What's new

Rex Supply Ambassador...

Paradigm 17-4, Timeless.95, Charcoal Goods level 2, Blackbird & Cobra Classic
Thanks it is very similar to mine. I would add the paradigm ti 1 and 2 charcoal Goods level 3. Rocnel Elite 2.0, King Cobra

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Do you guys think the lack of smoothness it’s in the finish or the design? The Rockwell 6s, Ti Timeless and my Supply V2 have a satin finish and are known to be smooth. Or are the bead blasted finish not as smooth as the polished versions when shaving? I honestly never really noticed a difference, at least not a significant one.
It depends and it could be a combination of both. I have some polished razors that are not as smooth and some matte finishes that are very smooth so just because of Razor is Polish does not necessarily mean it will Glide better. It's a combination of a lot of factors and not necessarily one or the other

It depends and it could be a combination of both. I have some polished razors that are not as smooth and some matte finishes that are very smooth so just because of Razor is Polish does not necessarily mean it will Glide better. It's a combination of a lot of factors and not necessarily one or the other

+1

Well, my Rex Ambassador (N1) arrived yesterday from BullGoose, taking 6 days to arrive here in Hong Kong. I couldn’t figure out how the carton opened, and stupidly ripped it in my rush to examine the razor. Duh.

The handle is shorter than I expected, about half an inch shorter than my ATT. It’s got a stubby feel to it with good balance and heft. I like it. The machining seems perfect. The only nitpick I could find was the very faint outline of a polishing (?) swirl on the bottom of the baseplate when the razor is held against the light. The handle is very grippy, and the razor has a nice compact head. The adjustment ring feels ever so slightly gritty when turned but the friction is good, needing opposing thumb and finger to turn it. I don’t think it will accidentally ‘self-adjust’ during a shave.

I was a bit ambivalent about buying it as the Rex is very expensive, and I worried that it wouldn’t meet my expectations. I’ve been using an ATT with M1 & R1 plates for a few months which replaced a Feather AS-D2. I’ve also previously used Gillette Techs, a Jagger DE89, and a QShave Adjustable. I shave 6 days weekly, using the ATT M1 baseplate for a quick DFS during weekdays, and the R1 plate on Saturdays for DFS+ or BBS. I like the ATT razor a lot. It’s got a nice tool feel to it as though it’s designed by a ‘real’ engineer….it reminds me of the Imola cams on my old Ducati years ago. The Rex is quite shiny by comparison.

The reason for buying the Rex was that I wanted to be able to use a setting equivalent to the ATT R1 on most of my face but dialing down to ATT M1 equivalent for the 3rd pass under my nose & mouth where I’ve always had trouble. I can never use ATG in those pesky areas as my whiskers there lie very flat, and any attempt at ATG usually led to small weepers or irritation or worse. I even managed to nick the side of my nose once which shows how ham-fisted I can be.

I used the Rex for the first time this morning, lathering up with my favourite Thater 4125/1 fan brush & DR Harris Arlington soap. Happily the Rex was way beyond my expectation…by a long way too. The angle was easy to find, and my first impression was that the Rex is really smooth. Wow! I started with setting 1 (much too mild), and quickly moved to setting 2, and finished up with setting 3. Next shave, I’ll start with 2 and then setting 3, maybe 4 later. It's hard to compare the Rex settings with the ATT M1 and R1 plates as the Rex is so smooth.

I use short strokes with the ATT, especially with the R1 plate which I find can bite if I’m careless. By comparison, the Rex is so smooth that I found myself instinctively using long stokes, and my shave was quicker than usual. Tackling the difficult areas above and below my mouth was much easier. I’ve got whiskers like a wire brush there but I tried ATG there and it was great. No issues whatsoever. I could never do that with the AS-D2 or the ATT with the M1 plate. A swirly growth under part of my jaw and chin also disappeared easily.

I know it’s only one shave but I’m hugely impressed, and any buyer’s remorse has vanished. Happy times!

Well, my Rex Ambassador (N1) arrived yesterday from BullGoose, taking 6 days to arrive here in Hong Kong. I couldn’t figure out how the carton opened, and stupidly ripped it in my rush to examine the razor. Duh.

The handle is shorter than I expected, about half an inch shorter than my ATT. It’s got a stubby feel to it with good balance and heft. I like it. The machining seems perfect. The only nitpick I could find was the very faint outline of a polishing (?) swirl on the bottom of the baseplate when the razor is held against the light. The handle is very grippy, and the razor has a nice compact head. The adjustment ring feels ever so slightly gritty when turned but the friction is good, needing opposing thumb and finger to turn it. I don’t think it will accidentally ‘self-adjust’ during a shave.

I was a bit ambivalent about buying it as the Rex is very expensive, and I worried that it wouldn’t meet my expectations. I’ve been using an ATT with M1 & R1 plates for a few months which replaced a Feather AS-D2. I’ve also previously used Gillette Techs, a Jagger DE89, and a QShave Adjustable. I shave 6 days weekly, using the ATT M1 baseplate for a quick DFS during weekdays, and the R1 plate on Saturdays for DFS+ or BBS. I like the ATT razor a lot. It’s got a nice tool feel to it as though it’s designed by a ‘real’ engineer….it reminds me of the Imola cams on my old Ducati years ago. The Rex is quite shiny by comparison.

The reason for buying the Rex was that I wanted to be able to use a setting equivalent to the ATT R1 on most of my face but dialing down to ATT M1 equivalent for the 3rd pass under my nose & mouth where I’ve always had trouble. I can never use ATG in those pesky areas as my whiskers there lie very flat, and any attempt at ATG usually led to small weepers or irritation or worse. I even managed to nick the side of my nose once which shows how ham-fisted I can be.

I used the Rex for the first time this morning, lathering up with my favourite Thater 4125/1 fan brush & DR Harris Arlington soap. Happily the Rex was way beyond my expectation…by a long way too. The angle was easy to find, and my first impression was that the Rex is really smooth. Wow! I started with setting 1 (much too mild), and quickly moved to setting 2, and finished up with setting 3. Next shave, I’ll start with 2 and then setting 3, maybe 4 later. It's hard to compare the Rex settings with the ATT M1 and R1 plates as the Rex is so smooth.

I use short strokes with the ATT, especially with the R1 plate which I find can bite if I’m careless. By comparison, the Rex is so smooth that I found myself instinctively using long stokes, and my shave was quicker than usual. Tackling the difficult areas above and below my mouth was much easier. I’ve got whiskers like a wire brush there but I tried ATG there and it was great. No issues whatsoever. I could never do that with the AS-D2 or the ATT with the M1 plate. A swirly growth under part of my jaw and chin also disappeared easily.

I know it’s only one shave but I’m hugely impressed, and any buyer’s remorse has vanished. Happy times!

Congrats on the new razor! It’s always great when a pricey product meets or exceeds expectations.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on the Rex. I’ll be curious to hear your views in comparison to the ATT razor plates once you have a few more shaves with the Rex.

I shave most days with the R1. It’s a great razor for me (daily shaver). I found the M plates a bit to mild for my growth.

I experienced the same as you did with the Rex. I sold my ATT and others. The adjustability, the quality, the feel and the smoothness contributed to me be one happy camper.

So, now that you've had it for awhile, what do you think?

So, now that you've had it for awhile, what do you think?

late reply, sorry, but I was travelling in rural Philippines with minimal internet connection.

My initial views haven't changed....I love the Rex, and use it every day. I'll probably give the ATT M1 & R1 away to a young guy in my office who has just started wet shaving.

I've defaulted to a first WTG pass on setting 2.5, then ATG and ATG on 3. On weekends, I might use 3.5 for ATG. I find the progression from mild to slightly more aggressive works for me. The razor is so smooth that my shaves have speeded up, and I notice that there is zero soap scum after rinsing. The razor is perfectly clean when I'm changing blades after 2-4 shaves.

With the ATT M1 & R1, I found that I could never get a close shave on my chin & 'tache areas without buffing but the Rex gives me DFS there without even trying.

