What's new

Ribeye Steak in my Cast Iron

Put oil on your steak not in the pan, that way your beef doesn't boil in oil.

At 500F you're exceeding the smoke point of most oils. .pph

+1

All of a sudden I'm thinking 500F bath for both the Lodge lg grill & the 12 incher to cross char and finish! Yummm!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'm not a big fan of "grill marks". They may please the eye and the great unwashed, but I like the entire surface of my meat to contact the pan.

During the winter I mainly use a Foreman grill. I think it does a good job for flank steak but not for fillets and New York Strip. I can never get a good sear.

This makes me think about getting a cast iron pan

I've been doing the reverse sear with the cast iron lately when I do steaks. Steak in the oven at around 250 for 30-40 minutes depending on thickness, flipping every 5 minutes. Then sear in a hot cast iron for a couple minutes on each side. Have been liking the results a lot.

I trim a small piece of fat off the meat and rub around (carefully!) the skillet as it heats up. When the skillet is coated with the fat the steaks go in; 3 minutes on one side and 2 minutes on the other for a rare steak. Done it this way for years, SWMBO approves and a lot quicker than the searing feature on the gas grill. Grill some veggies (different skillet), open a good red wine and you have a meal!

Top Bottom