What's new

Russian vs Latigo. Choose

Russian or Latigo

• Russian

• Latigo

Results are only viewable after voting.
I would like to know, from only those who have or do own both Latigo and Russian Leather (not Prima Rindleder) strops, if you could only own one, which would it be?

If you need it narrowed down further,
then say which you would own if you only used full hollows, or if you only used non-full hollows.

I am not looking for more debate, or arguments on strop leather. I just want your personal choice or preference. No need to give reasons or justifications. Just say "Latigo" or "Russian".

Please don't try to sway others choices, and please don't contribute unless you have owned and used both a Latigo and Russian Leather (not Prima Rindleder) strop. I just want to get a simple poll.

If your choice is razor dependent, then say it is your choice for full hollow, or that it is your choice for non-full hollow.

This would be the best help I could ask for on this issue, and would come in the clearest possible format (for me). I sincerely thank all who contribute.

I do have both and the thing is i am not sure that my russian leather is a typical example. it is a Illinois strop and was the first one I bought. It has a really nappy surface not at all unlike suede and i just could not ever make peace with it. after about three months of trying i bought a latigo from SRD that came with a razor in one of their combo monthly specials. I do only have full or in the case of my grelots 3/4 hollows and have not even looked at the russian one since getting the latigo. Soon i will have a english bridle to compare, but it will have to be pretty good to beat the latigo. Hope this helps.

Ian

Russian Shell, hands down. I had the pleasure for a short time of owning a TM latigo, and it never really set right to my hand. My vintage Russian Shell OTOH, will have to be torn from my cold, dead hands!

BTW TomIan... welcome to B&B.
You should take a moment to introduce yourself in something other than the Strop forum. We really are more than just a bunch of answers, and would welcome the opportunity to get to know you a bit better. And I, for one, would feel a little less used...

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

Fixed the poll for you... :001_smile

I prefer Latigo to Russian. Both are very good leather and I don't think you can go wrong with either. I find that Latigo has more drag, that's why I like it more.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
A lot will depend on which latigo vs. which Russian and even then each piece will vary. I know that no two latigo hide that have gone through my shop ever felt the same. While they all had considerable drag they had a great range from piece to piece. One of my suppliers offers 5 different latigo tannings each with a different feel.

"Russian" can have a wide range of what it means today. Many vintage Russian strops were horsehide like the shell strop mentioned earlier, others are cow and even calf hide. Russian can mean it had special chemicals/barks used in the tanning process which imparted the reddish color often seen, other were slightly impregnated with a very mild abrasive like iron oxide to make them more aggressive, others are compressed to make them firm and dense (more like horsehide is) and some are even textured. All will feel different.

Some of what is out there today would be the Illinois 827 which is a reversed and compressed cowhide...the flesh side is the stropping side which imparts a rough texture and the back side has ridges which serve to compress and harden the leather. Jemico make a long, narrow Russian strop with a slightly brushed finish and a reddish color that may or may not have a different tanning than the regular version of the same strop. Jemico also used to make a short Red Russian strop with the back surface compressed in a pebble grain texture, again to harden the leather and make it more dense and a strop which almost certainly contained a mild abrasive buy how aggressively it sharpened. I think Dovo has a variation on the same pebble textured back on it widest strop. I have experimented with both hard and soft tempered horsehide and I think Ambrose has as well. Keith at Hand American has done some strops with a rolled/textured finish which offers its own advantages.

Comparing latigo among the curent makers is much harder because of the variation in hides and tanning. We all may used different suppliers which means different latigo and even if all used the same supplier and tanning the finished feel would vary day to day depending on the hide. One vendor/maker may win today's test, another would win tomorrow's as far as how it feels, how effective it is and how much draw it has. The only real consistant difference on latigo strops would be the workmanship and details of each individual maker or reseller.

I think out of today's choices the Illinois 827 will feel the most different from any other strop out there simply because of the texture. years ago I used to offer a custom strop based on Illinois components, an Illinois cloth component, an 827 leather (coarse) to start on and a 127 leather (fine) to finish on all bound into a single, 3 part strop.

Tony

I've had two latigo strops. One handmade and one retail one. I much prefer any/all of my dozen or so Shell/Cordovan/Russian/HorseHide/Shoulder/other misc names to it. Latigo just has way too much grip and doesn't even feel that smooth to me. Maybe I'll try a real high end Latigo some day and like it, but so far "Horsehide" and it's various nom de plumes have suited me much better.

I very much appreciate your explanations on the variability inherent with today's strops, Mr. Miller.
It always seems like when I look for an answer to this question, that the conversations veer off course.
I own a Latigo strop, and was looking at the Jemico and Dovo Russian leather strops. I'd like an improvement on what I am doing, but am afraid that I'd end up spending $50+ on something that won't feel different.
I have read that shell and Russian finished leather seemed to perform better with respect to finishing the perfect hone on a full hollow.
I really only want to use a hair splitter when I shave, and my beard is so thick and course, I like to have a second hair splitter on hand. The problem is that it seems really difficult to strop it to that point. I seem to strop to where it splits hairs on some of the blade (usually away from the middle), but then when I strop more in an effort to get the whole blade up to spec, the blade can actually lose that hair splitter sharpness where I had it.
This tells me that I am getting different results as I strop. I am trying to find consistency, and wonder if that might be easier with the Russian leather or a vintage shell off ebay. I feel like sometimes the Latigo really works, but it seems to be very sensitive to the slightest change in pressure, angle, and how often I rub it with my palm. I wonder if those who like the Latigo have a lighter and more practiced hand.
Also, I am using the yellow strop paste that (I think) is for Russian leather on the Latigo. Is this okay? Should I be using something else? The shop where I got the strop was happy to sell that along with it, so I assume it is good for it.

Also, I will try to get an intro post done soon. I just really wanted some help with this strop info. I like shaving with my straights most of all, but when I go out of hone, it has been a real challenge getting my razors back to where they need to be. I haven't figured out what is working, what is not, and have no idea how long it will take me to complete the task once I begin.
FYI, I have the Nortons from 220 to 8000 and all in between, and a Naniwa 12000. I could never get the edge I wanted with the 8000, but did get there with the Naniwa 12000. Maybe it will expose a problem with my technique as well, since I often read that the 1000/8000 Norton is all that's needed.

Top Bottom