What's new

Question on blade today

Hello all. I know I know as a newbie on my 3rd month I'm advised to stick with one razor/blade for a month before I try another. However, I am impatient and 55 years old. At that rate I'll be 95 trying blades. I want to settle down sooner or later on several blades. I am now trying the 7'oclock Black and today was a DFS with my new Fatip Gentile. Nice razor and very pretty. Blade seems to align with no problems.

Italian/Polish American with course Grey/Black hair.

My question's are this. Next up is the Rockwell 6C Which plate should I try first? I was thinking 3 with a sharper blade. I notice this razor has more blade exposer than the Fatip or the Henson's I own.

I have a Merkur 42C. After looking at the spreadsheet I made. I see that with 6 blades tried on it so far I rated just ok or No. Or had buffing to. What does this say to you? Merkur is too mild? I have on ebay right now to try and sell.

Just kicking the can down the road to generate discussion.

May the 4th be with you! (OK, I had to say it!)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've never used a Rockwell, but I'm sure others will chime in.

The admonition to stick with one blade for a month is only for your first month, not the rest of your life. When you're technique is in constant flux for that first month or so it's best not to change a lot of variables so you know that any trouble comes from technique.

By now you should be ready to amass a small collection of 5 packs and try a bunch of blades.

Generally blades are blades with the exception of Feathers. Other than Feathers, blades are commodities.

To answer your question, I generally evaluate a ’new’ (to me) blade using a mild/moderate razor with one of my well-known, ‘rotation,’ soaps. The main thing is to try to change only one thing at a time!

I've never used a Rockwell, but if I owned one, I'd start with the mildest plate and work my way up from there. You will find out quickly if the first couple of plates are too mild or inefficient. That, to me, is the fun part of the journey.

Like the razor, there are no "rules" to be followed with blades either...if you aren't having problems with your shaves, use any blade you want to use.

My recommendation on blades is: pick any common, name-brand blade and shave. Most will give you a close and comfortable shave.

Top Bottom