What's new

Rubberset 153 anatomy

Greetings, and a question or two. I have a recently acquired Rubberset 153, a model I've seen referenced here once or twice, and I posted photos several days ago in the acquisition thread. This is a bakelite handle, with black ferrule. In the reference material I've found, it looks like some of the bakelite Rubbersets have ferrules that are threaded, or that screw off. I don't believe the one I have is threaded, but am not sure. Is there some way to tell, by model number or appearance? Also, are there any other special features on these brushes to be aware of when re-knotting? Thanks!

I've restored nine Rubberset handles. The only handle I know for sure is threaded is the Aluminum 400 series. Odd. . . .two recent Rubberset restorations had threaded ferrules. On one, I know the lower portion of the handle isn't threaded. The other, I'm not sure if the lower is threaded, as there is too much old epoxy or glue (or whatever was used to adhere the ferrule to the lower). I didn't want to risk damaging the ferrule trying to get it off. The other Rubbersets did not have threaded ferrules.

I doubt it's linked to model number. Exterior appearance. . . .I highly doubt it.

Besides the 400s, I found out of the threaded ferrules by accident. . .when drilling the old knots out. lol

Thanks Gigster, that is about what I thought. I don't want to go twisting on the ferrule trying to find out if it's threaded!

My pleasure.

Unless I know it was made to be taken apart, I purposely stay away from trying to take handles apart, since older plastics can become somewhat brittle over the years. lol Sometimes, that old plastic just doesn't want to cooperate like I want (or wish) it to.

I think manufactures threaded ferrules and the brush lowers to make assembly easier and quicker, as well as improving quality control.

Think of this (two-piece shaving brushes). . . .a Rubberset assembly person receives a box of polished lowers and a box of assembled uppers (knot already glued into the ferrule). A little glue is applied to the upper thread on the lower and to the mid or upper threads in the ferrule. The ferrule is mated to the lower with a couple of twists. . . .secure, properly fitted (even spacing between ferrule and lower, or a flush finish) and with little effort.

On the other hand, if the ferrule slips over a tenon on the lower portion of the handle, there is more room for error (depending on how quickly the glue sets up).

Just thought I'd post an update: While preparing to remove the old bristle knot from this brush, I was showing SWMBO how stiff the old knot was. As I mentioned, I was not going to apply torque to this brush to find out if it was threaded or not. SWMBO, however, had made no such commitment. For some reason known only to her, as soon as it was in her hands, she gave it a twist, and presto! It was, indeed, threaded, and fortunately, the old glue gave way instead of the brush material. I post this in case it may be helpful to anyone else who might try working on a Rubberset 153. I still wouldn't recommend using brute force to unthread it. I think I was just lucky with this one!

My butterscotch 153 lower black upper is definitely threaded. I'm at the beginning stages of the restore and have found that in the upper you can place 6 nickels and 1 penny inside to add 1.75 ounces to the weight. That exact amount leaves for no wiggle room inside. It's now my 31¢ brush!

Top Bottom