What's new

s. r. consortium

Now that I understand your idea better, I understand why it does not exist. This would requite a massive effort on the part of competitive parts suppliers, razor suppliers, service providers, etc., all over the world, to support a single platform on the internet. The closest I can think of is our Badger & Blade with the wide variety of forums offered: BST, Shave Clinic, Soaps, Strops, etc. There are close to 40 forums here. And you have the ability to Private Message any member for help with any topic.

If you delve into B&B, as I have, I think you will find it adequate for the purpose referenced in your original post.

Wiki probably comes closest or is at least technically capable of becoming a hub or catalog of All The Things.

Disadvantage: It takes work to distill conversationally acquired knowledge into resource lists. Ideally the person *asking* the question does the work of recording the answer(s) that worked for them. Letting vendors do it opens a can of worms.

Been here a minute or two, have never seen someone ask a normal question and not get an answer.

Making a call to compile all the knowledge from the members here into someone's personal FB page seems sketchy to me.

The solution - when anyone can't figure something out, or can't find the parts, plans, directions, or guidance they need, they should just ask their questions here on B&B and the answers and solutions will flow.

I have tried to find information I cannot find.
I have looked for things that cannot be found.

Well, everyone else found what they were looking for, probably because they asked for help.

My straight razor journey started just over two years ago. I have spent a lot of time learning about many topics. The learning process for anything non-trivial is not linear and requires effort. And once you learn something well and it sinks in, it doesn't seem like the big deal it was when you first learned it.

For me, this makes the hobby that much more rewarding. And Badger & Blade has been the go-to place for all of this.

Ask questions. PM members who are knowledgeable about specific topics.

Been here a minute or two, have never seen someone ask a normal question and not get an answer.

Making a call to compile all the knowledge from the members here into someone's personal FB page seems sketchy to me.

The solution - when anyone can't figure something out, or can't find the parts, plans, directions, or guidance they need, they should just ask their questions here on B&B and the answers and solutions will flow.

I have tried to find information I cannot find.
I have looked for things that cannot be found.

Well, everyone else found what they were looking for, probably because they asked for help.
I've explained this somewhere else before. but forums are forums they're great for she ran across doing forum stuff, but they're not real good for ordering collars or pens or nippers, and I don't see a lot of people buying and selling anything. my point is I can come here and ask and you can tell me to Google it and I can Google it and find nothing which leads us back to here. but that's just my thinking?

@neiasden, you are assuming that "collectors" are into this for the money. Almost no collectors are collecting for possible future financial gain, be that shaving gear or any other sort of "collecting".

The only reason that I can see for any sort of "consortium" is to possibly make it easier for those who wish to get or are into SRs (the fools) to find what they are looking for. Part of the enjoyment of collecting is the hunt.

@neiasden, you are assuming that "collectors" are into this for the money. Almost no collectors are collecting for possible future financial gain, be that shaving gear or any other sort of "collecting".

The only reason that I can see for any sort of "consortium" is to possibly make it easier for those who wish to get or are into SRs (the fools) to find what they are looking for. Part of the enjoyment of collecting is the hunt.

I'm not sure why you say that? I'm not assuming nothing nor did I say anything that would lead anybody to think that? by trying to get more people interested only makes sense since it's what everybody wants to do with whatever they're doing. that's why they advertise Coca-Cola they want people to drink it we want people to get into straight razors not just have 10 people bidding for the same thousand razors

I agree the Hunt is the fun part. which is why you want more people hunting for stuff it makes the stuff you're hunting for worse something nobody wants something that nobody else wants. if you don't have anybody hunting for anything that's what you have on eBay with one bid on a razor. that person isn't going to sell them very long

you don't seem to understand the consortium?. okay, here's a forum where all this great stuff can and does happening. but I don't know about the forum. I didn't know about the forum before I found out about it. so how do you find out about the forums? I mean they're great once you find them but what about the people that knows nothing about them? like me 5 months ago. a consortium is just that everybody not just one forum it's a place where you can connect with all the forms and all the sellers on eBay and Etsy and estate auctions, we need straps and scales and pins and washers polishes compounds sandpaper Dremel accessories then you can go to YouTube and just start googling who knows what you'll find maybe some good honing information? I don't know because I know nothing about it that's why I go to the consortium to find out about the forums. it's not a replacement for the forums it's an aid for the people in the forums. I'm not opposed to any extra help in my pursuit
going by what you say it sounds like you get it exactly what you say is exactly the point? it's a place for whoever needs it it's that simple I don't know what got off with it. but as far as I'm concerned posting a question and waiting for an answer from someone that might or might not be right doesn't seem like the absolute final destination. there are a lot of variables you're not considering. you just say people that collect aren't in it for the money. of course not, what does that have to do with anything we're talking about?

