What's new

Questions about head shaving, razors, safety razor blades etc.

I've been recommended the BBS "AS" razor. What are do you guys think on of that one compared to the Gamechanger?

I think I am either going to get one of the BBS "AS" or Gamechanger .84p, and also the Razorock 'ECO' and start with those.

Any thoughts/opinions on the BBS "AS"?

Also, if I were to try different razors and they don't suit, is there a second-hand razor market where I could resell them? I was thinking of trying different ones and then reselling after a few uses as it would be too pricey to keep some of them if I were to not use them again.

Not sure if it's OK to sell used razors due to health and safety reasons (not that I have anything). Just wondering what the etiquette on that is and if I should clean them a certain way (isopropyl alcohol or something else disinfecting?) beforehand.

@Ice09 I'm not a head shaver, so I can't speak to your razor musings. But B&B members frequently sell and purchase used shaving equipment on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum. I have my own cleaning routines that give me confidence in the safety using of secondhand purchases--as do many others, I'm sure. And someone might be selling a razor you're curious to try. There's no post threshold for making purchases, however:
To create a thread (once every 15 days) you must be a member for 45 days with 50 quality posts

Two suggestions: 1. across the grain is the money pass for me back there. 2. Stretch the skin as much as you can by putting chin to chest and using your free hand to pull from back to front on top of head.
I second ewk's suggestions!

Thanks for the replies so far guys.
Sorry, I missed this.
Maybe I should have done this, but I also started growing a beard for the first time when I started shaving my head, so I couldn't really practice on my face.

If using a cartridge razor, what do most of you guys here use?
Harry's was the last I used.
Yeah, the Leaf provides a quicker shave if you don't care about BBS. There's too many spots I can't get smooth with it, though, so it ends up taking too many passes increasing my shaving time (something I am trying to bring down with something that also requires less passes for less irritation).
I do three passes with any, all razors. My shaves using an SE razor aren't faster, actually takes me a bit longer but the result is closer. I only shave my head every fourth day, so speed is not really a consideration.
Yeah, I guess it's similar for me. The Leaf if good on the sides and back of the head, but not too good at all on the top of my head, back/sides of the back fringe, and also tight spots around the ears. The Thorn is better in the tighter areas (I guess it should be as it's more compact and designed for that), but it just takes me too many passes to get it BBS in certain spots and then it starts causing cuts/irritation if I try too many passes.
The SE razors work very well around the ears.
I'll have to look into these Artist Club razors. What is the difference between these and DE razor blades/DE razor blades you can snap in half? The blades look completely different. I can only find the Feather Artist Club Pro blades at one of the stores I shop at in AU (not sure if there a bunch of other different brands? If there is, maybe I can find somewhere else to order from).

Are the single edge Artist Club blades much better than the DE style of blades? Is this also something where you need to try different brand AC blades to find the ones that are most suitable?

Do you get many shaves out of each blade? A 20 pack costs about $24.95 here.
Artist Club blades are much stiffer, and shave very well, but are much more expensive. I use the guarded blades since it is harder to cut yourself and still get very close shaves.

DE half-blades allow a LOT of choices, especially if you snap your own in half. I find the shave just as good, and the blades are much cheaper, though when I use the Hawk Eco I'm always more mindful as it seems more likely to punish me for bad technique. Once I got comfortable though, cuts and nicks are rare.
I'm going to look into this as it seems like a nice razor. I found a store here that only sells the V1 and V2. The V1 is a lot more expensive for some reason, though. Is the V3 much better than the previous versions?
I only had/used the V3, so I can't compare.
So this would be like my Leaf Thorn blade wise? I can just snap a DE safety razor blade and use it in this razor? If I already have the Leaf Thorn, you think it would still be worth trying this?
I've never used a Thorn or Twig
This thing looks really nice. Not sure if I want to go with something this pricey right off the bat, though.

Wow. Pretty cool that you're finding this better than the Hawk V3. Seems like an awesome budget friendly option. Are you also using this for both head shaves and face shaves, or is it better for one over the other?
I've never used any of my SE razors on my face.
Out of all the 3 razors I have (Leaf, Leaf Thorn, Schick DE safety razor), I definitely find the Leaf quickest, but then that time is negated due to having to do more passes to get closer to BBS. If you're not looking for BBS, I guess it's not too bad of a razor (hard to cut yourself with it, so really good in that regard). How long on average do head shaves take you with your various razors? Mine are all 35-50 minutes on average.

Basically, I can trying to get that shaving time down. It doesn't have to be perfectly BBS, just looking for something close that doesn't take that much time.

I also may as well ask, as I found a store in AU that sells Razorock razors, and the guy helping me (he's been super helpful with all the questions I've asked) has recommended the Gamechanger .84-P. He said he thinks that will give me the best balance between shaving time and smoothness. It's a bit pricey here ($129.95 - might be cheaper to order from an overseas store even with shipping cost added), though, so I am just not sure whether to give it a go or not?
Everyone is different. I bought both the 84P and the 68P and sold the 84P after using both (face only) and finding the 68P was all I needed. The razors are identical except for the base plates, which can be purchased separately if you want to try both. These razors often show up in the BST forum.
I'm also just not sure a DE razor is best for me and my head. I only have the cheap Schick DE safety razor to go by (never tried an other DE razors), and I tried using it again for the first time in quite a few months with a Super Iridium DE blade, but ended up with more cuts than I've ever had before using it (not sure if it was the blade as I never used a Super Iridium in it before, or my technique as I was used to the Leaf Shave and Leaf Thorn which are a lot more forgiving razors even if you use a bit of force with them). I also don't have a lot of padding on my head (been trying to gain weight), but I have a high metabolism and some other factors/issues not allowing me to gain weight like I want to/am trying to, so very low body fat (I think this might not help when shaving my head).

Is this Italianbarber.com? If so, thank you very much, as I just checked out this store and it seems they ship to Australia, so this opens up even more options for me. Do they go on sale often as I'd love to try them at those prices (it would negate some of the shipping cost)? Even at those prices in full, it's almost worth me trying both as here in AU the Hawk V2 is triple the cost and I can't find the Eco for sale anywhere.
Yes. Italianbarber.com
Yeah, I don't know much about the Artist Club blades. You guys will have to tell me what the advantages and disadvantages are compared to regular DE blades. Also, what are the differences between the Hawk V2 and V3?

So for head shaving, how would you rate all your razors? From what I am understanding, Vector is number 1, then the Hawk V2/V3, Eco are all on a similar level and then the Leaf maybe 3rd?
That's my assessment. Once i bought my Vector, the stainless steel Hawk V3 felt redundant so I sold it. They both shave well, but the Vector is lighter/smaller and easier to maneuver. I like the Hawk Eco for its economy and blade variety, and just to mix things up a bit.

IB's price for the Hawk V3 is 69.99 (one of my faves).

Yep. I mentioned that in my original post. For 20 bucks (on sale) I was referring to the aluminum version. Not quite as nice, though still a capable shaver and an inexpensive means of trying the AC blade format.

Personally, if within budget, I would go for the stainless steel version.

When I did shave Head it was daily tool of choice was BIC Black, or Schick SST.

Now there is so little head hair wise old clipper.

@Ice09 I'm not a head shaver, so I can't speak to your razor musings. But B&B members frequently sell and purchase used shaving equipment on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum. I have my own cleaning routines that give me confidence in the safety using of secondhand purchases--as do many others, I'm sure. And someone might be selling a razor you're curious to try. There's no post threshold for making purchases, however:

Cool. That's great to know. What is the cleaning routine you use if you don't mind me asking?

IB's price for the Hawk V3 is 69.99 (one of my faves).

Price is a big consideration. I'd like to try the Aluminium version that GPJoe mentioned first, but can't seem to find it listed at Italianbarber.

I second ewk's suggestions!

I've tried his suggestions with my current razors, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference for me. Not sure if I have a weird head/skin. Shape seems normal with some slight dips in certain spots, but it's mostly skin and bone as I don't have much body fat (I have a super high metabolism).

Sorry, I missed this.

Harry's was the last I used.

I do three passes with any, all razors. My shaves using an SE razor aren't faster, actually takes me a bit longer but the result is closer. I only shave my head every fourth day, so speed is not really a consideration.

The SE razors work very well around the ears.

