What's new

Quest for less technology

As you may know I have been using no shampoo to wash my hair for about 8-10 months now and I have to say it has been a great move. I just rinse my hair with warm water every time I take a shower. My hair looks and feels healthier for it. It does not feel greasy nor unclean and no bad smells. Now after doing this for a good while I started having issues with dandruff so I did some research and found that apple cider rinse might help so I set out to try it. It is a mixture of 1:10 vinegar to water and I just use it twice a week and rinse it out good and my dandruff is gone! No it does not make your hair smell like vinegar. It is so counterintuitive with no-poo. I used to have problems with really oily hair that left a mess on my pillow to the chagrin of my dear wife, but now with no-poo I do not have that.
This works amazingly well. I have curly/wavy hair so I do have to use a conditioner every day. After a few years of experimentation I've settled on shampooing once a week since the conditioner I use tends to build up, and attracts dust and pollen. However in the winter I can get away with a lot less frequently and often just do an apple cider vinegar rinse instead.

Hmm...so far PurePens seems to be the best pricing for inks, that I have found. So much so that I'm thinking about using inks in the same manner as watercolour paints. The only thing is light fastness after using and diluting with water etc. But then none of my drawings/paintings etc are gonna wind up in the Louvre, so there's that. Just more cool stuff to occupy my time with. Keeps the wife happy when I'm doing anything that doesn't require the saying "hold my beer..."

5f912cf8c7a78a8918b9598158eaefd6.jpg

This works amazingly well. I have curly/wavy hair so I do have to use a conditioner every day. After a few years of experimentation I've settled on shampooing once a week since the conditioner I use tends to build up, and attracts dust and pollen. However in the winter I can get away with a lot less frequently and often just do an apple cider vinegar rinse instead.
That is really cool. If you think about it, shampoo removes all the oil from our hair and conditioner puts some back. This is why our scalp goes into hyperdrive generating oils , if we stop shampooing. When I stopped using shampoo, it took a good three weeks for my scalp to calm down the over oil production. While that is going on....yep you look like you came straight out of "Grease", but it settles. This is much easier to do if you have shorter hair. My dear wife tried to do it, but with her long curly hair she could not stand it.

It is cool that you have been able to shampoo less frequent. Just like with wet shaving this is also a YMMV field. Some can do this and others cannot.

Hmm...so far PurePens seems to be the best pricing for inks, that I have found. So much so that I'm thinking about using inks in the same manner as watercolour paints. The only thing is light fastness after using and diluting with water etc. But then none of my drawings/paintings etc are gonna wind up in the Louvre, so there's that. Just more cool stuff to occupy my time with. Keeps the wife happy when I'm doing anything that doesn't require the saying "hold my beer..."

View attachment 1842233
Pure pens is my favorite place to order inks from. they are very reasonable on shipping costs as well. I used to order from another place in the UK called thewritingdesk, but for some unknown reason they suddenly stopped shipping to US and Canada. They still ship to most other countries in the world, but not US nor Canada. It was a pity because they had even a better selection on inks etc etc. There are come other great places in the UK that you can use as well like Cult Pens, but I find their shipping costs higher.

That is really cool. If you think about it, shampoo removes all the oil from our hair and conditioner puts some back. This is why our scalp goes into hyperdrive generating oils , if we stop shampooing. When I stopped using shampoo, it took a good three weeks for my scalp to calm down the over oil production. While that is going on....yep you look like you came straight out of "Grease", but it settles. This is much easier to do if you have shorter hair. My dear wife tried to do it, but with her long curly hair she could not stand it.

It is cool that you have been able to shampoo less frequent. Just like with wet shaving this is also a YMMV field. Some can do this and others cannot.
I should add, my conditioner I use as a leave-in, if I had shorter hair I could get away with rinsing it (co-wash, it's called) and wouldn't need to shampoo at all, or maybe once a month.

If I take the time to deep condition my hair with coconut oil and braid it up into tiny braids for a day or two to lock it in, I can also get away without using nearly as much product later, but I've found that it also attracts airborne dust and gunk, so I usually don't go to the trouble anymore. Also as my hair as transitioned to more and more gray the curls have relaxed quite a bit so my approach has changed accordingly. The shampoo I use is for curly folks though and it's a lot gentler than most, I use it on my face in the shower as a preshave.

