What's new

Replating Providers?

Fellow Blade Brains,

My Gillette Tech gold plated razor may need a little re-plating. I've noticed a small spot on the edge of the head which got a bit green, which I suppose is the underlying brass oxidizing?

Who offers quality yet economical gold re-plating for Gillette razors? While local to NYC (where I live) would be quicker, that also usually means more expensive. I'm very price sensitive these days.

Any recommendations?

Appreciatively
BarbaGnosa

Chris at Back Roads Gold is the current default choice. For good reason...

Does anyone know of replaters other than Back Road Golds? BRG won't replate razors previously replated by someone else. Years ago, someone replated my Gillette New LC and did a sloppy job. BRG won't touch it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
There is a chap that used to be in England that re plated razors and he emigrated to New Zealand. If you Google Auckland Razors it should show him. Otherwise Google safety razor re plating New Zealand and that should show his whereabouts. I know it is out of the country for you but I believe that he did good work.

Does anyone know of replaters other than Back Road Golds? BRG won't replate razors previously replated by someone else. Years ago, someone replated my Gillette New LC and did a sloppy job. BRG won't touch it.
BRG replaced a razor for me recently, and Chris said he thought someone else had done it previously. Chris did a great job and never implied that he had an issue doing the work.

User grade USA news aren’t difficult to come across.

BRG doesn’t strip nickel plating. Replating over a bad foundation of poor plating probably won’t work well for him

Razorplate.com does strip the plating including manually removing rhodium and gold. He doesn’t specify excluding already plated razors so I would ask first just in case. I’ve got a few from him, he does good work and does things that BRG doesn’t seem like they’re setup for at the moment.

IMG_0007.gif

I’m new and was looking at the Emporium. May I ask why to stay away from them? I was looking at a tune up for a Black Beauty.
There were a few posts informing you of razor emporium in your thread. Ultimately it will be up to you where to send your items.

For me, because of the BackRoadsGold thread I sent my razor there. This will be my first time using a replating service and hope that I will be happy, pretty sure I will be.

I asked if he could do an aluminum razor stand for me but he couldn’t. If I get the itch to do it I may send it to razor emporium, if they can do it.

Again it will be up to you, if you feel that you want to send it to razor emporium and they offer what you want, then do so. People won’t judge you, they have only cautioned you.

I’m new and was looking at the Emporium. May I ask why to stay away from them? I was looking at a tune up for a Black Beauty.
I have a 1936 Aristocrat that was ruined when Razor Emporium replated it. Terrible service, poor quality, & even worse customer service after the fact. I will never buy anything from them (including their obscenely overpriced refurbished or replated vintage razors) or have them replate anything. People still share these stories to make sure the truth stays front & center.

Just sharing my own experience, YMMV.

Razorplate.com does strip the plating including manually removing rhodium and gold. He doesn’t specify excluding already plated razors so I would ask first just in case. I’ve got a few from him, he does good work and does things that BRG doesn’t seem like they’re setup for at the moment.
Just took a look at razor plate, a rose gold black bird seems interesting

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
May I ask why to stay away from them?
You already asked and I answered:

Now get busy and do your homework.

Back Roads Gold is better, faster, cheaper. RE may do good work here and there, but you will be forced to question your decision while you wait out the lengthy process. Chris at BRG will have it done right and in your hands before RE even acknowledges they received your razor. I'm not trying to bash RE, this is just facts that have been reported by many, many B&B members for sometime.

wow, a lot of replies and a lot of homework done. I had previously bought my Holy Black SR-71 from the emporium but had never done the service options. I read through the horror stories and there seems to be a bandwagon kind of theme on going in them (I could be wrong). Many of them referenced the same story and that's why they won't. But, there are indeed a select few with the actual story that happened to them. Other forums when it is discussed said that Matt made it right by them. A lot of back and forth and then when comparing the dates, the more recent dates are favorable towards the emporium. So at this point it's kind of a wash. I am much more hesitant though. If I send one in for a tune-up, I'll start with a less expensive just to see where they stand. As to replating, I'm near 100% sold on using Back Roads Gold. I just wish they had a more user friendly website like the emporium has. I find it weird to order a service through Etsy. That's a personal preference though. Thanks for the many informative statements. This forum is very helpful.

Top Bottom