Artist Club blades are much stiffer, and shave very well, but are much more expensive. I use the guarded blades since it is harder to cut yourself and still get very close shaves.

DE half-blades allow a LOT of choices, especially if you snap your own in half. I find the shave just as good, and the blades are much cheaper, though when I use the Hawk Eco I'm always more mindful as it seems more likely to punish me for bad technique. Once I got comfortable though, cuts and nicks are rare.

I only had/used the V3, so I can't compare.

I've never used a Thorn or Twig

I've never used any of my SE razors on my face.

Everyone is different. I bought both the 84P and the 68P and sold the 84P after using both (face only) and finding the 68P was all I needed. The razors are identical except for the base plates, which can be purchased separately if you want to try both. These razors often show up in the BST forum.

Yes. Italianbarber.com

That's my assessment. Once i bought my Vector, the stainless steel Hawk V3 felt redundant so I sold it. They both shave well, but the Vector is lighter/smaller and easier to maneuver. I like the Hawk Eco for its economy and blade variety, and just to mix things up a bit.

That's OK, thanks for replying now, though. Where do you buy the Aluminum V3 from? Not sure if I am missing it, but I don't see it listed on IB. I'd probably like to try the cheaper version before forking out for a stainless steel version, or if I like the V3, I could try the Vector later on down the line.

Interesting that you found the 68P better for your use case than the 84P. Fair point also about the SE razors taking longer to use. I do agree, though, that the result is better with one. At least with my current razors, the Thorn does the best job and that is a SE razor, but takes longest to get that result.

Also, I think I definitely want to try an Artist Club razor as it sounds like something I want to experiment with. Did you have a link to those guarded blades you use? I found a store in AU that sells them, but they only have the Feather Pro blades I think they were (I'd have to double check).

Yep. I mentioned that in my original post. For 20 bucks (on sale) I was referring to the aluminum version. Not quite as nice, though still a capable shaver and an inexpensive means of trying the AC blade format.

Personally, if within budget, I would go for the stainless steel version.

I couldn't find this one listed. Maybe I am missing it. I checked on Italian Barber. Do they still sell it? Am I missing it somewhere?

When I did shave Head it was daily tool of choice was BIC Black, or Schick SST.

Now there is so little head hair wise old clipper.

What is the Schick SST and also the BIC Black? I did a search and the BIC came up with pens and the Schick SST didn't give me a specific result.

@Ice09 I think that @DesertIguana was referring to BIC 7oclock Black blades (sometimes called ninjas) and presumably the Schick is also a blade type.

Meantime in regard to my contribution, I clean razors with a toothbrush and Dawn—some members use inexpensive ultrasound cleaning devices. Used brushes they get a dip in a diluted citric acid bath to remove soap scum.

Also, I think I definitely want to try an Artist Club razor as it sounds like something I want to experiment with. Did you have a link to those guarded blades you use? I found a store in AU that sells them, but they only have the Feather Pro blades I think they were (I'd have to double check).

Feather ProGuard of Kai Protouch.

I couldn't find this one listed. Maybe I am missing it. I checked on Italian Barber. Do they still sell it? Am I missing it somewhere

Plain aluminum:

"Hulk" green:

Edit:

Note that the aluminum razors above are the V2. I don't know specifically how those are different from the stainless steel V3, other than the material. The V2 worked for me, and I only bought the V3 for the upgraded material. The V2 should still give you an idea about the characteristics of the AC blade, though the stainless steel is a much nicer razor.

Last edited:
@Ice09 I think that @DesertIguana was referring to BIC 7oclock Black blades (sometimes called ninjas) and presumably the Schick is also a blade type.

Meantime in regard to my contribution, I clean razors with a toothbrush and Dawn—some members use inexpensive ultrasound cleaning devices. Used brushes they get a dip in a diluted citric acid bath to remove soap scum.

Thank you for the reply. Oh, he was referring to the razor blades themselves. That makes more sense now. The DE safety razor I have is a cheap Schick and it came with a 10 pack of Schick DE blades. I would say they are actually one of the top 3 blades I've tried so far (Parker being the other and maybe Gillette 7 O'clock the 3rd best), but I can't actually find them for sale anywhere. I wanted to buy some more as I only tried them once in the Leaf razors after have already used them a couple of times in the DE, so they weren't at their sharpest (I mostly used them in the Schick DE and every other blade I've tried in the DE has performed worse (head shave wise) in it). I wonder if those Schick SSTs are the same ones that came with the DE razor.