Boris, just got your letter. Thanx pal. Very nice penmanship I might add. I like that 1.5mm Italic nib you used. Hmm I have Lamy pens...
As to sketching I generally do a light pencil sketch and then use my pens. I use waterproof ink if I'm also using watercolour paints. Sometimes I just sketch with the pens and no preliminary pencil works. It's a mood thing.

Oh yeah...just ordered two Lamy nibs, 1.1 and 1.5. going to try them because I really like the way the nib puts ink to paper. Also got more bottles of Diamine ink, 30 ml. Seriously $4 CDN each is cheap. Even with shipping it's still inexpensive.
I have both 1.1mm and 1.5mm Italic nibs and I love them both. You just have to pay attention a bit more with the 1.5mm so that it does not flow together. The 1.1mm italic is a great all around nib.

I am actually thinking of having my Montblanc 146 regrind to a small italic nib when I have it worked on. Just to get a little pizazz to my writing.

You did a Pure Pens order?

Boris, just got your letter. Thanx pal. Very nice penmanship I might add. I like that 1.5mm Italic nib you used. Hmm I have Lamy pens...
As to sketching I generally do a light pencil sketch and then use my pens. I use waterproof ink if I'm also using watercolour paints. Sometimes I just sketch with the pens and no preliminary pencil works. It's a mood thing.
Thank you very much sir. Hopefully it was all readable. Yeah pencil is certainly easier to sketch with incase you mess up. You use several lead hardnesses then or just for outlines?

Oh yeah...just ordered two Lamy nibs, 1.1 and 1.5. going to try them because I really like the way the nib puts ink to paper. Also got more bottles of Diamine ink, 30 ml. Seriously $4 CDN each is cheap. Even with shipping it's still inexpensive.
I have both 1.1mm and 1.5mm Italic nibs and I love them both. You just have to pay attention a bit more with the 1.5mm so that it does not flow together. The 1.1mm italic is a great all around nib.

I ordered some LAMY nibs from Pure Pens, M, Broad, and 1.1, and a Kaweco Classic Sport in a Medium Nib, as well as some Ink. Good thing I'm not in a Fountain Pen GRUME. I know GRUME is a 4 letter word to Huck, even though it is 5. Haha. In lieu of the converter, I just picked up some Kaweco ink cartridges, which I'll use up first and then refill. The Kaweco in Brass is calling my name, I can only imagine what it would look like after some patina buildup. Don't you have a brass fountain pen Don (@huck1680)? How's the patina coming along?

I ordered some LAMY nibs from Pure Pens, M, Broad, and 1.1, and a Kaweco Classic Sport in a Medium Nib, as well as some Ink. Good thing I'm not in a Fountain Pen GRUME. I know GRUME is a 4 letter word to Huck, even though it is 5. Haha. In lieu of the converter, I just picked up some Kaweco ink cartridges, which I'll use up first and then refill. The Kaweco in Brass is calling my name, I can only imagine what it would look like after some patina buildup. Don't you have a brass fountain pen Don (@huck1680)? How's the patina coming along?
Yep the Kaweco brass is a beautiful pen with patina. Great edc pen. Like a tank.

Patina? Up until yesterday. Then I polished it. It's the Traveler's Company Brass pen. It's nice and shiny again...
Boris, yep I ordered from PurePens, nibs and Diamine inks which I'm going to try doing some art washes with. Gotta go the rabbit hole is calling...again.

The fear of missing out is real, and I have to tell myself rationally there's no reason I should seek out expensive, sanctioned, and next-to-impossible to procure blades, given the multitude of options I have already.

I am not a vintage blade nor difficult to get blade guy. Might be fun to try one once in a while, but not as a regular blade.
The hunt can be the fun part which I think is the draw for some folks to vintage razors. I'm done stock piling blades now. By the time I get through my blades, they will be vintage 🤣.

The fear of missing out is real, and I have to tell myself rationally there's no reason I should seek out expensive, sanctioned, and next-to-impossible to procure blades, given the multitude of options I have already.
That’s why I bought 40 years worth of blades in my first year. Haven’t felt the need to buy other blades since then. Sometimes an itch yes, but zero need.
I will spit those up and return to finish those up at a end or just use all 10 in a row.
That’s what I do: I split tucks into 5 blades and then use one at a time…. Haha! No no no my dear Boris! A tuck is a tuck! No deviations for TaaT Cult Leaders :winkiss:

Top Bottom