What's new

Remember Eggs Over Easy Being Illegal?

This morning while I made myself a couple of eggs over easy for breakfast. I suddenly recalled my first breakfast at Fort Dix, NJ circa 1992.

To the shock of myself and my section we were told that eggs over easy were illegal in NJ and not available, even though we were on a Federal installation.

Does anybody else remember this?

We had a time here in Austria when you couldn’t get Beef Tartare with a raw egg yolk. Some places skipped it altogether, some served it with a cooked one 🤮 and some slightly cured them on a bed of salt before serving.

Salmonella is nearly gone from the news but I just read yesterday that there is an investigation on an outbreak in 16 European countries believed to be caused by tainted chicken kebabs.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
We had a time here in Austria when you couldn’t get Beef Tartare with a raw egg yolk. Some places skipped it altogether, some served it with a cooked one 🤮 and some slightly cured them on a bed of salt before serving.

Salmonella is nearly gone from the news but I just read yesterday that there is an investigation on an outbreak in 16 European countries believed to be caused by tainted chicken kebabs.
Chicken Tartare? :lol1:

Another oddity, speaking of Brits, it's my understanding that American eggs are washed before distribution (by law) but British eggs are not (also by law).

Ordering, steam soft-boiled eggs w/ some high quailiy Canada bacon, sour dough bread toast...black single origin columbia coffee please.
No sugar, gently stirred with a boar brush...
Hold the razor blades, soap, & after breakfast lotion...
BFX
Top of the Morning to ya..

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Another oddity, speaking of Brits, it's my understanding that American eggs are washed before distribution (by law) but British eggs are not (also by law).

Speaking of oddities. Eggs in the US being stored refrigerated, they just go on the shop shelf here in NZ.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Speaking of oddities. Eggs in the US being stored refrigerated, they just go on the shop shelf here in NZ.

Eggs in the US are washed and disinfected to reduce the likelihood of Salmonella. Washing them removes the membrane on the outside of the egg that keeps salmonella from moving through the pores of the shell into the inside of the egg. Because of this they have to be refrigerated.

The UK, and maybe NZ, rely on Salmonella vaccinated hens to keep Salmonella from the egg in the first place. Unwashed eggs can stay on the shelf because the membrane is still intact.

We’re contemplating raising a few laying hens in the backyard next year. We’ll be doing it the UK way.

This morning while I made myself a couple of eggs over easy for breakfast. I suddenly recalled my first breakfast at Fort Dix, NJ circa 1992.

To the shock of myself and my section we were told that eggs over easy were illegal in NJ and not available, even though we were on a Federal installation.

Does anybody else remember this?

I'm not surprised that New Jersey would outlaw over easy eggs. Don't get me started on that state's overreach. :rolleyes:
Having said that, over easy eggs are illegal in my house because they give me terrible cramps. 🤣

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Eggs in the US are washed and disinfected to reduce the likelihood of Salmonella. Washing them removes the membrane on the outside of the egg that keeps salmonella from moving through the pores of the shell into the inside of the egg. Because of this they have to be refrigerated.

The UK, and maybe NZ, rely on Salmonella vaccinated hens to keep Salmonella from the egg in the first place. Unwashed eggs can stay on the shelf because the membrane is still intact.

We’re contemplating raising a few laying hens in the backyard next year. We’ll be doing it the UK way.

Ah, that makes sense then. From my observations fresh laid eggs from your own hens are consumed so quick it makes storage a non-issue.

Legion

Staff member
Hmmm. I always eat semi raw eggs (cracked into instant ramen, for instance)

Both store bought and from the neighbours back yard chickens. Probably should be more concerned about it than I have been, but so far so good.

One of the problems that we have to deal with in restaurants nowadays is insurance.

If a restaurant wants to be insured, the insurance company will look over their menu and all other aspects of food preparation.

Lot's of menu items were available years ago but not today. It was typical for a restaurant to make their own salad dressing from raw eggs. Some would also prepare a Ceaser Salad table side using raw eggs.

You no longer see alfalfa sprouts or mung bean sprouts on salad bars.

Steak Tartar is a no-no. Some restaurants will not even serve ground meat unless it is well done.

Flaming desserts could start a fire.

You get the picture...

Top Bottom