where space is at a premium is not worth the hassle for the feel of a couple seconds of warmth on my face when I apply the lather.

Noted!

For me the "whole process involved in using, keeping, cleaning, and storing a scuttle where space is at a premium" is well worth the minimal hassle. I'm a bowl latherer anyway, so the additional labor of the scuttle may add one to two minutes to my shave time at the most.

For me it's worth it, for you it's not. To each his own!

I face lather most days. On the weekends or days I'm up before the house I enjoy the scuttle. If you have the time for a nice relaxing shave the warm lather goes a long ways for comfort relaxation. The soap is warm, lather is rich, and the scent is strong. For products like St. James of London it seems a shame not to use a scuttle.

As is it is in this hobby... find what works best for you and brings the most enjoyment from it.

I considered getting one before I took the plunge on de shaving. Now I don't see it as a need. I bowl lather, and have never had a "cold" lather. The idea of a scuttle is attractive, but unnecessary. And one more thing to clean! Maybe I'll get one someday, and change my tune, but it's near the bottom of the list. Need to find the perfect razor, the worlds greatest brush, and the soap of the gods first. Then a scuttle. Maybe.

Perfect razor...talk to Brian Brown or Robert Williams. They can help. If not, probably no one can.
Brush?? Try your best for a Paladin. Rudy Vey if you don't like what Paladin has to offer.
Soap?? Good luck. I'd start with CRSW Barbershop and go from there.

Top Bottom