What's new

Question to those who use Gillette 7o'clock Permasharp Stainless blades.

It's not that.

The numbers on the end of the tucks:
3080 - 2023 80th day
2336 - 2022 336th day

The letters on the blades:

T-1 - 2023 1st quarter

S-4 - 2022 4th quarter

Thanks. I never noticed number on the end of the tuck but never looked before. I have noticed the other numbers on the blades and thought I read what they were for but couldn't remember.

eBay. When I bought them in 2016 I bought them straight from a dealer in India for something like $13 per 100. I then bought my friend 200 for I think $22 or $24, the more you bought the more you saved. I had thought about ordering like 5000 and selling them but after doing the math between shipping cost and blade cost I figured the most I could make per 100 without going overboard on price was maybe a $1.

This last 200 was a US seller and he had a make an offer and low balled him and the counter offer I accepted and after taxes paid just short of $18.

When searching make sure and type 7 o'clock Permasharp and verify with the seller that the actual blades are Permasharp and not the green Super Stainless blades. A lot of them post pictures and don't know the difference between the two blades.
Much obliged :)

eBay. When I bought them in 2016 I bought them straight from a dealer in India for something like $13 per 100. I then bought my friend 200 for I think $22 or $24, the more you bought the more you saved. I had thought about ordering like 5000 and selling them but after doing the math between shipping cost and blade cost I figured the most I could make per 100 without going overboard on price was maybe a $1.

This last 200 was a US seller and he had a make an offer and low balled him and the counter offer I accepted and after taxes paid just short of $18.

When searching make sure and type 7 o'clock Permasharp and verify with the seller that the actual blades are Permasharp and not the green Super Stainless blades. A lot of them post pictures and don't know the difference between the two blades.

Only 3-4 years ago the prices on all Indian blades were much much lower on Ebay. Now they are as twice as expensive. Still the prices on EBay are lower than what they are selling you them for there in the US.

This is the price for a sleeve I bought in November 2019. Not even a best offer. :cool:

permasharp price.jpg

Only 3-4 years ago the prices on all Indian blades were much much lower on Ebay. Now they are as twice as expensive. Still the prices on EBay are lower than what they are selling you them for there in the US.

This is the price for a sleeve I bought in November 2019. Not even a best offer. :cool:

View attachment 1700338

It is definitely hard to find US sellers but when I was looking at the beginning of the year and found this US seller that had a 200 lot and make an offer, I think he had it listed for $18 and was just going to order it but of course the frugal side of me said throw him an offer for I think like $13 and he counter offered at $16 and I hit buy, with tax it came to just short of $18 so at $9 per 100 it's not a bad price. Might not be the best deal if I have to toss 20-30% on the first half pass though. But at the time I was looking this was a better deal than any offer I found from sellers from India or I certainly would have ordered them from their even if it would only have saved me maybe a $.50 or a buck.

They are both made the Badi plant. It's the same factory. I have the older ones as well as the new ones. I unfortunately do not take a blade to conclusion in multiple razors.

About 2 years ago the packaging was changed to the newer one and there was a price bump too.

I'll try to see if I can do a compare in my Rockwell 6S, where this blade gives the smoothest shaves
Price bump to Rs 30 which equates to under $0.40 for the pack. :)

It is apparent that these new blades just can't handle my beard with a 4 day growth. Last shave I think was 3 days between shaves and it pulled so bad and it was a blade. Today was a 4 days growth and after last shave I decided to put in yet another new blade and again it pulled so bad I had to stop on the first stroke and grab my Schick Injector to get through the first pass. I think I am going to skip and go for 4 days and try one of the older blades just to see if my whiskers have gotten that tough or if these blades are actually duller than I am used to. I might even compare it to my Wilkinson Sword. If the older ones can do the job or even the Wilkinson Swords can do it then I am done with these blades.

