What's new

Screaming_Pig Strops

Spoke with Ian, and I should have a little order going out today.

screaming_pig said:
Hi Jess,

Well I hadn't taken any pictures so whipped it out the box and took a few snaps this morn.......hope you like!!

Ian

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Nice strop! Can't wait to see your feedback on this!

I'm anticipating the day it's in my hands. I was also given the offer of black trim, with silver hardware, but favored the brown & brass combo better. My TM's have that mostly covered anyhoo.

I've only just gotten this strop in my hands, as I've been a bit busy to pick it up. However, I've got my initial impressions all set.

First of all: impeccable build quality. I rest assured knowing Ian (screaming_pig) has done everything by hand from the stitching, to dying the leather. I've got the 3" version, but he also offers it in 2 1/2 which, frankly, would have looked much more perfectly proportioned in comparison. But I loves me a wide strop. I had requested artificial sinew stitching (waxed brown thread available), brown leather trim (black available), and brass hardware (chromed available). Flash isn't my "thing", even though this is really nice looking. The handle is thick and comfortable, with nicely rounded edged. Not quite perfect for my hand though - mine are small and thick, more accustomed to powerlifting - so if I could do it again, I'd ask for the tail portion to be extended probably about an inch. I think that would have suited my grip perfectly.

The stropping surface is wonderful. Ox hide, triple tanned, and 4mm thick. It's actually very supple, considering its thickness and the fact that it's brand new. Much moreso than my horsehide strop I've had for months and use daily, but not on the level of my red latigo, which is quite a bit thinner, and completely broken in. Quite a more than the latigo when it was new, however. The surface is definitely finished, I can tell that much. It is very fine/tight IMO - not as much as my horse, but may be attributed to the slickness - and has a smooth, velvet draw. The draw is very quick, but it never felt slick, the way horsehide can. Gave a great amount of confidence on my part, excellent control on the whole stroke. I can't wait until this one wears in, then I'm in serious trouble.

All in all, it cost me £60 shipped. Incredibly fair price with the work involved. Even if there wasn't a last-minute price drop of £10, I believe it would have been well worth it. Ian was extremely pleasurable (and excited!) to deal with during the whole process. It took 4 weeks from my initial contact, to delivery. This includes my entire decision making process. And, of course, a slight delay as Ian had a knife competition to win during the whole thing.

Great work, man. I am one very happy customer.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Wow thanks Jessie this is excellent, I really appreciate the feedback. I cant thank you enough for taking the time and effort to write this up :thumbup:

I've not been on much due to my slipped disk still giving me trouble so I must apologise for missing this thread :blushing:

However not one to sit and stare a blank wall and feel sorry for myself I've come up with another design for a strop.

This one is all made from Latigo- stroping surface, handle and securing flaps. Hardware is a solid 1/4 inch nickle silver bar and nickle snap, also nickle rivets to compliment. Sounds wierd but all will be revealed! As always entirely hand made and stitched with artificial sinew. It kinda reminds me of a 'barber style' strop as I've shaped the ends of the flaps. I'll get some pics up and start another thread so not to hijack this one :001_smile

Once again many thanks Jess and delighted your enjoying your new strop!

EDIT:

I did start to take some pictures of your strop whilst making it Jessie, shows some of the processes involved.........

Last edited:
Wow thanks Jessie this is excellent, I really appreciate the feedback. I cant thank you enough for taking the time and effort to write this up :thumbup:

Hey, no problem. I figured it deserved it, you know? Sometimes posts like that are just what's needed to give a push to people that may be interested.

This one is all made from Latigo- stroping surface, handle and securing flaps. Hardware is a solid 1/4 inch nickle silver bar and nickle snap, also nickle rivets to compliment. Sounds wierd but all will be revealed! As always entirely hand made and stitched with artificial sinew. It kinda reminds me of a 'barber style' strop as I've shaped the ends of the flaps. I'll get some pics up and start another thread so not to hijack this one :001_smile
Look forward to seeing it.

You've got a thread of your own to bump up anyway.

Last edited:
Made for anyone, really.

This is screaming_pig's original thread, about his very own strop:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=150467

And what caught my attention, in response to Tony Miller stepping back on his strop making:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=2153244#post2153244

If you read in the second link, Ian was looking to get some strops on the BST some time in the future. I chose to jumped ahead and made a special request. The stropping surface on mine is 3" x 22".

Gotta give it to you and Jose on these strops, pure craftsmanship. I'd be a few less digits if I came near that:lol::lol:

I wanted to start my own thread about the great strop's that Ian makes...but did not want to make the Admin upset...or to have multiple threads... distracting from each other.:blushing:
I bumped the thread Ian started, with pics of my new strop.
Great write up on your strop...like you... I am very happy with mine.
This strop will be sweet when she is broke in...:thumbup::thumbup:

Here is #2 Screaming Pig Strop... Thanks again Ian!
proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom