What's new

Rate the AC razors on the scale of aggressiveness

Hi,

I am currently using a Yaqi Remus. I find it mild (with a feather super pro AC blade). Please help me with some other options which are more aggressive. Also kindly rate the AC blades on the scale of aggressiveness.

Thanks,

Harish

Blackland Razors has a chart outlining characteristics of various AC blades on the Vector page. Scroll down for the blade selection chart.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hi,

I am currently using a Yaqi Remus. I find it mild (with a feather super pro AC blade). Please help me with some other options which are more aggressive. Also kindly rate the AC blades on the scale of aggressiveness.

Thanks,

Harish
I think you have the sharpest blade with the Feather super pro AC blade & also it is wider giving you more blade exposure or blade feel also. I've seen video's where the Yaqi Romulus( it knocks down 1 week beard grow and gives a decent shave with no problem) just using a Feather pro with no irritation or weepers. Others have mentioned the Yaqi Remus & Romulus AC razor is on the mild side but more efficient than possibly the Yaqi Excalibur AC razor head. I think you can even press a little and it is forgiving to a certain degree.
Feather AC blades 2.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
@Themaverickmonk

Quick sync up on terms. To me, aggressive = bad. Aggressive razors tend to bite and overshave.

Efficient is the measure of how thoroughly the razor removes the whiskers from your face and neck.

Efficient is only one of the attributes I use to rate my razors. The others are smooth, nimble & maneuverable, and predictable. Total everything up, and I get a very good picture of how Effective the razor can be.

My top AC razors, in order:
  • Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB
  • Blackland Razors SS Vector SB
  • Colonial Razors The General V2
  • Above The Tie X1 Slant
I could use just these razors as my rotation forever and be perfectly happy. :)

My preferred blades, in the Vectors and The General V2 are Schick Proline P and Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG. My preferred blade in the X1 Slant is Schick Proline P.

I do not prefer Feather AC blades. I find them to be harsh. I will use the Feather Pro Super AC blades in razors that would normally be too mild to get through my old, gray, very wiry beard.

If you really want to rock the Efficient attribute, put a Feather Pro Super in the Blackland Razors Vector using the OC plate or in the Asylum Artist Club Rx (a razor that is very close to joining my list). Both should satisfy your request for high efficiency. :)

Just my opinion. :cool:

@Themaverickmonk

Quick sync up on terms. To me, aggressive = bad. Aggressive razors tend to bite and overshave.

Efficient is the measure of how thoroughly the razor removes the whiskers from your face and neck.

Efficient is only one of the attributes I use to rate my razors. The others are smooth, nimble & maneuverable, and predictable. Total everything up, and I get a very good picture of how Effective the razor can be.

My top AC razors, in order:
  • Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB
  • Blackland Razors SS Vector SB
  • Colonial Razors The General V2
  • Above The Tie X1 Slant
I could use just these razors as my rotation forever and be perfectly happy. :)

My preferred blades, in the Vectors and The General V2 are Schick Proline P and Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG. My preferred blade in the X1 Slant is Schick Proline P.

I do not prefer Feather AC blades. I find them to be harsh. I will use the Feather Pro Super AC blades in razors that would normally be too mild to get through my old, gray, very wiry beard.

If you really want to rock the Efficient attribute, put a Feather Pro Super in the Blackland Razors Vector using the OC plate or in the Asylum Artist Club Rx (a razor that is very close to joining my list). Both should satisfy your request for high efficiency. :)

Just my opinion. :cool:
Thanks so much. But isn’t the asylum too heavy with >100gms?

... "predictable" ... how do you understand "predictable" .... ??
Sounds like the razor is taking on a life of its own ... :scared:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
... "predictable" ... how do you understand "predictable" .... ??
Sounds like the razor is taking on a life of its own ... :scared:
Not even close. ;)

Is the razor in question prone to give you nicks, cuts and/or weepers.

An example of a razor that scores low on the Predictable attribute is the Roedter.

All of the tazors on my list score very high or better on the Predictable attribute.

I've been using a SS Vector for my head shaves and it is very efficient and well behaved. I've recently revisited the Razorock Hawk V3 safety bar, and though it is not more aggressive it seems a bit less efficient than the Vector.

In my experience the Hawk requires a shallower shave angle than the Vector, and is less efficient outside of a narrow sweet spot, while the Vector is less fussy, giving the user more leeway on angle and still being efficient.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
The Hawk V3A plate ups the efficiency of the Hawk and provides excellent shaves for me.
I really enjoy it as well, definitely a very narrow range of effective angles though, but it is easy to find.

I lust for a Vector as well though.

Aggressiveness or harshness or ease of use?

The worst of the AC formats is my Yaqi Matte Excalibur. The drag on my face is less enjoyable or carefree with the shave so, a nick or weeper is more likely. The Chrome Excalibur was a nice step in the right direction being pretty slick and easier to use. Then comes the Yaqi Romulus where its extra weight makes the shave easier since consistent hand pressure isn't required for a consistently good shave.

With this narrow sampling, the all stainless steel Romulus would be the least aggressive or harsh and most efficient IMHO.

The Schick Injector type L is about as foolproof as it gets. Not aggressive at all but really efficient.

This will vary some with different user's shave technique, shave prep, skin type, whisker type, etc. What works for me may not work the same for someone else.

Top Bottom