What's new

Rum

I have to say my favorite rum is by far Appleton's. I have found it here in the states but for some reason it just tastes a little better in Jamaica. In Jamaica you can also find the "overproof" white rum, which is not available in the states. That is some white lightning!

Can't go wrong with the Appleton's of any variety.

Huge fan of Jamaican Rum!! Appleton's is great. Incidentally Wray and Nephew Overproof is available in the states, although you have to look around to find it. I get it regularly at a specialty foods and wine store near my location. My top three for sipping straight or with one ice cube:

1. Edwin Charley Virtue Select Single Barrell - Wow!
2. Gosling Black Seal - Bermuda, sugar cane, British trade, etc. and its $15 bucks for a fifth!
3. Appleton Estate 21 Year - Yum...just yum.

When I was in the Turks and Caicos, the local expatriots all drank the Haitian rum, Barbancourt. I tried it and like it quite a bit. They have a 4 year old 3 star and a Reserve 8 year old 5 star. Actually the 3 star is quite good and not very expensive. You do get more with the 8 year. I have not tried the 15 year old.

Dave

Received a bottle of Santa Teresa 1796 Ron Antiguo de Solera on my last birthday. This is a fine Venezuelan anejo aged for over 15 years. Reddish brown in color, sweet taste. Yum!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Tanduay Red Rhum from the Philippines. Gotta be the best rum value cost / quality I've ever had.

I have only had the one "expression" of it, as I recall.

proxy.php

Probably the least expensive version. I would love to try the others. I think it has come and gone from the US market a couple of times since I have been drinking it.

I have had Rhum Clement, not the VSOP as I recall, and it is intense and good. Have not heard of La Favorite and have not had but have read all good things about Neisson. As I said, I think all of these makers really know what they are about and really care about what they are doing. These rums may not be so immediately accessible to the American palate, but I think like many other spirits, one learns to appreciate them and then "craves" them! We were in Guadaloupe a long time ago, and their they drank room temp rum punches which were bascially shots of rum mascerated in various fruits and probably spices, with little or no sweetening. Again, pretty out of the ordinary for what we in the States are used to, but after a bit you grow to appreciate what they are doing, although I do not think I really got to the "craving" stage with them.

There are some great rums listed here. I found the St. James to be overpriced, bland and disappointing. Not a complex flavor for me, and cutting it with an ice cube or a bit of water makes it dull without the alcohol bite. I've been using it for daquiri mixers.

The cruzan single barrel is a nice sipper. Diplomatico from venezuela is another sweet but tasty rum.

Top Bottom