What's new

Questions about a Gillette razor

I've had this razor all my adult life (since the late 1970s) but until lately only saw it as a tool. Now I'm interested in learning more about it. Can anyone help me to identify and age it?

I have no recollection as to how I obtained it and whether it was new or not. From what I've read it's probably a Tech and the V stamp indicates it dates from either 1950 or 1975.

On Sunday I found a similar razor at a street market. It is identical in every way except that it doesn't have the V. and 6 stamps that mine does. If the absence of these codes indicates it was made pre-1950 then it's similarity to mine suggests that mine dates back to 1950 rather than 1975.

Unlike the plates, the handle is not plated and appears to be either aluminium or some kind of alloy.

Please excuse the poor quality of the photos. I don't often photograph small things and have neither a proper macro lens nor a softbox to soften and even out light from my flash.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Keeping in mind it is made in England is important, I don't think they followed the US date code formula, so I think the V doesn't nec. designate 1950 (the only American V razors from 1950 I am aware of had a V3 as an experimental or trial date code system, and I don't think all 1950 Gillette's had even that).

Any British razor guys out there who could shed some light? Achim? Or Guido (who knows Gillette's from wherever, period! :thumbup1:).

Keeping in mind it is made in England is important, I don't think they followed the US date code formula, so I think the V doesn't nec. designate 1950 (the only American V razors from 1950 I am aware of had a V3 as an experimental or trial date code system, and I don't think all 1950 Gillette's had even that).

Any British razor guys out there who could shed some light? Achim? Or Guido (who knows Gillette's from wherever, period! :thumbup1:).

I believe this handle comes mid 60s. I don´t know what say mean with that "V3". My "Psycho" has a "D4" and I thought it´s 1958. But the head looks more like 60s style, so I think I´m wrong - it´s not a date code.

1967:

proxy.php

Thanks Achim! To explain the V3 thing, in '52 Gillette US adopted the date code system you're familiar with (small single letter on left, single number on right, under head, designating year and quarter, with W being = to 1952).

But in 1951, at least on some Super Speeds (unsure if other models were included) they put a V on the raised diamond area under the head on one side of the handle, and a 3 on the oppsite side of the handle. AFAIK, there were no other numbers (aside from the 3), and I have no idea if the 3 denoted anything (such as quarter). Also unsure if all the years production had these, though I think not.

Correction to above: As seen below, I had my dates mixed up :mad2:, W=1951, the V3 thing was in 1950. Speaking of getting my dates mixed up, was it Mary, or Sue... ? :wink:

Last edited:
I believe this handle comes mid 60s. I don´t know what say mean with that "V3". My "Psycho" has a "D4" and I thought it´s 1958. But the head looks more like 60s style, so I think I´m wrong - it´s not a date code.

1967:

proxy.php

Thanks, Achim. I had been looking at that one too, when I tried to identify my new Rotbart. It is almost exactly this one, only the middle plate is made of clear plastic. I suspected it to be sixties or seventies, because of that. So I call my newest Rotbart, a Sportsman?

Thanks, Achim. I had been looking at that one too, when I tried to identify my new Rotbart. It is almost exactly this one, only the middle plate is made of clear plastic. I suspected it to be sixties or seventies, because of that. So I call my newest Rotbart, a Sportsman?

Do you mean that one?

Thanks Achim! To explain the V3 thing, in '52 Gillette US adopted the date code system you're familiar with (small single letter on left, single number on right, under head, designating year and quarter, with W being = to 1952).

But in 1951, at least on some Super Speeds (unsure if other models were included) they put a V on the raised diamond area under the head on one side of the handle, and a 3 on the oppsite side of the handle. AFAIK, there were no other numbers (aside from the 3), and I have no idea if the 3 denoted anything (such as quarter). Also unsure if all the years production had these, though I think not.

Sorry Rick, but the Super-Speed "V3" is from 1950. Date code starts 1951 with "W". My british made "Psycho" has a "D4" on the diamond area under the head, and now I think, it´s not 1958

Sorry Rick, but the Super-Speed "V3" is from 1950. Date code starts 1951 with "W". My british made "Psycho" has a "D4" on the diamond area under the head, and now I think, it´s not 1958

Of course you are correct! Don't know why I got the dates wrong, I knew better.... I have a couple of '51 "forties style" Super Speeds, with the W of course.

I think I must need to find myself a V3, just to reinforce my knowledge :biggrin:.

Thanks guys, it's most interesting to me as a newbie in safety razor history, but not use, to learn about all these different razors. You guys are lucky to have such easy access to all these different razors. Here in South Africa the cartridge razors have taken over but even so one hardly finds safety razors anywhere. Buying from eBay is a possibility but our postal system has been unreliable for many years with much theft of parcel contents happening so I tend to avoid this as an option.

Top Bottom