What's new

Schick Quatro Revisited

Hello everyone. :) My wife was given a gift that had some shower gel in it and a Schick Quatro cartridge razor in it. She wanted me to use it first before she did. I lathered with VDH and an AOS travel badger brush. I had forgotten how to use a cartridge razor now that I am use to DE. I was shocked at how forgiving a 4 blade razor is. It can not cut you. It will glide over bumps and go out curves like your chin in one motion. If you do that with a DE you will cut your face off. I did get a smooth shave from it but at a cost. I now have bumps under my nose and my face still stings...razor burn I would guess. I tried to use it like my DE...WTG, XTG, and ATG....three passes. Yes, it is faster to use than a DE and would be good in a pinch if you are in a hurry. I am not going back...I will stay with my Lord Merkur Tech. :) The 4 blade cartridge was smooth with no drag. There was no real feedback and not much audio either. I like the feedback that I get from a DE....I know I am shaving something. I had to try it just to see what the difference was now that I am getting better DE shaves on a daily basis. When all was said and done, my AS told the story of my shave. BURN!!....that says it all. I must have razor burn after my cartridge shave. Now I know. :)

When I was confused this was my favorite razor and I tried virtually all the newer cartridges. However I can never see using it again.

Sorry to hear you paid a hefty price for that shave. I still have a few Quattro carts that I use on my head and the back of my neck.

Living in Gillette's home town, I'm no fan of Shick in general (don't get me started on their politics).

However, I do confess that, for a cartridge razor, the Quattro is quite good. Much better than the Fusion and sometimes better than the Mach 3. I never had any burn or irritation issues with it, even with multiple passes.

I don't use it routinely anymore. At best, I'll use the reverse single blade if I'm having trouble getting my under-nose whiskers with my Fatboy.

Jeff in Boston

After shaving for two months or so the DE way I have narrowed down my best combo for a shave. They are as follows:

Lord Merkur Tech
Feather blade
VDH deluxe
Ever Ready synthetic knot brush
witch hazel

This has become my goto shave and works very well. When shaving with the quadro today I felt like I was missing the enjoyment or the pampering of a nice shave. I am glad that I tried it because now I know. :)

Three passes with 4 blades is sort of like 12 passes with your DE. :scared:
Not surprising that you got some razor burn.

Not sure the math holds up, but I agree that it is likely to lead to more irritation.

When I use a cartridge razor I use either a Trac II or a Sensor Excel. I do two passes with the Sensor and 3 with the Trac II. I don't find 3 passes with the Trac II any more irritating than 3 passes with a DE.

Hello everyone. :) My wife was given a gift that had some shower gel in it and a Schick Quatro cartridge razor in it. She wanted me to use it first before she did. I lathered with VDH and an AOS travel badger brush. I had forgotten how to use a cartridge razor now that I am use to DE. I was shocked at how forgiving a 4 blade razor is. It can not cut you. It will glide over bumps and go out curves like your chin in one motion. If you do that with a DE you will cut your face off. I did get a smooth shave from it but at a cost. I now have bumps under my nose and my face still stings...razor burn I would guess. I tried to use it like my DE...WTG, XTG, and ATG....three passes. Yes, it is faster to use than a DE and would be good in a pinch if you are in a hurry. I am not going back...I will stay with my Lord Merkur Tech. :) The 4 blade cartridge was smooth with no drag. There was no real feedback and not much audio either. I like the feedback that I get from a DE....I know I am shaving something. I had to try it just to see what the difference was now that I am getting better DE shaves on a daily basis. When all was said and done, my AS told the story of my shave. BURN!!....that says it all. I must have razor burn after my cartridge shave. Now I know. :)
I used a Quatro for quite a while a few years ago when still in my cartridge days. I used to get a months worth of shaves out of one cartridge. You're right, it's almost impossible to cut yourself with it. They don't give the closest shave in the world but are comfortable. But you don't need all of those passes with a cartridge razor, that's probably why you got the bumps and burn. Just a WTG and ATG are all that's necessary. A Mach 3 is better but cartridge refills are too pricey.

Top Bottom