Thanks for the cleaning tips. Is the Dawn a dishwashing liquid? If so, i guess an equivalent to what I have in AU would be what I can use.

Does the citric acid (do you have an example of a brand you guys have locally. I'm guessing it would be food grade citric acid) cause any damage at all the brushes if left in it too long? Can you dip/soak a razor in diluted citric acid and have it remove the soap scum if you let it soak for a while?

Feather ProGuard of Kai Protouch.

Thanks. I will try both of these.

Plain aluminum:

I was looking for a V3 aluminum version, so that is why I couldn't find it. Didn't know there was a V2 aluminum and/or that you were referring to the V2.

Edit:

Note that the aluminum razors above are the V2. I don't know specifically how those are different from the stainless steel V3, other than the material. The V2 worked for me, and I only bought the V3 for the upgraded material. The V2 should still give you an idea about the characteristics of the AC blade, though the stainless steel is a much nicer razor.

If the V2 aluminum is the same performance wise as the V2 stainless steel, then I think that is a great starting point for me just to try out the AC type of blades. I can always get a better stainless steel version later if I like it and it suits me well. I could even go for the Vector razor you and other people mentioned too.

Also, is there much difference between the V2 and V3 Hawk, or is it just a minimal increment?

@Ice09 sorry I didn’t realize you were in AU, you’re correct that Dawn is just a dishwashing/all purpose detergent. I’ve never needed to introduce chemical cleaning to razors, the mechanical action of detergent and brush has seemed to handle any soap scum. Some members used Scrubbing Bubbles foaming bathroom cleaner, but that seems excessively harsh to me. Some folks swear by it.

Food grade citric acid can sometimes be found in bulk at specialty grocery stores. It can also be found online. I can’t point you toward a specific brand but someone else might. I only soak brushes in a dilute solution very infrequently, and not for a long duration (perhaps 20 minutes or less) with thorough rinsing afterword.

@Ice09 sorry I didn’t realize you were in AU, you’re correct that Dawn is just a dishwashing/all purpose detergent. I’ve never needed to introduce chemical cleaning to razors, the mechanical action of detergent and brush has seemed to handle any soap scum. Some members used Scrubbing Bubbles foaming bathroom cleaner, but that seems excessively harsh to me. Some folks swear by it.

Thanks. That's all very helpful. I'll just try the dishwashing type of liquid first before trying anything else.

Food grade citric acid can sometimes be found in bulk at specialty grocery stores. It can also be found online. I can’t point you toward a specific brand but someone else might. I only soak brushes in a dilute solution very infrequently, and not for a long duration (perhaps 20 minutes or less) with thorough rinsing afterword.

This should be easy enough to find if I ever do need it, thanks.

Also, since I am in AU, I am guessing not many people in the B-S-T forum would want to buy anything off of me if I did want the sell whatever razors I end up buying due to the postage costs? Is there many international members that buy and sell stuff there?

And one other question about the differences between open comb razors compared to regular razors. With the BBS "AS", what advantage and disadvantages would there be compared to buying the open comb version?

@Ice09 I have seen some AUS listings on the BST, albeit very infrequently. You might have better success selling through eBay.

I’m not familiar with the BBS razor specifically, I own the RR GameChanger .84-P and have enjoyed the shaves it provides. From a brief look around the forum folks were satisfied with the BBS variants, the OC being somewhat less aggressive than the AS. Both of those razors would be dramatically more aggressive than what you’ve tried so far, it will take practice and patience to refine your technique to achieve the results you want.

Another more affordable OC razor to consider would be a FaTip. The advantage of getting a BBS razor would be having the option to try several baseplates.

Just shaved with the new BBS OC. Before giving my thoughts on its performance I want everyone to know I really enjoy Razorock razors.

I have most of Razorock’s razors and feel I am in the minority saying I don’t really enjoy the Game Changer models. I prefer the Mamba and Lupo versions. To me they are smoother shavers. The Mamba 70 and Lupo (aluminum) have been in my rotation for a few years and I really love them. I have the stainless BBS closed comb and think of it as a cousin to the Mamba - they are similar.