you say the only people that could benefit from it are.. well, if there is anyone that can benefit from it I would say it's good. what I'm hearing on here is let's keep it to ourselves and hope nobody ever bids on anything? I don't see that having much potential

Now that I understand your idea better, I understand why it does not exist. This would requite a massive effort on the part of competitive parts suppliers, razor suppliers, service providers, etc., all over the world, to support a single platform on the internet. The closest I can think of is our Badger & Blade with the wide variety of forums offered: BST, Shave Clinic, Soaps, Strops, etc. There are close to 40 forums here. And you have the ability to Private Message any member for help with any topic.

If you delve into B&B, as I have, I think you will find it adequate for the purpose referenced in your original post.
it is definitely a great place for everything. I never said it isn't. that's still not quite the point. I'm not trying to do all of that I'm just trying to put all that information in one place. it was probably just a bad idea nobody seems to understand. forums are great and they are all you need. if that's all you're looking for is a forum to talk to people. but if you're trying to order parts or go through scale material I don't really need to come to a forum but the consortium being the place where all the forums and suppliers are that would be a useful place. it'll never happen it was just a thought and I've got plenty of ideas from it

what videos do you recommend for honing with synthetics? I found so many. I'm not sure which ones to believe? I was sure synthetics was the way to go but it's probably better to go natural but easier with synthetics? get my mind off the consortium and back on to razors LOL

but it was definitely never about being b not being able to cover everything, because you do, there is nothing you can figure out on here, but I don't always need to get my answers that way and I would just like a place to go and skip all of the useless search results. it was just an idea and you all have once again been awesome. that has never been the motivation LOL making it easier to find b&b, putting the information out there where people don't have to ask and they also don't have to Google hundreds of sites. if I had it perfected I would be doing it already lol but thank you guys, don't ever think this isn't a place for everything because that's not what I'm thinking

There is another important aspect to consider here. You can only get so much from reading, studying, searching. This whole business of straight razor shaving solidifies with experience - practice and use. Straight razor shaving involves muscle memory, learning various grips, shave angle, pressure, stroke, razor maintenance, etc. Unless you master these, reading and study will not get you where you need to be. Once you master these and become familiar with the various tools (soaps, brushes, strops, honing stones, paste, film, proper storage items, etc.) you will no longer be looking for answers, people will be asking questions of you.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
One "problem", if you will, is that there are usually multiple ways to get something done, and multiple sources and materials, and in this community some of us are very opinionated. For example, most of those few who disagree with me are very arbitrary, combative, and opinionated, and so there is my correct way and their wrong way. LOL JK but you get what I mean. Seriously, there is a lot of argument and rock throwing at ideas and theories. If you ask me the best way to hone a razor, I have my methods, called, appropriately enough if unimaginatively, "The Method". Some others say that's just a bunch of crazy BS, doesn't work any better than the old Norton 8k and CrOx on canvas, yadda yadda. Or only Jnats or only Vintage Welsh/Turkish Volcanic Thuringian Vermont Slate Coticules mined by the Keebler elves will deliver an edge worth shaving with, or the latest 30k $530 depleted unobtanium synthetic and special slurry stone and honing fluid. And that's just the honing part.

Vendors are easy enough to find. Just watch the threads, copy and paste little tidbits about who bought what, where, for how much, and how he liked his new treasure. The popular ones that get a lot of mention are generally safe bets. Good ebay sellers are few, and mostly known here, but you can give them a preliminary vetting by looking at the number of sales and the feedback ratings. The guy who sells nothing but shave ready straight razors and has sold hundreds of them with a 99.97% feedback rating is definitely one to watch, and it is perfectly okay to ask about the seller here, or post a link to a "Buy It Now" listing, just not an active auction. The good guys are all known.

Finally, be careful what you search for.
A list of trusted vendors could be your downfall! It is easy to step off the edge into the deep end.

I've explained this somewhere else before. but forums are forums they're great for she ran across doing forum stuff, but they're not real good for ordering collars or pens or nippers, and I don't see a lot of people buying and selling anything. my point is I can come here and ask and you can tell me to Google it and I can Google it and find nothing which leads us back to here. but that's just my thinking?
Thing is, 'explained it before' means nothing when those explanations doesn't hold water.
The explained thinking, for some reason, seems to overlook massively obvious points and just about everyone else's feedback here and on other forums.
The focus of the concept is on what I see as a non-existent problem.

