What's new

Runners: shoe mileage?

Just wondering how many miles you guys get out of a pair of running shoes?

I just retired a pair with ~350 miles on them. Could've squeezed out some more miles, but they felt like they were not providing the cushion they used to.

I put more miles on shoes than most people. Average 600 a pair. But those are Newton or Altra both of which I find are longer lasting brands than others. Back when I wore Nike, probably only got 300.

I think there are a lot of factors that contribute to how long a shoe lasts - what kind of shoe (lightweight trainer, one with more cushion, etc.), the types of runs you do (are you doing lots of long runs, tempo, track work), your running style (how you land - fore foot, heel striker), your weight, and the brand.

I love the Saucony Kinvara but I never got more than 300 miles from them. I have a pair of Nike Free right now and they are good at about 250 miles. I also have a pair of Saucony racing flats, the A6 (I think), and they are still good at about 150.

But overall, 350 miles tends to be about the average.

I don't put as much mileage on as I used to - just an average of 20 miles a week. Change my shoes about every nine months or I pay for it

From my Asics I get crazy mileage. I run 7-14 miles a week on average but I'm about 280lbs: If they can survive that beating they're good for anyone. I also second the saucony complaint: love the colors and designs but they broke down faster than any shoe I've ever owned.

Also you're supposed to have two pairs of running shoes and alternate them. That allows the puff to get back into the ones you beat out the previous day.

If you're like me and life a lot of weight that also breaks soles down. Something to keep in mind.

New Boracays arrived.

I looked back at Strava and found that I have been using the current pair since January 24th; just over 4 months. I'll still use them awhile longer. I probably don't change often enough (6-9 months), but I really don't log many miles. I have worn small areas of the outsole away up near the toes of both shoes. Glad I found the new ones online for a fraction of what I paid for the first pair.

Getting a new pair of running shoes is like changing spark plugs: you realize how much you needed new ones after swapping them!

300 - 400 is about normal for me. I like the Brooks Adrenaline which usually gets me close to 400 and the Saucony Grid Omni--but the last couple pair of those I bought only lasted about 250. The Nike Lunar Glide also gets me closer to 400.

Side note--I bought the Garmin Forerunner 230 earlier this year and it tracks how many mileage are on my shoes. Really great feature so I no longer have to keep spreadsheets to track my miles (yes--I'm that anal).

Are those ultra-cushioned? The sole looks nice and thick
I was worried they'd be too soft and compress quickly. I've had running shoes advertised as "high cushion" that felt too soft, almost sloppy, and the forefoot compressed quickly and lost it's cushion. There is definitely more shock absorption than the GT-1000s. But they are good on hard surfaces and the trail. And the old pair is the same height as the new arrivals, and there is no wedging at the heel, as usually occurs with my running shoes. This "Fresh Foam" provides a decent blend of cushion and durability. The outsole is thin, though, and I have worn through the thinnest portion near the toes.

Last edited:
Finally ran with the new shoes...almost a month and a half later. Felt great. The other pair really hadn't broken down substantially, aside from the toe area.

Pulled out a new pair tonight. The retired pair took me 223 miles in about 4.5 months. Replaced with the same shoe. Appreciated the new cushion tonight.

Top Bottom