What's new

R41 version confusion

An interesting discussion of the R41 versions has popped up in the B/S/T, and for the sake of keeping that thread on point, perhaps we should continue the "version discussion" here. The discussion has to do with which particular version of the R41 they currently stock at the Superior Shave. The text that is causing this confusion, from the SS website, is here:

[BEGIN QUOTE] Our R41 stock reflects a change made to model R41 in early 2011. It is a "2011" version Muhle R41. Contrary to popular internet rumors… the original R41 design was from late 2010, and NOT 2011. It was, however, distributed to N. America throughout 2011… "R41" was made slightly LESS aggressive in early 2011, and that variant of the R41 is all that has been distributed to the N. American resellers since mid-2011, all of 2012, all of 2013, and all of 2014… Briefly, "R41" was fiddled with once more (without changing the product code, of course), but we lowly N. American resellers weren't given that variant, or at least this shop never saw it; we've only seen two variants, the 2nd of which we've been consistently supplied for nearly three years now… Anyway, [these days] folks … are solely after the 2010 "R41" design (commonly called "the 2011" online) - you'll note that I wrote 2010, as that is the accurate description. What they're after is something that's been razor vaporware for well over 3 years now!... What DOES exist in reality on our shelves, an R41 conceived in early 2011, is easily the most aggressive modern safety razor I've tried (never did get a chance to try the 2010 "R41" before we were out and before I'd figured out the… thing had been changed...all of which was in 2011, ya'll, not any other year). [END QUOTE]

Let the theories continue……..

Last edited:
IMO, they're different enough to figure out rather quickly. The key is getting a vendor to take the time to find out.

I think the text on the site is very confusing. While they state they have the 2011 model they also say that model is LESS aggressive than the prior model...???
Can't be the 2013 because they say they have been carrying the same model for almost 3 years now,and Muhle silently changed the design the summer of 2012,so... I am confused.

I disagree. He has been selling the same model for 3 years. The 2013 version of the R41 did not exist 3 years ago, even in Europe. US retailers did not get the 2013 version until quite recently. SS apparently never received it.
Moreover, I compared a 2013 to his picture of a "2011" and they do not look the same. The cap in Jarrod's picture is ever-so-slightly smaller than the 2013 cap. In other words, I believe that SS is selling the R41 2011. I bought one, so I hope I am right.
To quote Jarrod:
"Don't whine when they're now finally gone from our shelves at this price; you missed out, and we're not bringing them back."

BTW, we should probably take this discussion to the regular forum to get some informed opinions there and leave OP's B/S/T post in peace ...

I agree with Doc. Based on this thread below, you can see how much the comb is sticking out compared to the cap. Seems like SS's is the version the we here on B&B refer to as the 2011. Since Doc has one on order, maybe the definitive answer will soon come. I might go pick up one myself. Will post pics when I do.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-2013-Muhle-R41-Comparo?p=5481038#post5481038

Superior Shave seems to have their timeline all wrong. As many of us know, The model R41 from 2010 was very mild. Then in early 2011 they came out with the beast R41. Then at the end of 2011 they came out with the refined version which we call on B&B the 2013 version because that's when we in America first heard about it.

Ok, time for pictures. If you look at the pictures in Avincenty's post, then Superior Shave's R41 looks more like what we are calling the 2011 model (Jarrod also calls it that).
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-2013-Muhle-R41-Comparo?p=5733337#post5733337

I am not willing to post Jarrod's pictures here. However, here is a link to his R41 page:

https://www.thesuperiorshave.com/in...emart_product_id=34&virtuemart_category_id=84

Click on the picture of the R41 head side-by-side with the R89 head. Compare it with Avincenty's pictures.
Decide for yourself, which one is Jarrod selling? I think it is the 2011 model.

The source of the confusion is that there was apparently an even more aggressive version that was sold for only a few months in late 2010 and early 2011. It is apparently so rare that no one here at B&B has even heard of it. Even Codfish.

The key fact for this discussion is that Jarrod / Superior Shave has been selling the same version for almost 3 years. Other US retailers only recently switched over to the 2013 version. There is no way Jarrod could have been selling the 2013 for 3 years when WCS only received it a few months ago (if that).

