What's new

Queso

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Queso is a cheese dip. It goes great on nachos or tacos or Ford bumpers or old Goodyear tires. Traditionally around my house it was made with a can of Rotel tomatoes and Velvetta cheese logs. I'm just not happy with that any more. I've seen the beer cheese sauce made on TV and that looks good. Help us out with a recipe that you like but without the canned crap and processed fake cheese.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
We've always done it with Rotel, velveeta, and a pound of ground round.
Then I just started making that jalapeño cream cheese dip and everybody who comes over puts it on everything.
I was TDY in Washington State and those guys and gals even put it on their burgers and dogs!!

Used to use velveeta but now prefer to buy jars of the pre made white queso from the refrigerated section at the store. My mother-in-law makes queso like the recipes above but uses the slices American cheese (like bought in the 5 pound blocks) and I like that better than velveeta.

This sense of "queso" is an abbreviation for queso fundido (by itself, queso means simply cheese).

Note the similarity between the Spanish fundido and the French fondue.

Build a better queso? :blink: Following with interest.

Unless something better pops in the thread, this is/was my queso plan for the game: http://jesspryles.com/queso-recipe/
(Apologies [MENTION=83342]DoctorShavegood[/MENTION] as this fits none of your criteria - but she is from Austin and just check out her recipes page! :w00t: )

Going to throw some chipotles in the pot too, me thinks. :thumbup1:

I dont make my own salsa anymore, so i use pace with totitos queso and nuke it to warm it a bit and im happy

I make a Bechemel (white) sauce, add cheddar and/or Jack cheese. (like for Mac and Cheese) Then I splash in some salsa, a generous grind of black pepper and some fresh diced jalapenos. Adjust heat with hot sauce if necessary.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm cut for time and energy (I'm smoking a brisket and ribs) so I'm going to make a hybrid queso still using some Velvetta and Rotel. I'll be adding cream cheese, a can of cream mushroom, queso quesadilla and grated Mexican cheese blend.

Thanks for the recipe idea @-EdG.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
This sense of "queso" is an abbreviation for queso fundido (by itself, queso means simply cheese).

Note the similarity between the Spanish fundido and the French fondue.

Latin languages - Fondue and Fundido are from the verb meaning to melt. Ah well you probably know that already.

Latin languages - Fondue and Fundido are from the verb meaning to melt. Ah well you probably know that already.

Perhaps my favorite course in college was called "Latin and the Romanic Languages" -- it was all about these common roots and how the various languages evolved.

You can see it to a degree in English too: queso and casein are mighty close in sound!

Are you looking for the stuff you get in Mexican restaurants?

To make that, you can do one of 2 things.

1- white American cheese + milk. Melt.

2 - you can actually buy blocks of the stuff and melt it down. It's usually in the cheese section closer to the produce if your store has that. It will be by the tubs of the already melted Mexican cheese dip.

Whatever you do, do not but the Queso Fresco over in the cheese/dairy section. That is cheese made for crumbling, and will not melt.

Processed cheese is designed to melt smoothly. That's the greatness of it. You could use cream and a bunch of good cheese but it would get expensive quick!!! I just do the ole' rotel trick but add Pico and pre-cooked chorizo to my mix.

Well, here's what went into the pot: :w00t:

$queso ing.jpg

I used Jess Pryles' recipe I linked earlier in the thread, but with a few changes - added the adobo chipotles (processed in blender) for some smokiness, and instead of using spicy pork sausage, I seasoned ground pork with smoked Ghost chilies, black pepper, and minced garlic.
Couldn't figure out if I was supposed to add water to the soup, or use it condensed, so I went halfway with the water and the consistency seems good. Thick, but still nice and creamy!

And here's what came out of the pot:

$queso.jpg

Rich, creamy, hearty, smoky & spicy queso goodness! :thumbup: (and a whole lot of yellow) Pretty pleased with how it turned out, so brought in a bowl for my coworkers to nosh on today. They tend to be reluctant with what I consider hot or not versus what they consider hot or not, so we'll have to see how that goes. :001_rolle

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
IMG_2720[1].JPG
Well, here's what went into the pot: :w00t:

I used Jess Pryles' recipe I linked earlier in the thread, but with a few changes - added the adobo chipotles (processed in blender) for some smokiness, and instead of using spicy pork sausage, I seasoned ground pork with smoked Ghost chilies, black pepper, and minced garlic.
Couldn't figure out if I was supposed to add water to the soup, or use it condensed, so I went halfway with the water and the consistency seems good. Thick, but still nice and creamy!

And here's what came out of the pot:

Rich, creamy, hearty, smoky & spicy queso goodness! :thumbup: (and a whole lot of yellow) Pretty pleased with how it turned out, so brought in a bowl for my coworkers to nosh on today. They tend to be reluctant with what I consider hot or not versus what they consider hot or not, so we'll have to see how that goes. :001_rolle

+1 on Jess Pryles' recipe. I too tweaked a few things. I added grilled serrano and jalapeno peppers. The wife kept asking for me to make it hotter. That's my girl. :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom