What's new

Rex Ambassador first shave struggles

Thanks all for your replies.

I’m going to keep.

I had my third DFS today. Just with TOBS Sandalwood.

Put it up to a 4 for a WTG and got BBS.

I think the trick to using it is that very little finishing is required - as it cuts so close.

I bring it down to 0.5 for touch up around the mouth but really not needed.

As I was used to using the AS-D2 buffing ATG was a prerequisite just to get a decent shave - and so I thought that was normal.

Now I see the befits of a more efficient razor as opposed to milder needing more passes and clean-up.

Cheers, Russell.

Ps I’ve now bought some GFT Eucris to try out - because some reviewer said it made you smell like Ozzy Osbourne (and my hero was Randy Rhoads) or even a goth in a funeral parlour (which appeals to The Cure fan in me).

Oh, I see - thanks.

Purchase price was as paid by me - described above - and not what I would ask. I will have to sell at significant loss I suspect.

It’s just too harsh for me even on setting 1 and I really need to buff to get BBS - and there is no way I can use this razor ATG.

Would accept offers if anyone interested?

Thanks again for all your comments.

Russell.
are you beyond the return policy date at RazorEmporium? You had 30 days.
I tried the Ambassador and it was just a bit too much for me. I have since tried the Rex Konsul and it is wonderful.

Hi All, after two weeks of shaving I love the Rex Ambassador. It’s shaves so tight.

Unfortunately, I hate the Rex Ambassador. I just don’t enjoy shaving with such high level of blade feel - even though the resulting shave is soooo smooth.

In fact I cut myself more on my Feather AS -D2 through the need for excessive buffing, and don’t dare do that with the Ambassador, or even need to do much.

I have decided to let the Ambassador go and as soon as I have 50 meaningful posts, will list on BST.

I am considering buying a Rex Konsul or the Tatara Muramasa. I love changing blade settings according to growth/need or cut WTG ATG etc.

Maybe ask what you would suggest?

Cheers, Russell.

Ps loving the GFT Eucris cream.

Hi All, after two weeks of shaving I love the Rex Ambassador. It’s shaves so tight.

Unfortunately, I hate the Rex Ambassador. I just don’t enjoy shaving with such high level of blade feel - even though the resulting shave is soooo smooth.

In fact I cut myself more on my Feather AS -D2 through the need for excessive buffing, and don’t dare do that with the Ambassador, or even need to do much.

I have decided to let the Ambassador go and as soon as I have 50 meaningful posts, will list on BST.

I am considering buying a Rex Konsul or the Tatara Muramasa. I love changing blade settings according to growth/need or cut WTG ATG etc.

Cheers, Russell.

Ugh, you're looking at 2 extremes still. I have the Rex and Konsul and the Konsul is milder and more forgiving. I also have the Muramasa, and it will be very much in the range of your Feather AS-D2, offering a bit more (but not huge) efficiency at setting 5. I "like" the Muramasa, but am not a huge fan, as it is very mild.

If I may, Blackland's Osprey is in the same price range, and sounds like it will allow you to start at a range you're comfortable in and move effectively up from there. I believe you'll still be in the 1.5-2 range on the Konsul and it still has a fair bit of blade feel, the Muramasa will be comfortable but you won't have as much upward range if you decide you want to try that.

Last edited:

Cheers, Russell.

I had the same experience with the Ambassador. I tried the Osprey and there were enough visual and functional problems with it that I returned it. The answer to your issues is the Konsul. It is just as efficient as the Ambassador it extremely comfortable and smooth. Just treat it like a regular razor and don’t overthink it because it’s a slant.

Do you gents have to shave differently with a slant/Konsul - or would I just use it exactly the same as I normally shave?

I really like buffing to get a BBS finish but would be weary of doing so with a slant?

Cheers.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Do you gents have to shave differently with a slant/Konsul - or would I just use it exactly the same as I normally shave?

I really like buffing to get a BBS finish but would be weary of doing so with a slant?
No worries, the thing to do wrong with a slant is trying NOT to shave like normally. You might even have to buff less often.
This said, I don't know the Konsul. I know the Superslant is extremely good, among my favorite razors.
I can only compare to a Rex Envoy, not an Ambassador. The Superslant will be nice to your skin and shave very well. It's that stiffened/torsioned blade and angle thing at work doing its magic. The Konsul reportedly also shaves extremely well.

See what your fellow shavers are doing, if @walpan likes mild and efficient razors and enjoys both Lambda razors and the Konsul, it very likely won't have too much bladefeel.

I still would take the SuperSlant, which plate, SB or OC, that's the question.

Konsul efficient and comfortable yes, but Ambassador set at 6 is much more efficient than Konsul at 6...I'm sorry but I don't agree about efficiency "apples and oranges"
Konrad, you are correct. I should not have painted such a descriptive comparison with such a wide stroke. The Ambassador at level 6 is much more efficient and uncomfortable than the Konsul at level 6. The Ambassador at 6 was a shave and experience I just could not handle. However, I will say that the comparison between the Ambassador and the Konsul at levels 1-5 gives the slightest of edge to the Ambassador. But, that edge is at the expense of comfort. So I really should have concluded my prior statement as I am with this opinion, YMMV.

Cheers.
@Iridian is absolutely correct. Use the slant the same way you would an SB or OC. DON'T try to guide the razor on an angle to compensate for the slant of the head. If you use the slant the same as you do the other razors, a BBS shave will always happen. I will also add that the Konsul is very much blade dependent TO ME. That is not the case with either Lambda razor.

Konrad, you are correct. I should not have painted such a descriptive comparison with such a wide stroke. The Ambassador at level 6 is much more efficient and uncomfortable than the Konsul at level 6. The Ambassador at 6 was a shave and experience I just could not handle. However, I will say that the comparison between the Ambassador and the Konsul at levels 1-5 gives the slightest of edge to the Ambassador. But, that edge is at the expense of comfort. So I really should have concluded my prior statement as I am with this opinion, YMMV.
To each their own...not all razors work for everyone.
Konsul is a great razor you made a good purchase... I use mine with great pleasure

Thanks everyone. Waiting for the Konsul and Ambassador being sold - though I hate to let it go. Great advice on using the Konsul too - much appreciated.

Russ.

Top Bottom