What's new

Roadkill Cuisine Is Cheap Meat (say What!!!) :-o

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Anybody heard about this latest trend...Roadkill Cuisine?
proxy.php

I don't think I'd try it unless there was 'not-ting' to eat or a Zombie Apocalypse.
proxy.php

By Underknown - YouTube - 22 Jul 2022

"Eating roadkill is gaining in popularity, especially in the U.S., Australia and Canada. California has recently become the 29th state to legalize the collection and consumption of roadkill. And with the economy in a tight way, eating roadkill might be a great cheap option for people’s strapped food budgets".

In the video above;

00:00 Intro
00:42 This is Roadkill Cuisine
01:07 Inflation
01:25 Positives Aspects
02:43 Roadkill Festivals
proxy.php

03:40 Roadkill Laws

1697759924043.jpeg
Eating food is more fun when you know it was hit on the run". The Gospel of Roadkill Cuisine

Last edited:
On the way to my friends in the hills, I saw somebody pulled over talking to a cop
next to a road kill deer about a thousand yards from my friends house.
I told my friend when I got there and he put me on the phone with his dad.
Their primary concern was just exactly how long ago I had seen what I saw.

I didn't go with them to get it, but they got it and I remember helping them eat it.
They made a good jerky and some other things out of it.

Legion

Staff member
I remember talking to a guy who told me how he drove up on a freshly hit roo on the side of the road one morning. Rather than put the whole thing in his car he hung the carcass and proceeded to butcher it right there. Which was fine until the school bus of small kids pulled up...

I remember talking to a guy who told me how he drove up on a freshly hit roo on the side of the road one morning. Rather than put the whole thing in his car he hung the carcass and proceeded to butcher it right there. Which was fine until the school bus of small kids pulled up...
In my opinion, it was fine even after the school bus arrived. More so, never miss an opportunity to educate young minds.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Don't matter whether you get 'em with a gun or a Goodyear; it's all good eatin'.

When we lived in South Dakota the state cops would sell you a special hunting license so you could load that deer you just mulched into the back of the truck and take it home.

Lots of guys would cruise the highways once a week with a flat-deck trailer, picking up frozen deer carcasses and taking them home for dog food. "Here, boy..." THUD. Easy.

I bought a turkey fryer and there was a card in the box asking for recipes, with a promise that a cookbook would be sent to contributors. So I sent in a recipe for Sweet & Sour Coon, and those cheapskates stiffed me the cookbook.

So I can understand how it goes. Tonight, though; meatloaf.

O.H.

Don't matter whether you get 'em with a gun or a Goodyear; it's all good eatin'.

When we lived in South Dakota the state cops would sell you a special hunting license so you could load that deer you just mulched into the back of the truck and take it home.

Lots of guys would cruise the highways once a week with a flat-deck trailer, picking up frozen deer carcasses and taking them home for dog food. "Here, boy..." THUD. Easy.

I bought a turkey fryer and there was a card in the box asking for recipes, with a promise that a cookbook would be sent to contributors. So I sent in a recipe for Sweet & Sour Coon, and those cheapskates stiffed me the cookbook.

So I can understand how it goes. Tonight, though; meatloaf.

O.H.
Colorado is the same. The State Patrol will write you a hunting license so you can possess the deer or elk that just totaled your car. What's amazing is the number of elk that get hit, get up, dust themselves off, and trot off afterwards. (They've gotta be hurting the next day.)

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Not sure if it's as easy as just hitting a deer and making dinner out of it. I was on a climbing trip in Scotland when I was much younger and on a train not long after leaving Oban station one dark evening there was a huge bang, all the lights went out and the train stopped. We'd hit a stag full on, yes the stag was dead, but on the other hand so was our 200 tonne train. It took more than an hour to get it going again. As for eating the stag seeing the blood covered train and a bit of leg caught up in the undercarriage put me right off venison.

I had a customer that grew up in rural Kentucky and road kill was a big part of his family’s diet. He said his job was to collect the road kill, bring it home and butcher it. He said that they always hoped for squirrel over possum.

I told my kids about this and they should never complain about their mother’s meatloaf again.

Not sure if it's as easy as just hitting a deer and making dinner out of it. I was on a climbing trip in Scotland when I was much younger and on a train not long after leaving Oban station one dark evening there was a huge bang, all the lights went out and the train stopped. We'd hit a stag full on, yes the stag was dead, but on the other hand so was our 200 tonne train. It took more than an hour to get it going again. As for eating the stag seeing the blood covered train and a bit of leg caught up in the undercarriage put me right off venison.
In the fall around my house the deer are running everywhere during rut. Last year when I was driving southbound a doe came out of nowhere and literally jumped in front a truck headed northbound. I saw the impact and a pink mist covered the road. The truck literally vaporized the deer. About the only thing left were the hooves. I told my grandson and he looked at his sister and said, “ Bambi got smoked “ she punched him in the arm and told him he wasn’t funny. I couldn’t look at her, I was laughing too hard.

A few weeks ago, just about dusk, I turned, and slammed on my brakes because there was a deer crossing the road. It was moving fairly fast, and I wasn't, yet, so it had time to get clear before I reached it. Good thing I hadn't come up to the speed limit of 45 yet!

A few weeks ago, just about dusk, I turned, and slammed on my brakes because there was a deer crossing the road. It was moving fairly fast, and I wasn't, yet, so it had time to get clear before I reached it. Good thing I hadn't come up to the speed limit of 45 yet!
And where there is one there are typically more. We have a serious issue here and a vote on culling the herd was passed. The only problem is they have adapted to small spaces that won’t permit hunting. They literally have eaten everything. And it’s not a problem of encroaching on the deer’s habitat. We have lived here for 20 years and there is no room for anything to be built. I have no idea what will happen.
IMG_4620.jpeg

Top Bottom