What's new

RazoRock Superslant views, reviews, and shaves

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’m still struggling with the SuperSlant. I sold my complete L3, kept the L2++ and added the L1++OC. The L2++ is too efficient for me and the L1++OC is a bit too mild. When we get back from our 3 week trip, I’m going to sell the SuperSlant with both base plates and a couple handles. Someone is going to get a screamingly good deal.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Shave tomorrow: SuperSlant L3++ OC. Was actually meant to be today, but after I managed to disassemble and put together again my Yaqi Ultima successfully, I just had to shave with it first. :)

I have a lot of razors I find harsher than the L3++ OC, smoothness is hallmark of the Superslant and Wunderbar. I like the different angle of the Superslant compared to the Wunderbar that is more natural to me.

This makes me wonder what makes a razor too harsh for some but not others.

What really scares me is my Timeless .78 OC. There I have to be really careful, not so much with the L3++ OC.

Interesting. I have fairly sensitive skin and when I go ATG with the L2++ on my neck and upper lip it feels like I’m taking a lot of skin off. Especially on the upper lip I have to be very careful. I didn’t pick up a Wunderbar before they were didco’d but, my curiosity is gone having the Superslant.
Shave tomorrow: SuperSlant L3++ OC. Was actually meant to be today, but after I managed to disassemble and put together again my Yaqi Ultima successfully, I just had to shave with it first. :)

I have a lot of razors I find harsher than the L3++ OC, smoothness is hallmark of the Superslant and Wunderbar. I like the different angle of the Superslant compared to the Wunderbar that is more natural to me.

This makes me wonder what makes a razor too harsh for some but not others.

What really scares me is my Timeless .78 OC. There I have to be really careful, not so much with the L3++ OC.

Interesting. I have fairly sensitive skin and when I go ATG with the L2++ on my neck and upper lip it feels like I’m taking a lot of skin off. Especially on the upper lip I have to be very careful. I didn’t pick up a Wunderbar before they were didco’d but, my curiosity is gone having the Superslant.
The wunderbar really shines with some milder blades. But with a sharper one it's an absolute laser. It's also a different beast than the super slants. Totally different geometry that is more akin to a fasan slant. I actually find some of the iterations of the super slant to be more irritating than the wunderbar. The l1s are less irritating but also need a sharper blade in my experience to compensate for their mildness.

Thanks for the info. I see that they have reissued the Wunderbar again but, they say it’s a different version. I always wanted one but I think I’ll stick with the Superslant and maybe buy a lower level plate.
The wunderbar really shines with some milder blades. But with a sharper one it's an absolute laser. It's also a different beast than the super slants. Totally different geometry that is more akin to a fasan slant. I actually find some of the iterations of the super slant to be more irritating than the wunderbar. The l1s are less irritating but also need a sharper blade in my experience to compensate for their mildness.

Thanks for the info. I see that they have reissued the Wunderbar again but, they say it’s a different version. I always wanted one but I think I’ll stick with the Superslant and maybe buy a lower level plate.
It's the same as theblast few batches. First batch of wunderbars had differential blade exposure and thus was the bitiest dog you could ever shave with. Ever since the main difference is just even blade exposure, presumably unchanged in the recent batch

I’m still struggling with the SuperSlant. I sold my complete L3, kept the L2++ and added the L1++OC. The L2++ is too efficient for me and the L1++OC is a bit too mild. When we get back from our 3 week trip, I’m going to sell the SuperSlant with both base plates and a couple handles. Someone is going to get a screamingly good deal.
Are you not tempted to get an L2 next? I wish it was like Rockwell where they include a couple of extra bases but these SS are probably so expensive to produce it wouldn't be viable. I was lucky to have found the right match on second attempt.
If anyone is starting new with SS then I'd suggest they try and buy in used condition to try out a level as then it's minimal cost to resell if it doesn't workout.

