What's new

Question: Schicks vs. Double Edge Razors in Terms of Technique

I am in the process of coming back to My Schick injectors after not using them for a few years. I have an E, and a hydro-magic which is an L, I believe.

The things that I have noticed. As others have said: 1. angle is different so that the blade is flater to the face. 2. I find I use more pressure than a DE. 3. shorter strokes that are slower have allowed me to get a better/closer shave. When I have used longer strokes the blade can come off the the skin or move and miss spots. 4. I have had to change the angles that I use for the curves of my face and jaw line and areas of my neck as compared to my DE razors. I am still working to get to BBS. I need to work on my neck and jaw. For me it takes practice to get to BBS. 5. I also put grip tape on my E because it would just slip out of my hand. I have big hands and long fingers the grip tape has really helped my shave. I also think a thicker handle might improve my shave. As always YMMV and my 2 pennies. It is taking me practice to get to my level of shave quality I get with a DE.

I also just bought two more Schick Injectors because I like the shave experience.

Well you can make your Super Speed, and Tech work better with different blades, I am sure some other makers might chime in with blade recommendations. My advise is get some blade sampler pack of 5 each, and find a blade that give you better results you seek.

Razor Emporium in PHX sell sampler packs. So I will reference for reference, as they are not the only online retailer to sell sample packs.

Double Edge Razor Blades | Choose Your Sample Pack - https://www.razoremporium.com/double-edge-razor-blades-choose-your-sample-pack/

Good hunting.
Visit your link and a pop up comes up asking for my email. The popup thanks for joining now will not go away ! cant see the rest of the site, is it any good?

I am in the process of coming back to My Schick injectors after not using them for a few years. I have an E, and a hydro-magic which is an L, I believe.

The things that I have noticed. As others have said: 1. angle is different so that the blade is flater to the face. 2. I find I use more pressure than a DE. 3. shorter strokes that are slower have allowed me to get a better/closer shave. When I have used longer strokes the blade can come off the the skin or move and miss spots. 4. I have had to change the angles that I use for the curves of my face and jaw line and areas of my neck as compared to my DE razors. I am still working to get to BBS. I need to work on my neck and jaw. For me it takes practice to get to BBS. 5. I also put grip tape on my E because it would just slip out of my hand. I have big hands and long fingers the grip tape has really helped my shave. I also think a thicker handle might improve my shave. As always YMMV and my 2 pennies. It is taking me practice to get to my level of shave quality I get with a DE.

I also just bought two more Schick Injectors because I like the shave experience.

This, Sir, is exactly the kind of response I was hoping to receive in this thread. I thank you kindly.

As others have said, it's mostly a technique thing.

FWIW, I kind of consider the Injector to be the Tech of the SE world. Always supremely comfortable but BBS is still in reach. Mostly a matter of managing the angle and maybe a bit of skin stretching where necessary.

I think I have twelve Schicks altogether!

Can you offer any specific advice with regard to angle and pressure?
Hey brotha just bought some soaps from you they where great by the way. The Zip pepino is more up my alley. I actually picked up my Chicks again. I actually made a post about my experience with it. I'll quote you what I wrote and a link to my post if you are interested.

"Hey guys! Ive had 2 schicks for quite a while now but haven't touched them in over two years. I havnt used them because I honestly got some of the worst shaves Ive ever had with them. Now honestly the only thing I changed was the angle in which I shaved with them. The common recommendation that I always read or saw was to keep the razor head almost parallel to the face and bring the handle down till the blade engages. I did that but honestly from such horrible results I never touched them again. However for the past few days ive implemented a "steep" angle/riding the guard on my de shaves with great success. In the past I have always shaved with a shallow angle/riding the cap when shaving. This just always seemed natural to me because in the past I shaved with my fathers razor which was essentially a tech without the guard a "divette" in other words. It just seemed like riding the guard to be more likely to scrape the face rather than effectively cutting the hairs. So I went steep by putting the guard on my face and moved the handle up till the blade was engaged. And hot dang that thing cut smooth with no tugging. Did two cross the grain passes and I was done. Definitely excited to keep using this razor and other Schicks."

Top Bottom