What's new

Restoration Parts?

I am am sitting down and preparing to learn more about restoring my first razor (Bill Ellis' Restoration CD)and I have a few questions. I have NO desire to become a hobby business, but it would be nice to do it myself with what tools I have on hand. However, having a backup option is appealing.

1. Who/where is the best place to buy washer, collar and pin kits, just enough for 2 razors?
2. Where to buy supplies for DIY?

[MENTION=28057]mycarver[/MENTION] showed what I think is a way to make domed collars. Would you provide more explanation?
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/445820-Source-for-dome-collars?p=7151966#post7151966

I like the idea of being creative and using what I may have laying around. Any advice is appreciated.

Kevin

Microfasteners is great on price that is basically what some charge to fit up one or two razors but you're getting 100 washers. Try hobby shops where they have trains, RC cars etc . There I've found small packs of the #0 washers and the 1/16 brass rod you'll need.

The dapping block you reference is like any other in its use. Put a washer in the block , tap it with the rounded punch and the washer is now domed. You'll need to back it up when peening or you'll flatten it right out again.

Thank you for the replies gentleman. I was blessed to receive a set of Walnut scale blanks in a PIF and I want to learn as much as I can so as to limit the number of possible mistakes.:D

...The dapping block you reference is like any other in its use. Put a washer in the block , tap it with the rounded punch and the washer is now domed. You'll need to back it up when peening or you'll flatten it right out again.

What do you use to "back it up?"

Top Bottom