What's new

Question: Schicks vs. Double Edge Razors in Terms of Technique

I have purchased several Schick Razors over the past few years-Es, Gs and one Eversharp, I believe. I love these razors, but I have never been able to achieve an extremely close shave (ECS) with them. I can always feel stubble all over no matter how many passes I make With them. I tried the Chinese Schick blades, but didn’t care for them. I have since settled on Schick Proline B-20s.

I can achieve ECS with practically any DE razor as long as I’m using either Gillette Silver Blue or Astra SP blades.

Is anyone able to offer any advice, which might lead to better results for me?

Calling Dave (@Whiterook)!!!

Looked at a couple of Shocks you listed. I have few Shick SSTs? They do not shave for crap. JMHO.

I would say find of Vintage Gillette like Flair, Super Speed, or Tech.

They should do better then disposable.

Bad news there is learn cure to use DE, and time is what you need.

My Shock SST weight 1/4 OZ, most of my Vintage Gillettes weight in + or -, 2.0 ounces.

So the weight is big difference, DO NOT BEAR DOWN, let Razors Weight do work.

I mentioned weight difference for reference. I only use SSTs because I still have 3 or 4 new ones, hate throwing $ away.

Looked at a couple of Shocks you listed. I have few Shick SSTs? They do not shave for crap. JMHO.

I would say find of Vintage Gillette like Flair, Super Speed, or Tech.

They should do better then disposable.

Bad news there is learn cure to use DE, and time is what you need.

My Shock SST weight 1/4 OZ, most of my Vintage Gillettes weight in + or -, 2.0 ounces.

So the weight is big difference, DO NOT BEAR DOWN, let Razors Weight do work.

I mentioned weight difference for reference. I only use SSTs because I still have 3 or 4 new ones, hate throwing $ away.

My shave with Schicks is not as close as I would like it to be. However, my face looks wonderful after using them. I would not say that the shave they deliver is terrible by any means-it’s well beyond being socially acceptable for me. I just would like to be able to achieve a much closer shave with these razors because I really enjoy using them.

I have dozens and dozens of DE razors, including many vintage ones. However, most of them are on the more aggressive side of the efficiency scale, and those are the ones I favor. I do have a Super Speed and a Tech, for example, and I think I have used each of them literally one single time as they are way too mild for me.

My shave with Schicks is not as close as I would like it to be. However, my face looks wonderful after using them. I would not say that the shave they deliver is terrible by any means-it’s well beyond being socially acceptable for me. I just would like to be able to achieve a much closer shave with these razors because I really enjoy using them.

I have dozens and dozens of DE razors, including many vintage ones. However, most of them are on the more aggressive side of the efficiency scale, and those are the ones I favor. I do have a Super Speed and a Tech, for example, and I think I have used each of them literally one single time as they are way too mild for me.

Well you can make your Super Speed, and Tech work better with different blades, I am sure some other makers might chime in with blade recommendations. My advise is get some blade sampler pack of 5 each, and find a blade that give you better results you seek.

Razor Emporium in PHX sell sampler packs. So I will reference for reference, as they are not the only online retailer to sell sample packs.

Double Edge Razor Blades | Choose Your Sample Pack - https://www.razoremporium.com/double-edge-razor-blades-choose-your-sample-pack/

Good hunting.

I have purchased several Schick Razors over the past few years-Es, Gs and one Eversharp, I believe. I love these razors, but I have never been able to achieve an extremely close shave (ECS) with them. I can always feel stubble all over no matter how many passes I make With them. I tried the Chinese Schick blades, but didn’t care for them. I have since settled on Schick Proline B-20s.

I can achieve ECS with practically any DE razor as long as I’m using either Gillette Silver Blue or Astra SP blades.

Is anyone able to offer any advice, which might lead to better results for me?

Calling Dave (@Whiterook)!!!
I'm not sure what the problem is, unless it's the angle you are using. Maybe your beard is particularly tough. With any of the razors you mentioned I can get BBS in two passes. I can see getting one damaged razor, but not three!

