What's new

Question on Strop/Paste

Does anyone have experience with this product?
Fromm Razor Strop 2 1/2" X 23" by Fromm ($35.99)

Also, I have two questions for the group.

1. When is the other (canvas) side used, and
2. Any recommendations on strop paste?

thanks

... 1. When is the other (canvas) side used....
I use my canvas after every shave for 20 or 30 laps, and every time I hone a blade for 60 or so laps.

2. Any recommendations on strop paste?...

Use sparingly. (like 10 laps) And only when you feel like your razor is tugging a bit, or that it's lost a bit of keenness.
The paste provides a bit of abrasivenes, and I've found it can be quite easy to over-do it.

No problem:001_smile
I'm surprised the more experienced guys didn't jump in. Strop pastes cover a huge rage of stuff.
I don't really use them much, though I've just gotten some Thiers Issard strop paste to experiment with.
I find my skin or technique or something and pastes don't do too well together. Every time I shave with a blade done with paste, I seem to get ingrown hairs.

Last edited:
Many users seem to like 20-40 laps on canvas before hitting the leather, at every shave. Some just use canvas when they think the edge needs it. I just use 1-2 laps on a barber hone; instead of canvas. Some use canvas plain, for pastes, fine wood ash, or other materials. Some use any combination(s) of the above. Finding out which works for you is the fun part.

I don't use pastes anymore, because I prefer a honed edge. My favorite pastes were Dovo black (~1u), 0.5 chromium oxide, and the TI (~2.5u?). The TI "Pate A" in the white tube can be a bit lumpy to apply; much easier to do when heated with something like a hair dryer. My top favorite was the Dovo black. Keep in mind that this is just my own personal preferences. Have fun finding yours.

Top Bottom