Congrats on the new razor! It’s always great when a pricey product meets or exceeds expectations.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on the Rex. I’ll be curious to hear your views in comparison to the ATT razor plates once you have a few more shaves with the Rex.

I shave most days with the R1. It’s a great razor for me (daily shaver). I found the M plates a bit to mild for my growth.

I think the ATT R1 is approx. equivalent to ~3.5 setting on the Rex. I find the Rex to be noticeably smoother than the R1. Blade changing though I find is ever so slightly slower.

Well I received mine yesterday, I bought it in the group buy. I had my first shave with it yesterday as well, I must say that I’m very impressed with my first shave. I set it at 2.5 and shaved a 3 day beard growth(I’m 26). I had no trouble finding and maintaining the angle which I feel came very naturally to me. After 3 passes(wtg,XTG,atg) and a little buffing on my mustache and chin it was a perfect BBS shave, but it didn’t last as long. I didn’t adjust the razor to more aggressive setting because I was trying to get a base line. I did notice how some people said it doesn’t glide as smooth like other razors but in my opinion it is still smooth with no skipping. At 2.5 the Rex Ambassador shaved like my Slim on 5 to 6. But Rex felt very mild but efficient. I used a Polsilver and the RazoRock Mudder Focker soap. This is definitely a razor that I will keep using.

Warning this my opinion and experience only.:001_smile
I want to say that this razor at 2.5 shaves like a vintage Gillette(Flare tip SS) in the way that it removes stubble gradually and efficiently down to BBS. I feel that modern designs like the RazoRock Gamechanger remove more stubble in one pass but don’t shave as close in the end(couldn’t get down to BBS).Makes me want to start searching for a Gibbs(darn RAD).

Well, I got my REX Ambassador from a group buy that I participated in last month on another forum. And let me just say that the razor is a real looker. The attention to detail and workmanship is first class from the knurling on the handle to the smooth but firm movement of the adjustment ring. Fit and finish is spot on from top to bottom and it just looks manly. Not too shiny nor to dull, sort of a semi polished (tumbled actually) look to it that would look great on any mans shave den.

I received it yesterday and since I had already shaved in the morning, I had to wait until today to give it its first run. I installed a 4 times used Derby Premium blade that was close to it’s last legs but I just wanted to see how the REX would fair with a used blade. And yes, I went right for the jugular and started at setting 6.

How was my initial shave? Not bad at all to be honest. As stated before, I started at 6 and worked my way down to 4 then 2 for a nice 3 pass shave. Did not get a BBS finish as I had a few stragglers around the neck & throat area, but I attribute that to a blade that was pretty much done honestly. A definite DFS on it’s first outing without a single issue. No nics, cuts, weepers or irritation to speak of. I was expecting to feel a little bit of drag or stickiness that has been reported and experienced by a few, but truthfully I did not experience anything of the kind. Just smooth, effortless and controlled gliding passes. Maybe it was the soap and prep or perhaps the finish on the razor. Who knows but I suffered no ill effects because of the finish or safety bar design/geometry. The feel is substantial with excellent balance from cap to the bottom of the handle with just about the right length to be held comfortably in the hands. I actually lowered the razor into my shave bowl & lather and shaved with it. No slippages of any kind throughout the entire shave. That’s how good the knurling is done on this razor.

It’s the first time with it and I did not attain a BBS shave first time out but, it was a DFS for sure. I don’t fault the razor at all for my results today. I put the blame on me as I knew that the blade was just about toast. Next shave it’s a new blade and it’s on. I’m actually looking forward to shaving with the REX for the rest of the month. Should be some really good shaves ahead......