Before tonight, my last shave was with the stainless steel PAA Ascension open comb - the one advertised as twist adjustable. I find it to be a very close shave but a rough shave. For me there’s too much blade feel to be an everyday razor.

The stainless BSS is similar to the PAA because it applies a very similar curve to the blade. You can twist adjust the BBS the same as you can the PAA Ascension. And that’s where the similarity ends.

The BBS OC is excellent! The OC head distinguishes itself from its Mamba cousins offering something different. I do feel Razorock has a ‘house feel’ and the BBS is on the smoother side (the JAWS being a bit rough on my face). Blade feel is slightly greater than the Mamba 70 but there’s no worry of being nicked. It’s great under and around the nose and excellent for scrubbing against the grain. I enjoyed it and will keep it in my rotation until - if/when - I replace it with something else.

For anyone interested in finding common ground, my favorite razors are on the mild side (Tatara Masamune is my favorite followed by Razorock Mamba 70). I’d include the new BBS OC on the list of favorites - it’s similar but different. It might be the best OC I’ve used. I really loved it.

@Ice09 I have seen some AUS listings on the BST, albeit very infrequently. You might have better success selling through eBay.

Hi, thanks for the advice. I might have to try locally. Hopefully whatever I get, I want to keep, though, so that would take away the hassle of trying to resell, but if reselling, I'd only want to do that with the more expensive razors as I wouldn't want them sitting around doing nothing. I've also never sold on Ebay before, so not sure if it's time consuming to list an ad?

I’m not familiar with the BBS razor specifically, I own the RR GameChanger .84-P and have enjoyed the shaves it provides. From a brief look around the forum folks were satisfied with the BBS variants, the OC being somewhat less aggressive than the AS. Both of those razors would be dramatically more aggressive than what you’ve tried so far, it will take practice and patience to refine your technique to achieve the results you want.

Yeah, thanks. The Gamechanger .84-P sounds great, but I haven't come across many people that do head shaves with it. Sounds really good for face shaving, though. I didn't have any fear of trying these, but now that you've mentioned both would be a lot more aggressive that what I've used so far, I'll have to be careful. Glad you mentioned it, as I might have been to carefree on the first shaves with any of these not thinking about it since what I'm currently using isn't that aggressive.

With aggressive razors, do I need to go slow to start with, or is it more about the technique and finding the right angle?

Another more affordable OC razor to consider would be a FaTip. The advantage of getting a BBS razor would be having the option to try several baseplates.

Which of the FaTips would you recommend? I just looked at Italian Barber and they seem to be amazingly priced. I like that most of them are OC, but not sure which model/s would be best for head shaving. I wouldn't mind giving one a go. I did see one called the Piccolo (I remember seeing a youtube video a while back with someone doing a head shave with it), but a couple of people's reviews mentioned blade alignment (Couldn't quite understand what he meant as he said he didn't have time to stuff around for 10 minutes trying to align the blade. Not sure how the blade needs to be aligned as he didn't describe the process).

never sold on Ebay before
Me either. I don't dabble much in razors above the $50 USD mark, so if I don't like a razor I usually give it away on the forum. I don't imagine eBay is that difficult to use, but again I have no experience.

more about the technique and finding the right angle
You hit the nail on the head. Aggressive-er razors demand better technique, typically because of larger blade gaps or greater blade exposure, there's less room for error. Most importantly, with any razor (but especially the more aggressive variety) you must use the lightest possible touch of the blade against the face. Typically these more efficient razors will more rapidly and dramatically punish a person shaving with any pressure.

To their benefit, they usually "work" with less precise angles, because the blade reaches the hair (and hopefully not the skin) more easily. For the same reason, they also have an easier time cutting flat lying stubble. If you can develop a gentle touch, other mistakes won't result in cuts/nicks/injury (this mantra applies to shaving with any razor). Aggressive razors are to be respected, but not feared.

Which of the FaTips
The Piccolo and Grande differ only in handles, their heads are identical. FaTip only makes three heads: Gentile (closed comb/safety bar, less aggressive) Originale (open comb) and Lo Sorto (slant). Perhaps for head shaving, the Retro makes the most sense: it uses the open comb head with a longer handle, might make it easier to use.

