What's new

Rudy Vey Custom Shaving Brushes and Restorations

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Wow, that's a beauty Scott. I really like how the colors work together.

That was my initial reaction. When Rudy said he could bring it back to its natural look I was a bit skeptical, but man look at it, I love the way those silver tips contrast it. I can not wait till it gets to Missouri.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
It was widely discussed in the Shaving brushes forum that several of other brushes are sold in the bulb form, but the pictures we see on different sites are more the fan shaped knots. If someone, like I do, prefer a fan shaped knot in a brush, I am not very happy if my brush shows up with a bulb shaped, or even a very pointy knot. Here is a picture of three Shavemac knots I have waiting to be put into my custom handles. The one on the left side is the bulb shape. The middle one is the (standard) fan shaped knot. The knot on the very right is what I call the extreme Flattop, or extreme fan shaped knot.

Also, if you are going with the extreme flattop, go a number smaller than you think. This knot has a lot of hair in your face!! Personally, I have a 19 mm knot and would recommend not go over 22 mm, I think the perfect size for a face latherer would be 20 mm. I had one customer going with a 24 mm knot, and it is huge. I think a standard brush would be well over 30 mm knot size to come even close with the amount of hair that is on your face:tongue_sm

I hope this little "educational" piece helps you to decide which knot shape is the best for you.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I got my Simms back yesterday. It looks even better in person.:thumbup: Shaved with it last night.:thumbup1: I must say Finest Badger is a bit different feel than cheap boar.:thumbup::thumbup:

Great Job Rudy......Thanks.

Last edited:
It was widely discussed in the Shaving brushes forum that several of other brushes are sold in the bulb form, but the pictures we see on different sites are more the fan shaped knots. If someone, like I do, prefer a fan shaped knot in a brush, I am not very happy if my brush shows up with a bulb shaped, or even a very pointy knot. Here is a picture of three Shavemac knots I have waiting to be put into my custom handles. The one on the left side is the bulb shape. The middle one is the (standard) fan shaped knot. The knot on the very right is what I call the extreme Flattop, or extreme fan shaped knot.

Also, if you are going with the extreme flattop, go a number smaller than you think. This knot has a lot of hair in your face!! Personally, I have a 19 mm knot and would recommend not go over 22 mm, I think the perfect size for a face latherer would be 20 mm. I had one customer going with a 24 mm knot, and it is huge. I think a standard brush would be well over 30 mm knot size to come even close with the amount of hair that is on your face:tongue_sm

I hope this little "educational" piece helps you to decide which knot shape is the best for you.

I have a 23-24mm extreme flat top, but my loft is only 42-43mm so it works quite well on my face and doesn't feel too large. I still think it is breaking in after over a month of use (though admittedly not everyday).

Truly a magnificent knot though.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Hey all,

I posted pics of this retoration Rudy did for me a while back. I wanted to post another picture of it starting to bloom. I will post another when she hits maturity.

Hey all,

I posted pics of this retoration Rudy did for me a while back. I wanted to post another picture of it starting to bloom. I will post another when she hits maturity.

Looks really great, man. :thumbup1:

I have a couple Ever-Ready handles coming in off the bay, and I'm thinking about getting one of the flat-tops in one to make it really unique.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Looks really great, man. :thumbup1:

I have a couple Ever-Ready handles coming in off the bay, and I'm thinking about getting one of the flat-tops in one to make it really unique.

I think that would look awesome!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Hold on, I will post a pic of the one handle I want to use... you guys tell me what you think.

*edit* What do you think? Extreme flat-top?

That would look awesome, and indeed be a very unique brush with a flat top. I would go for it.:thumbup:

Hold on, I will post a pic of the one handle I want to use... you guys tell me what you think.

Well, this one showed up in the mail today... the handle is in great condition, but man it is really tiny. I'm not sure now, what the best route is to go with this one. What is typically the best replacement knot for a very small brush handle?

Rudy Vey

This is a beautiful handle, and I think an extreme Flattop would look good in it!!

This is a beautiful handle, and I think an extreme Flattop would look good in it!!

Thanks, Rudy.

My second Ever-Ready handle arrived in the mail. It's a similar clear lucite, but normal size and has a hexagonal shape (pictured below). I think what I have decided to do is to put the flat-top in the larger one and I want to use the tiny brush as a Proraso pre-shave scoop. I guess what I would need for that is a semi-tall stiff knot... maybe a synthetic?

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
OK Rudy, I have $5.00 wrapped up in these two brushes. Can you make em pretty. PM me with some ideas.

Rudy Vey

Guys two things I want to write about here today.
The first is about your brushes sent in for restoration. Please, put a little note, or a business card with your information inside the box with the brush (should contain you name, also your B+B screen name if you are from here, and your address, and if possible a quick description of what should be done). I am getting a lot of boxes with nothing but the brush inside. Sometimes the hand written sender info is not readable, and it takes quite some detective work to match to the owner.

Secondly, an old brush can be sometimes very brittle and may crack or even totally break when working on it. I am very careful when I work on your brush, but sometimes the worst thing can happen. I had two cases where this happened. This really is upsetting to the customer and myself. There are some old brushes out there that feel solid and heavy, but in reality the material is only as thick as an eggshell!! And do not forget, the old types of plastics and resins have aged over time and sometimes are really brittle.
So, please understand there is always a little risk involved....

Guys two things I want to write about here today.
The first is about your brushes sent in for restoration. Please, put a little note, or a business card with your information inside the box with the brush (should contain you name, also your B+B screen name if you are from here, and your address, and if possible a quick description of what should be done). I am getting a lot of boxes with nothing but the brush inside. Sometimes the hand written sender info is not readable, and it takes quite some detective work to match to the owner.

Secondly, an old brush can be sometimes very brittle and may crack or even totally break when working on it. I am very careful when I work on your brush, but sometimes the worst thing can happen. I had two cases where this happened. This really is upsetting to the customer and myself. There are some old brushes out there that feel solid and heavy, but in reality the material is only as thick as an eggshell!! And do not forget, the old types of plastics and resins have aged over time and sometimes are really brittle.
So, please understand there is always a little risk involved....

It is sad but it does happen. Had it happen to me even on brushes I thought would be fine.

Top Bottom