F8403C34-2B8B-47CB-B6DD-0952ABB46662.jpeg

8A9B2BFB-5CFC-4ADA-AE98-784AF489860B.jpeg

4BD747E0-2C5B-48C7-80E5-595CABB89E1B.jpeg

719CEE46-1AF5-4717-9860-6A3AF7BAD6D3.jpeg

F9D1F7E0-B0E5-4317-A600-07EF4DE8315F.jpeg

E5EC5B04-12F4-4482-93E6-B80B6904A007.jpeg
1906807A-5B4C-4CF5-89BF-CC570A01B276.jpeg

DEE23708-0BDD-433F-9F6F-2509061AE4AB.jpeg
9B0223AE-3462-4676-ADCF-AD35DE4961C3.jpeg

Attachments

• A8882454-DD80-4676-AD94-B60304DC3082.jpeg
    A8882454-DD80-4676-AD94-B60304DC3082.jpeg
    628 KB · Views: 21
@GlazedBoker great review and pics. My updated N1 is a very nice razor. I have never experienced any drag with my razor but I do not go over areas without Lather The Rex is much improved in my opinion from the original release I had

@GlazedBoker great review and pics. My updated N1 is a very nice razor. I have never experienced any drag with my razor but I do not go over areas without Lather The Rex is much improved in my opinion from the original release I had
Thanks amigo. Yes, slick soap and lather for all passes. The REX can clear out the lather quite effectively.

Good review Gus and congrats on the new addition to your den. :a14:

Thanks amigo. It’s been a while my friend. I know that you’ve had a tryout with the REX when it was first released and it was not a favorable experience for you. Product growing pains as the REX needed some work and refinement according to yours and many other reviewers who purchased or sampled the original release. I think though that this would be a good time to revisit the REX and have a second go at it. I never tried the offerings from the first batch, so I have no basis or background experience/history to compare the newer, refined versions. I got my second shave in with it today and it was excellent. I’ll post that in a bit. I’ll be sending it to a close friend here in a bit and if your interested in giving it a second go, just drop me a pm partner and we can arrange it and make it happen. :001_cool:

Excellent, excellent shave today. The REX truly shined this morning with a new blade yielding a BBS finish in 2 passes + a chin buff. A smooth and effortless shave that left me ready for a special occasion, my youngest daughter and her graduation into middle school. That’s where the YSL steps in, a true masterpiece if you can find the original formulation. Just an awesome performer especially for that special occasion. Have a great day and shaves Gents... So, back to the shave.

It was a completely different shave from the one yesterday as the blade was truly shot. I installed a new Gillette 7 O’ Clock SP as they are known for great smoothness & decent sharpness. The REX and the Gillette did not disappoint at all. Set at 3 to start and finished at 2 for an amazing shave. Close, smooth and very comfortable. Again, I did not experience any drag or sticky feeling during any of the passes plus the buffing. The adjustment nut never moved especially as my finger rested on it for most of the shave. You would need 2 fingers to turn it, it’s that firm.

Bottom line is the razor delivered an exquisite shave. It’s not uber aggressive as I tried it on 6 yesterday, but it gives adequate blade feel in the upper ranges while still maintaining good smoothness and efficiency. Today with setting 3 & 2 not so much blade feel, but still efficient enough and smooth for my stubble. Good things have been said about the REX since the updates from the original release. I can’t speak for the original but, I can say that the N2 model that I own is one smooth operator.

0BEDB6D1-445D-454D-A02E-C69525CE4015.jpeg

June 21, 2018

Another fantastic 2 pass + some buffing around the chin. 3 shaves in and the shaves have been nearly flawless to be honest. Extremely well balanced razor with fit and finish that’s worthy of it’s price. Exhibits excellent smoothness throughout the whole adjustment range with better than average efficiency, especially up towards the higher end with relatively good blade feel yet still maintaining a very good smooth feel. It has been a delight to use and certainly no regrets in acquiring the razor. Granted, I purchased the item for $181, but that was becauseI participated in a group buy. If I’d had sampled it before hand, I may just have gone out and purchased it at retail value. It’s top quality, expertly crafted and one that will outlast us a couple of lifetimes over. If your in the market for an heirloom quality piece that happens to be adjustable, you’d be hard pressed to find something of equal or greater value. I’d highly recommend the REX without any reservations.....

322D499F-92A6-4604-B4BF-2300FCD0AEB5.jpeg

Did I mention that the Stone Cottage Shave Cream was fabulous? Great stuff.....

993F965A-8445-47EF-B53B-A6B9FA720BC1.jpeg

Top Bottom