Here's someone shaving with the shorter-handled FaTip Piccolo:

However FaTip does come with one drawback:

blade alignment
The guide pins on the FaTip razors are smaller than the holes in standard razor blades. I'm not sure why they made this design decision, but it means there's "play" in the alignment of the blade. If loaded carelessly, the blade can be out of parallel with the head/teeth and make for an inconsistent shave. The blade must be installed correctly, inspected afterword, and adjusted as necessary. With some experience, this process takes no longer than 60 seconds.

However it is annoying, and some folks have attempted DIY fixes to reduce this challenge. In my personal experience, it is annoying but ultimately not problematic. These are all-brass razors at 1/2 the cost of Zamak (pot metal that erodes if the plating is damaged) and they shave beautifully when loaded correctly. FaTip also uses an exotic threading on the head post, so you can't switch handles easily. But to me, that's become a non-issue as I've adjusted to the razor.

Welcome

I have been head shaving just a few weeks now

Once of twice weekly
Alternating between King C Gilette & EJ Kelvin...both mild razors
Razor blades various Derby Extra/Premium,King C Gillette ,Astra Stainless
Nivea Shaving Cream is my weapon of choice

My technique is improving not getting nicks/cuts much now except if there are acne spots lurking around

I usually go 1st pass WTG then 2/3 passes ATG
Usually taking me 30mins as i take my time - especially around the back
As always practice practice practice as technique is everything

Me either. I don't dabble much in razors above the $50 USD mark, so if I don't like a razor I usually give it away on the forum. I don't imagine eBay is that difficult to use, but again I have no experience.

I don't think I'd bother selling any of the cheaper ones, would only want to sell the 50USD+ ones if I don't use them at all.

You hit the nail on the head. Aggressive-er razors demand better technique, typically because of larger blade gaps or greater blade exposure, there's less room for error. Most importantly, with any razor (but especially the more aggressive variety) you must use the lightest possible touch of the blade against the face. Typically these more efficient razors will more rapidly and dramatically punish a person shaving with any pressure.

Darn, I'm going to have to be careful then as I tend to put a tiny bit of pressure on both the Leaf Thorn and Leaf Shave (this is pretty safe, though, due to pivoting head) at times, but those razors are both pretty mild.

To their benefit, they usually "work" with less precise angles, because the blade reaches the hair (and hopefully not the skin) more easily. For the same reason, they also have an easier time cutting flat lying stubble. If you can develop a gentle touch, other mistakes won't result in cuts/nicks/injury (this mantra applies to shaving with any razor). Aggressive razors are to be respected, but not feared.

That's good to know you don't have to get the angle perfect. However, it makes me a little scared to start with an aggressive razor on my head for the first shaves with it. I wasn't worried about it at all, but since I've never used something really aggressive, I'm starting to feel a little nervous ;). I also have grown a beard so I can't try them for face shaving first.

The Piccolo and Grande differ only in handles, their heads are identical. FaTip only makes three heads: Gentile (closed comb/safety bar, less aggressive) Originale (open comb) and Lo Sorto (slant). Perhaps for head shaving, the Retro makes the most sense: it uses the open comb head with a longer handle, might make it easier to use.

Ahh right, thanks. Sounds like the retro would be the best for me to start with if I went with FaTip.

The guide pins on the FaTip razors are smaller than the holes in standard razor blades. I'm not sure why they made this design decision, but it means there's "play" in the alignment of the blade. If loaded carelessly, the blade can be out of parallel with the head/teeth and make for an inconsistent shave. The blade must be installed correctly, inspected afterword, and adjusted as necessary. With some experience, this process takes no longer than 60 seconds.

So the guide pins are smaller where the blade is guided making it loose when the blade is inserted before screwing it down? When you tighten it down, I assume it stays in place so you just have to get it in the right spot before tightening it fully? Man, I wonder why they did that. Sounds like amazing value razors if you take away that little flaw/issue.

However it is annoying, and some folks have attempted DIY fixes to reduce this challenge. In my personal experience, it is annoying but ultimately not problematic. These are all-brass razors at 1/2 the cost of Zamak (pot metal that erodes if the plating is damaged) and they shave beautifully when loaded correctly. FaTip also uses an exotic threading on the head post, so you can't switch handles easily. But to me, that's become a non-issue as I've adjusted to the razor.