Are you not tempted to get an L2 next? I wish it was like Rockwell where they include a couple of extra bases but these SS are probably so expensive to produce it wouldn't be viable. I was lucky to have found the right match on second attempt.
If anyone is starting new with SS then I'd suggest they try and buy in used condition to try out a level as then it's minimal cost to resell if it doesn't workout.
Yeah the baseline l1/2/3 models are very different from their + or ++ counterparts

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I had the L3 SB which was a little bit less efficient and aggressive than the Wunderbar, the L3++ OC is both more aggressive but also more efficient. Not a problem though, as it is well behaved and shaves at my preferred steep angle and gives that vital bit more feedback when it is about to bite compared to the Wunderbar, which one surprised me with a slice of skin, I only felt the pain when looking at it. 🤪

I know it's perhaps one of the most common suggestions ... but perhaps before selling trying L1++OC with a Kai blade would improve the experience.
I do find Kai blades to increase efficiency with SuperSlant (on both L1 and L1++OC that I have). The razor is still well behaved (as in very mild) but efficiency is up a bit.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

I know it's perhaps one of the most common suggestions ... but perhaps before selling trying L1++OC with a Kai blade would improve the experience.
I do find Kai blades to increase efficiency with SuperSlant (on both L1 and L1++OC that I have). The razor is still well behaved (as in very mild) but efficiency is up a bit.
I'm not sure the L2 would change much and I've already thrown a lot of money at the SuperSlant....

I will try the Kai blades in my L1++OC... I love the face feel of the L1OC... and I have quite a few Kai blades.... that is a great suggestion, thx... I don't know why I didn't think of that myself.... but I didn't. <eg> evil grin

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I've already thrown a lot of money at the SuperSlant....

I hear that. I have two versions of "I've spent enough." One is "I've spent as much as I want to, and still it's not right. I'm done." The other is, "I'll keep chuckin' bucks until I get what I want, but I have to do this whole gymkhana to find out what I want first." Having said there's two, the third way is when I realize that nobody makes what I want, and I don't have the skills to hack-job it, and then I give up.

But I'll complain about it for years. :letterk1:

I've pretty much decided that just staying with what I have is good (L2OC, L3SB). Despite my aversion to SB razors I do notice a slight difference between those two, which are in fact just slightly different. If you take my meaning. :)

O.H.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
What is more aggressive the wunderbar or the l3++

That may be almost the right question. Experience with the SuperSlants up through L3SB gave me a feel for how much each step upward would change things. They feel to me like rather short steps, such that the L1++OC is about the lowest step I could shave with on a regular basis, the L2++OC is almost my perfect OC razor and the L3SB is just slightly more efficient than the L2OC. I can project that three steps up from that (to the L3++OC) might get pretty close to the Wunderbar.

I think your question leads to a closer comparison, as both the Wunderbar and L3++ are SB razors. Where they are going to differ is in the fine details. The Wunderbar tends to be a very efficient razor that has a tendency to bite if one's technique and shave conditions are not exactly on centre. In that it is no more temperamental than most helical slant razors, which stands to reason as it is designed as an homage to one of them (Mulcuto). The RazoRock SuperSlant seems to have share a few of its genetics with the Merkur "Super Slant." RazoRock says, however, that their SuperSlant is the result of a lot of testing and trials to find a slant design that not only puts some serious torque on the blade but also does that in a way that keeps the blade edge fairly straight.

The claimed problem they're addressing is that older helical slant designs can cause micro-ripples in the edge from all the twist. This leads me to think it's not "aggression" we're talking about but "efficiency." Another insight I had lately was driven by the expansion of offerings of "slant" razors that I don't really think are very slanty. That's another, cheaper, way to deal with micro-ripples in a torqued blade: just don't twist it that much. That leads to a pretty mild razor that I would say is a good first slant, but aside from that I don't find them terribly appealing. I like highly helical slants and I'm fortunate to have a couple: Wunderbar, SuperSlant L2OC, PAA Monsters, Fasan Double Slant, and I've used the fabled Merkur "Super Slant."

I still want to try L3++OC, but it's not a huge priority for me. I have a feeling it is very close to the perfect helical slant.

O.H.

Last edited:
How do you guys deal with a razor with superslant that comes with different plates? I want to buy one, but it's impossible to buy the one that's right for me without trying something first! Also, I've only been wet shaving for 6 months, so I guess the one that's "right" for me will change over time?
My goal is to not buy 10000 razors to find the one that's right for me, LOL.

Top Bottom