Well you can make your Super Speed, and Tech work better with different blades, I am sure some other makers might chime in with blade recommendations. My advise is get some blade sampler pack of 5 each, and find a blade that give you better results you seek.

Razor Emporium in PHX sell sampler packs. So I will reference for reference, as they are not the only online retailer to sell sample packs.

Double Edge Razor Blades | Choose Your Sample Pack - https://www.razoremporium.com/double-edge-razor-blades-choose-your-sample-pack/

Good hunting.

I have been using Double Edge razors since 1999. The only advice I’m looking for is the specific advice I asked about here.

I'm not sure what the problem is, unless it's the angle you are using. Maybe your beard is particularly tough. With any of the razors you mentioned I can get BBS in two passes. I can see getting one damaged razor, but not three!

I think I have twelve Schicks altogether!

Can you offer any specific advice with regard to angle and pressure?

DE razors have a thin blade that is curved inside the head of the DE razor. Generally, you shave with the blade about 30 degrees away from your skin.

SE razors have thick blades that do not bend. The heads are designed such that you shave with the head almost flat against your skin. If you try to shave with an angle similar to your DE razor, you will never get a close shave.

Seconding what @RayClem wrote above. You can get a close shave, but you need to use a different angle than with DEs. Put the flat part of the razor head up against the face, then angle slightly away until the blade edge can be felt. The razors are very light, so you must control the pressure, but very little is needed once the angle is dialed-in. Use short, quick strokes rather than long, sweeping strokes. Careful on the more curved areas of the face, such as around the jawbone, since the blade is rigid and won't flex like a DE will.

I think I have twelve Schicks altogether!

Can you offer any specific advice with regard to angle and pressure?
You need to place the head flat to your face and adjust the angle slightly until it cuts. I don't use much pressure on the razor, I just get a feel for what it needs. Sometimes it takesca few shaves to adjust to a new razor.

DE razors have a thin blade that is curved inside the head of the DE razor. Generally, you shave with the blade about 30 degrees away from your skin.

SE razors have thick blades that do not bend. The heads are designed such that you shave with the head almost flat against your skin. If you try to shave with an angle similar to your DE razor, you will never get a close shave.

If I’m understanding you correctly, I think I’m doing this already.

Although the choices in SE razor blades for your Schick injector are not nearly as wide as in the DE world, there are still a few choices. When I got my NOS Schick Type L, it came with vintage Schick blades. I could not get a decent shave. I am now using the Chinese made Schick blades (aka Chicks) and get a great shave.

@Quaznoid - are you sure you're shaving yourself? Your use of the tools must be second nature or someone else is shaving you. Or, you're dramatically misrepresenting what's required to use tools effectively.

Technique is required and that's inclusive of learning how much, if any pressure is required for the razor to do the job for your skin and hair. If you have enough experience, then you should be able to rapidly adapt to any razor and determine whether or not it can produce the results you want.

I don't know if you drive cars, but if you do on any sort of regular basis then you should be able to drive nearly any car and figure out how to use it to get you from point A to point B without too much thought.

I've been DE shaving for over 12 years. It took me two shaves to dial in the use of the Schicks and now don't need to think much about it. That's me, YMMV.

my first two shaves with the schick L weren’t great. the technique doesn’t just appear out of nowhere.

all tools require technique development to perfect their operation. i think to say anything otherwise is misleading and disingenuous.

@Quaznoid - you’re obviously quite content with your Schicks. that’s very nice for you.

The L is not the best of the Schicks, far from it. I retired the L from my rotation. I found that the chrome head didn’t glide through my lather like the brass heads of the E, G and J. Maybe you should try another Schick.

well you didn’t specify previously that any specific Schick was better than another.

I have the L, and I and a G and after some time i found them to all function the same. The chrome vs brass head finish was of zero consequence.

so apparently e, g and j schicks require no technique and are the finest shaving razor in the world, right? :)

Top Bottom