I figured there was another catch if the handles can't be changed, but like you said, the value for money is great. Didn't realize they also use all-brass too. So other cheaper brands use Zamak? What is Zamak, just a blend of metals?

Welcome

Thanks for the welcome. Pretty cool that you've only just started head shaving. Seems like you're doing great with it so far, though.

Once of twice weekly

I'll have a look at all those razors. Do you have a link to the shaving cream? Also, what is your preference of blades from the ones you've used so far. Don't think I've seen the King C Gillette ones for sale here in AU.

My technique is improving not getting nicks/cuts much now except if there are acne spots lurking around

Sounds like you're doing really good for someone that just started.

That is pretty much what I am aiming for - 1 pass WTG and 1-2 passes ATG. I am just going to try going for a DFS rather than a BBS result. What kind of result are you getting?

Currently, if I did those passes (1 x WTG + 2 x ATG) with my current razors the back of my head always ends up with a SAS type of shave, maybe a CCS depending on what razor blade I use, but never DFS or BBS unless I do a ton more passes which takes time (this is when I start rushing when going for the DFS or BBS) and it also leads to irritation.

Not sure why I have so much stubble on the back after doing those 3 passes. The sides usually end up OK with those passes and the top decent (little bit of stubble ATG), but the back of the head is always left with quite a bit of stubble XTG, ATG and a little bit WTG. I also have a spot at the very top of the crown where I end up with a few stragglers no matter how many passes I do.

Last edited:
Qanzoq said:
Welcome

Thanks for the welcome. Pretty cool that you've only just started head shaving. Seems like you're doing great with it so far, though.

Not bad getting there still learning

Qanzoq said:
Once of twice weekly

I'll have a look at all those razors. Do you have a link to the shaving cream? Also, what is your preference of blades from the ones you've used so far. Don't think I've seen the King C Gillette ones for sale here in AU.

I live in the UK so no idea if it sells where you are - if not Palmolive Shave Cream is always well regarded here...excellent value for money hopefully it is available where you are.
Also it seems hair conditioner is pretty good as well...not tried it yet but will just to see and compare

Nivea Shaving Cream

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sensitive-...5&sprefix=nivea+shaving+cream,aps,2134&sr=8-5

Blades - The King C Gillette blades came with the Razor and i found them to be excellent - but from what i have seen they are expensive compared to many other blades
I am no expert by any means but the blades i have used would be classed at the mild end of the scale of razor blades.
The ones i listed have all given me the same shave so any would be good for me as i prefer milder blades for my head shave
I have just bought BIC Platinum/Nacet blades which seems to be at the sharper edge of the scale so will see soon .

Qanzoq said:

Sounds like you're doing really good for someone that just started.

Thanks but still work in progess - but happy with the results

Qanzoq said:

That is pretty much what I am aiming for - 1 pass WTG and 1-2 passes ATG. I am just going to try going for a DFS rather than a BBS result. What kind of result are you getting?

I would say DFS at the moment,not looking for a super BBS shave but it is pretty close i think - and it did not take long to get to that.

Currently, if I did those passes (1 x WTG + 2 x ATG) with my current razors the back of my head always ends up with a SAS type of shave, maybe a CCS depending on what razor blade I use, but never DFS or BBS unless I do a ton more passes which takes time (this is when I start rushing when going for the DFS or BBS) and it also leads to irritation.

Not sure why I have so much stubble on the back after doing those 3 passes. The sides usually end up OK with those passes and the top decent (little bit of stubble ATG), but the back of the head is always left with quite a bit of stubble XTG, ATG and a little bit WTG. I also have a spot at the very top of the crown where I end up with a few stragglers no matter how many passes I do.

I wanted to keep it simple and still do so 1 WTG and 2/3 ATG is fine for me at the moment - and i do not want to be doing several passes for decreasing returns and more chance of nicks/irritation etc.
I concentrate at the back as i tend to find the top/forehead/sides are pretty easy to get right with enough passes
I also guess that in time the skin will get used to being shaved so that helps too i would think.

I guess repetition repetition etc etc until you get the required level you want.

Good luck happy shaves

Top Bottom