Last edited:
I agree that they look the same,I was watching those pics earlier too.
Now the only way is actually measuring the cap. Then again,if he sells the same model for 3 years that puts us in the end of 2010 beginning of 2011...and the beast wasn't out yet at that time.

I corrected my previous post to more accurately reflect what Jarrod said in his epic rant: he has been selling this same version for almost 3 years.
BTW, I want to paraphrase my comments that I made in a different thread about Jarrod:
He is crotchety & short-tempered, but also very funny, completely honest, and someone who works very hard for his customers. He posts pictures of each and every brush in his stock so you can pick which one you want. That is a big task and says a lot about him.

I don't even question his honesty,how can I,especially not knowing him?
All I was saying is that,to me it still sounds kind of confusing. Now all we need is some photographic evidence.
I mean real measurements...comparing pics can be tricky.

Ok so unless I am absolutely losing my mind…. :thumbup: :lol:, it seems as though Jarrod has updated his website in the past few hours with new info on his stock of R41's. It appears as though his supply of R41's is, indeed, what we at B&B refer to as the 2013 version, or as Jarrod now calls it, the variant #3 "aggressive" version (as opposed to "our" 2011 / Jarrod's variant #2 "hyper-aggressive" version).

So, as far as I can tell, the mystery is solved. Call it whatever you want (for our purposes here I suggest we all still call it the 2013 model, to avoid even further confusion down the road), but at least now we all know what Jarrod has on his shelves now.

I guess I will find out one way or the other since I already ordered one. However, the extended explanation now posted on TSS's website does not change my opinion.
Using Jarrod's version numbers:
#1 is clearly the mild version we know as R41 2010
#2 is a version I have never heard mentioned on B&B
#3 may or may not be R41 2011, but Jarrod has been carrying it since 2011. R41 2013 did not exist then.

Jarrod alludes to another version that has never been stocked in TSS. I believe that is a 4th version that we know of as R41 2013. For many months, it was only available from UK and European retailers during most of 2013. TSS's last shipment of R41s arrived "probably over a year" ago.

I am willing to bet my very last Derby blade that the razor currently speeding its way to me from TSS in Florida is an R41 2011. In any event, I will break out a penny when it gets here and confirm for everyone's edification.

Ok the Doc makes a good point and could very well be right. I'm very curious to figure this out once and for all… Be sure to let us know when you get it, and if you are right, I'll be sure to delete my post #13 immediately above yours because it surely will cause huge confusion down the road in that case…. :a7:

Last edited:
I just think it is weird he carrying THE R41 beast since 2011,if they were discontinued the summer of 2012 and nobody else in the world seem to have them.

I believe I bought mine from him about 3yrs ago. Was pleasant to deal with and shipping was quick.
Believe he was one of the few places to have it when it 1st came out.

We've received 3 versions of Muhle R41 over the years here at TSS; an initial, mild model received in 2010 and early 2011, a briefly-supplied second variation (supposedly the most aggressive model of safety razor head produced in the last two decades or so) given to us by our compulsory distribution point in mid-2011, and then the third variation, which we have consistently received from our compulsory distribution point since some time in 2011, but after the time of variant #2.

Perfectly clear to me.

I guess I will find out one way or the other since I already ordered one. However, the extended explanation now posted on TSS's website does not change my opinion.
Using Jarrod's version numbers:
#1 is clearly the mild version we know as R41 2010
#2 is a version I have never heard mentioned on B&B
#3 may or may not be R41 2011, but Jarrod has been carrying it since 2011. R41 2013 did not exist then.

Jarrod alludes to another version that has never been stocked in TSS. I believe that is a 4th version that we know of as R41 2013. For many months, it was only available from UK and European retailers during most of 2013. TSS's last shipment of R41s arrived "probably over a year" ago.

I am willing to bet my very last Derby blade that the razor currently speeding its way to me from TSS in Florida is an R41 2011. In any event, I will break out a penny when it gets here and confirm for everyone's edification.

A year ago was already the so called 2013 model...called 2013 because you were only aware of it in 2013,but Muhle changed the design in the summer of 2012.

Top Bottom