It is apparent that these new blades just can't handle my beard with a 4 day growth. Last shave I think was 3 days between shaves and it pulled so bad and it was a blade. Today was a 4 days growth and after last shave I decided to put in yet another new blade and again it pulled so bad I had to stop on the first stroke and grab my Schick Injector to get through the first pass. I think I am going to skip and go for 4 days and try one of the older blades just to see if my whiskers have gotten that tough or if these blades are actually duller than I am used to. I might even compare it to my Wilkinson Sword. If the older ones can do the job or even the Wilkinson Swords can do it then I am done with these blades.
With 4 day growth I think the only blade that could work for me would be the Feather. This would be the case for DE89 and AS-D2. What razor are you using?

With 4 day growth I think the only blade that could work for me would be the Feather. This would be the case for DE89 and AS-D2. What razor are you using?

Feathers don't work either, they even seem to get dull to me after about 3 shaves of 2 day growth. I normally don't go 4 days but lately it has been the norm and probably should get back to 2 day again. I am not one of those that can shave everyday.

Gillette Slim is my razor of choice. I don't have either of those razors you mentioned. I could try it in my New short OC and see if it makes a difference. Or just get back to every other day again.

I have had a couple of these blades pull bad on my usual 2 days growth before. I guess I just have to come to the conclusion that my whiskers are getting tougher as I age.

Feathers don't work either, they even seem to get dull to me after about 3 shaves of 2 day growth. I normally don't go 4 days but lately it has been the norm and probably should get back to 2 day again. I am not one of those that can shave everyday.

Gillette Slim is my razor of choice. I don't have either of those razors you mentioned. I could try it in my New short OC and see if it makes a difference. Or just get back to every other day again.

I have had a couple of these blades pull bad on my usual 2 days growth before. I guess I just have to come to the conclusion that my whiskers are getting tougher as I age.
The razors I mentioned are both very mild. They are not designed for a 4 day stubble. For that you need an aggressive open comb razor IMO.

The razors I mentioned are both very mild. They are not designed for a 4 day stubble. For that you need an aggressive open comb razor IMO.

About as aggressive I can get from my razors I have is either my Slim or Fatboy set at 9. But even with the Slim set to 7 is more than adequate, it just isn't going to stop the pulling with these newer blades. My whiskers are still quite short at 4 days, they don't grow that fast. I don't recall the old blades struggling to cut. I have a box or two left so going to experiment the next couple shave with the old ones and the Wilkinson. It would be just easier to get back into the routine of every other day but that cure me finding dull blades with the new batch though. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

About as aggressive I can get from my razors I have is either my Slim or Fatboy set at 9. But even with the Slim set to 7 is more than adequate, it just isn't going to stop the pulling with these newer blades. My whiskers are still quite short at 4 days, they don't grow that fast. I don't recall the old blades struggling to cut. I have a box or two left so going to experiment the next couple shave with the old ones and the Wilkinson. It would be just easier to get back into the routine of every other day but that cure me finding dull blades with the new batch though. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
Interesting. Makes me want to try a single edge razor.

Interesting. Makes me want to try a single edge razor.

I have my Dad's Schick Injector J1. About 6 to 7 years ago before I found DE shaving I got tired of shaving and would only shave once a week on Saturday or Sunday. II used Twin disposables back then and they of course don't work as they would clog up. I would use the J1 Injector and of course it is somewhat aggressive and cleans the whiskers off with ease. I use it often and enjoy it. I think the blades are thicker, more rigid, so it seems like there is no pulling on a longer growth. I also have a modern Parker Injector adjustable, I think it is version 1, that I bought a couple years ago. Settings from 1 to 5 but even at 5 it is on the mild side. Decent razor for what it is but would rather use the old J1 instead. The Parker came with Taconic blades, not sure if they are the old Personna blades. There are other modern single edge that take those Feather artist club blades but some of those razors to me are way over prices so I haven't bought one of those to try.

I was going to hold out to day 4 and try an experiment but decided let's try a 3 day beard. I decided to put in the older double wrapped blade, shave the right side on the first pass and then switch to the newer single wrap for the left side, then finished up with the newer blade on the other 2 passes. I have to come to the conclusion that these newer blades can't handle 4 days of my growth so I guess I will no longer skip shave and keep it to 2 days, 3 days tops. At some point I might try this with 4 days growth and see of there is a difference between the blades.

Top Bottom