What's new

Quick need help!

found this straight at an antique store for $35. Should I snag it or is it over priced? Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
Also found this one for $35. What do you guys think? It doesn't open all the way though so would need some cleaning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
The second razor looks really nice and should clean up quickly and easily.

Yeah, I'm torn between the 2. On the black one that's as far as it open before it hits a stick point. The yellow one opens all the way. Overall they're both nice. But I can only have room in the budget for one. What do you think between the two @Dcaddo111 ?

David

Good deal. That will make a really nice shaver once you get it cleaned up a bit. Congrats on the find!

Thanks everyone! I did end up getting number 2. If anyone can help me on what my next step should be I would greatly appreciate it. I know for sure it needs to get honed and that but I'm not sure on the restoration piece. Thanks for the help everyone!

David

There's several guys here that can clean it up and hone it for you. To name a few in no specific order, life2short1971, doc226, or mycarver would all do you a great job.

I'd limit resto on the front to a little metal polish paying close attention to stop before you remove the etching. The back, you can either go all the way to a mirror polish or keep it consistent with the front. It's an old blade and there's nothing wrong with a bit of patina. YMMV. Then hone and use.

That's a nice razor.

DO NOT use any polish on the front or that etch will be gone faster than you can say gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a nice razor.

DO NOT use any polish on the front or that etch will be gone faster than you can say gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Doc! I heard that you may be one to talk to about getting this razor back up and running! I only started using a straight about a month ago and know absolutely ZERO about honing, restoration, etc. would you be able to help me out? You can PM me if that's easier. Thank you!

Both are very nice and once honed will serve you well, I have picked up several like that when I started, as Doc stated don't polish the front the etchings will be gone if anything just get it honed and lightly polished.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Looks like I am the dissenting opinion. Again. Why oh why do I have to be so darn contrary?

The Albany Maid would have been my choice. But then again, I like American vintage, and I like straight edges. It would have probably gone a few dollars less on fleabay. The scales on it appear to be celluloid, and would have to come off at some point in the future, possibly, which is a shame since nickel bolsters look so cool. But it has lost very little steel and will hone up easily. Great razor to learn edge maintenance on.

The Frederick Reynolds that everyone else likes so much, is in some demand and is a fine piece of steel. The etching is very ornate and attractive. However, I do not like the way it has been honed for a very long time. A lot of steel has gone away from the half or so of the blade at the heel end. Not the end of the world, and it will still hone up and shave just fine, but it grates on my inner sensibilities to see wierd hone wear. As a shaver, once it has been freshened up by a good hand with a smiley, it will do fine. You won't regret the purchase, I am sure. But in the long run I think you would have got slightly more enjoyment out of the first one.

Top Bottom