What's new

Really Like Fountain Pens, But . . .

. . . They don't seem to go well with most of what I do. After trying them again for a while, I've discovered that using one at work involves constant putting on and removing the cap, and I'm sometimes in environments that could be disastrous on fountain pens. The cap issue had been on my mind for a while, but the environment issue didn't hit me until the evening a couple of nights ago when I needed to jot down information but really didn't want my fountain pen exposed to the grit of dirt.

As an aside, this explains all the pocket pencils I remember from my youth. A wood pencil with a metal cap, they were popular freebees.

The cap issue affects more than fountain pens, and though we have a few capped gel pens at work, it's the retractable point that's popular. And while I know there's similar fountain pens, they're too pricey for me, and for what I do make about as much sense as wearing a Rolex (tm) while digging ditches.

Anyway, this morning I gave up. I compromised by putting a Uni-Ball 207 Black Fine Point in my pocket. The line is similar to the Metropolitan Fine with Noodler's Black and the ink has similar properties.

This doesn't mean I'm mothballing my fountain pens. I'm still using one with Platinum Carbon Black for my journal and I intend to used the Metropolitan with Noodler's Black in more dressy situations. But for everyday use it looks like it's going to be the retractable point gel pens.

They're not always the most practical writing instrument. Sometimes I have one leak, even when I'm careful to keep the nib pointed up on the drive to and from work (with significant altitude changes involved). So I have a backup ball point with me all the time. But when my hand gets all cramped up from writing with the ball point, I'm willing to overlook the hassle of an occasional leaky fountain pen.

I don't know why it is but even the ballpoints with comfortable looking grips aren't very comfortable for me. A fountain pen though can lay back at a comfortable angle and my hand can be much more relaxed when using it.

I know what you mean about the convenience of a retractable. A Pilot Vanishing Point is one of my favorite pens for that very reason. They are a bit pricey but I guess that's partly because there's no other fountain pen like it. They're really great writers.

There is a reason cheap ball points are the biggest sellers.

$Bullet solo.jpg

I carry this to work for ease of use and filling itty bitty boxes on forms. Since I work a gun counter not only is it an appropriate pen for customers to sign the ATF4473 with, but I manage sell a few too. I make them with a 308 and 30-06 case, everything is soldered and is bulletproof.

The Pilot Vanishing Point is amazing.
It's fast becoming my favourite go-to pen for the office.
In fact, let's just skip a step and say it's my #1 office pen.

That is a shame that you can't enjoy fountain pens more but at least you can enjoy them at home while you pen your thoughts

I'm lucky that I'm almost always able to use my fountain pens at work, and not worry about damaging or losing them when they aren't getting used. But yes, definitely not the right tool for every job. There are times, writing on bad materials or in awkward situations, where my go everywhere Space Pen is just a better choice. And in your situation, I'd probably go with a rollerball too.

But maybe this will make your fountain pens all the more special when you use them at home.:001_cool:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'm in the same boat. Fountain pens are not practical at my work. I do carry around a FP just about everywhere outside of work. At home, or taking notes at school, it's always a fountain pen that I'm using.

Pilot and Lamy both make retractable point fountain pens, where you do not remove the cap to extend the point, downside is the ink quantity held is very small. Mont Blanc makes the Boheme which is a bit more trouble than the common fountain pen, you unscrew a small cap, then screw it onto the other end and a the final action of tightening the cap, it extends a rather nice fountain pen tip. It is a cartridge only pen whereas the Pilot and Lamy models can be cartridge or converter.

Parker 51 vac or Aero. Designed specifically for the man in an office setting. Nib doesn't dry out in meetings, built like a tank and ca be had for a hundred bucks.

Those 207s are good pens. I especially like the 4-pack with blue-black, red-black, green-black, and purple-black inks. If there were a good clicky fountain pen cheaper than a VP I'd probably try one.

Top Bottom