What's new

Rooney "Foxhunt" restore

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Wow! Thanks, guys.

I did try to make the vintage knot work, it was just too thin.

The resin or glue is like the hardest substance I ever tried to remove... Makes Liquid Nails look like Elmer's. There's some still in there, maybe a millimeter or two, if I want to set the knot deeper. But there was a ring where the knot just seemed to go, so we'll try it there.

That class of badger is new to me, love Simpson Best, don't like other makers pure... 🤔 This knot splays like crazy! Said to be good grade and minimally processed.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Here's another one... It's not too uncommon but the set seems pricy.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Lost two hairs in first real use, but generated so much lather it was ridiculous! Splays to half your face!

Using my Simpsons as a benchmark, this knot is puzzling. Less dense and loftier perhaps but the lather storm out of this 20mm knot is remarkable.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Looks really good AA!

Thanks! Really liking it a lot.

It's lost a couple hairs, and I actually clipped a wild one... But it's a lather machine. Almost floppy, almost. Crazy how a 20mm can splay like that. Love the ceramic weight.

I can see a difference between generic silvertip and Simpson Best, but can't feel a difference. Dunno. Might have some soft BB. Can tell you I dislike pure; it turned me against badgers for years.

AA

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Thanks! Really liking it a lot.

It's lost a couple hairs, and I actually clipped a wild one... But it's a lather machine. Almost floppy, almost. Crazy how a 20mm can splay like that. Love the ceramic weight.

I can see a difference between generic silvertip and Simpson Best, but can't feel a difference. Dunno. Might have some soft BB. Can tell you I dislike pure; it turned me against badgers for years.

AA
Not a pure fan either. Too much scritch for me. A good Silvertip or an omega boar is good for me.

Here's another one... It's not too uncommon but the set seems pricy.

They are out there. Mine was cheap from a vintage mall, sporting a worn and nasty knot. And, yes, it was a little troublesome to re-knot. Pairs well with a FOCS!
61C9222F-72EB-4716-B184-5C09E19DFE2B.jpeg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
They are out there. Mine was cheap from a vintage mall, sporting a worn and nasty knot. And, yes, it was a little troublesome to re-knot. Pairs well with a FOCS!
View attachment 1213459

Outstanding! Has a great weight and feel, does it not?

And if anyone wants the set, there are two on the bid site:

$175 and $250. 🤔 I'm gonna pass.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Enjoyed this brush today, wanted to check on the thread.

It's never left a rotation that includes about five Simpsons. By comparison, it's much less dense, almost floppy... You can see it poofs up bigger than a 24mm Simpson Commodore X3.

But it IS very soft, would agree it's Silvertip though not of the high end quality. Knot has not come out either. Despite being set with a hot glue gun! 🤣 And I do bang it dry. As with all of them. 🤔 It might have lost a couple hairs in the first week, but never again.

AA

Saw the Rooney fox and hounds set on the bay for a pricy sum... But saw the brush for $6, so.

It arrived the other day.

full

Now. I did try the vintage knot. I don't care for boars too much anymore, so removed it.

It's a 20mm hole, ordered a 20mm Silvertip badger knot. Didn't have a 19mm!

The brush handle is ceramic, has nice weight and the Keyhole shape that I really like on the Simpson KH3. Thought it should have a good knot. Hope it fits, as can't drill this one!

AA
Really nice. 👍

linty1

My wallet cries.
$6 is a heckuva deal, I saw one for around $35 on the bay and haggled it down to $20 for the same brush, will try the knot to see how I like it. When you reknotted yours, @Ad Astra, was there extra dig depth if I wanted to set a new knot deeper? Or was it all porcelain inside?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
$6 is a heckuva deal, I saw one for around $35 on the bay and haggled it down to $20 for the same brush, will try the knot to see how I like it. When you reknotted yours, @Ad Astra, was there extra dig depth if I wanted to set a new knot deeper? Or was it all porcelain inside?
🤔 No, it's all porcelain. Gotta be careful. But glue allows flexibility.

Time's passed and this one is still a fave!

AA

linty1

My wallet cries.
🤔 No, it's all porcelain. Gotta be careful. But glue allows flexibility.

Time's passed and this one is still a fave!

AA

How are you finding it these days? Is it super floppy/like a kent floppy? Could I bug you for a loft measurement? Thank you for all your help.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
How are you finding it these days? Is it super floppy/like a kent floppy? Could I bug you for a loft measurement? Thank you for all your help.

Sure! It's a Shave Forge 20mm, unsure of loft, here is is compared with well-known synths and badgers ...

fff.jpg

ff.jpg

That knot is less dense than the Simpsons, for sure ... still not bad.

AA

Top Bottom