How it usually works...
Person A can't find something. Then person B else helps them find where to get it.
Then, person A goes and gets it.
That sort of dynamic is not perceived as a problem by anyone I know.
Claiming that it's better to get said item from the same place where it was asked about makes no sense.

Where to get things and info that have been been claimed as "can't be found" - have been found, here, on B&B, by every one of the thousands of users that came and asked for help.
What, exactly, is it that can't be found? Perhaps search skills need improvement.

The proposed 'solution' to finding what can't be found reads like using shaving forums to create a commercial sales platform on Facebook. I see no benefit to the idea, for anyone other than the creator of the page.

Anyone asking where to buy something will get an answer here. When someone asks where to get washers, the people who know where to get washers tell them. And so on.

Sure, someone might say 'google it'. And if a Google search for a retail item leads someone back to B&B, I would guess the search wasn't executed correctly. Citing specific threads and posts along with the relevant Google search terms and returns might help shed light on the matter.

No, this isn't a sales board, it's an information board that thrives on personal (community) interaction.
It's not good for ordering parts or tools because that's not the point of the forum. There are good places to order parts and you can find out about them here.
If someone can't find where to source what they need to restore a razor here, the problem isn't B&B, it's them.

If asking for help here and then taking direction to buy something elsewhere is some sort of issue, I'd say that the "issues" were created for some reason that isn't clearly visible.
Doing a google search for straight razor washers brings up too many hits to count. Same for just about everything else. I can't think of a single thing we use that is 'unfindable'.

Thing is, 'explained it before' means nothing when those explanations doesn't hold water.
The explained thinking, for some reason, seems to overlook massively obvious points and just about everyone else's feedback here and on other forums.
The focus of the concept is on what I see as a non-existent problem.

How it usually works...
Person A can't find something. Then person B else helps them find where to get it.
Then, person A goes and gets it.
That sort of dynamic is not perceived as a problem by anyone I know.
Claiming that it's better to get said item from the same place where it was asked about makes no sense.

Where to get things and info that have been been claimed as "can't be found" - have been found, here, on B&B, by every one of the thousands of users that came and asked for help.
What, exactly, is it that can't be found? Perhaps search skills need improvement.

The proposed 'solution' to finding what can't be found reads like using shaving forums to create a commercial sales platform on Facebook. I see no benefit to the idea, for anyone other than the creator of the page.

Anyone asking where to buy something will get an answer here. When someone asks where to get washers, the people who know where to get washers tell them. And so on.

Sure, someone might say 'google it'. And if a Google search for a retail item leads someone back to B&B, I would guess the search wasn't executed correctly. Citing specific threads and posts along with the relevant Google search terms and returns might help shed light on the matter.

No, this isn't a sales board, it's an information board that thrives on personal (community) interaction.
It's not good for ordering parts or tools because that's not the point of the forum. There are good places to order parts and you can find out about them here.
If someone can't find where to source what they need to restore a razor here, the problem isn't B&B, it's them.

If asking for help here and then taking direction to buy something elsewhere is some sort of issue, I'd say that the "issues" were created for some reason that isn't clearly visible.
Doing a google search for straight razor washers brings up too many hits to count. Same for just about everything else. I can't think of a single thing we use that is 'unfindable'.
thank you for your reply but seriously all I was ever talking about is something like a Facebook page, not a Facebook page. just a page that has all the links to everything you listed. just a simple page with a bunch of links on it that would say something like for trusted sellers click here. for supplies click here click here for instructional videos click here.

it's almost funny all this over a simple suggestion of a page to make things easier for somebody that doesn't already know. maybe you should go back to when you didn't know and try to makes sense out of 10 people telling you 10 different things. but it's all good there's nothing wrong with forms. and there's nothing wrong with a page that directs people to them as well as other places either. I think I'm done with asking questions though I think I'll just read there's too much looking into a simple question for my taste lol but I think every one of you for taking the time you are a bunch of great people and I am well aware of how little I know. I apologize for thinking out of the box.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Your best bet is Google search. Google has ‘bots’ that crawl the entire internet to index content and keywords, a ‘comsortium’. Google keeps it up to date to a remarkably good degree, since you can’t sell stuff that isn’t there.

If you don’t find what you want in the first search, the first search will give you a lot of clues for other searches.

Top Bottom