What's new

Push Notifications

I'm presuming we are still n XenForo...
According to XenForo community chat in thread
the process would be
Users won't get the push notification popup at the bottom, but they are still able to enable push notifictions from the account menu.
Edit template notice_enable_push and replace everything with just this:

Code:

<xf:js>
jQuery.extend(true, XF.config, {
skipPushNotificationSubscription: true
});
</xf:js>

ETA: Might need to check the formatting in the referenced thread; when I post or save, everything gets left-justified, and I don't think that would be correct.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm presuming we are still n XenForo...
According to XenForo community chat in thread
the process would be

ETA: Might need to check the formatting in the referenced thread; when I post or save, everything gets left-justified, and I don't think that would be correct.
I'll forward this to our IT.
Thank you for this positive response, it's very helpful.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Me too. And even all this fuss I started... I still don't know what a push notification is. Forgive me, I don't get out much.
A push notification is a message or information sent to a device from a site rather than a user seeking to see if information is available.
It's like getting a note that you have an email from someone rather than having to open your email app to check if you have new messages.

A push notification is a message or information sent to a device from a site rather than a user seeking to see if information is available.
It's like getting a note that you have an email from someone rather than having to open your email app to check if you have new messages.
Thank you.

Hi Phil @luvmysuper do you have any idea about why push notifications are not supported all of a sudden?
Thanks.

Did something change with push notifications recently? Within the past week or so it says my device is not supported. I’m using safari on iOS 16.2

B8539089-3579-4FFE-9EBD-D1074D7C3C46.jpeg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hi Phil @luvmysuper do you have any idea about why push notifications are not supported all of a sudden?
Thanks.
We've made no changes here, so there has to be something else causing it.
I am by no means an apple kind of guy, but I will give the same recommendation that others get in that browser cache and cookies can sometimes get corrupted. I would suggest logging out, clearing cache and cookies and try logging back in.
I searched, and Google returns a lot of hits on people using iOS having one issue or another with push notifications.
I do not know if any of those would be helpful or not.

• Web Push Notifications
Apple stated that iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 will introduce opt-in support for web-based push notifications in 2023. It is a heft feature that will allow iPhone and iPad users to receive notifications from websites through Safari, just like notifications that are sent from apps.

and

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
For the longest time apple wouldn’t allow push notifications from websites. This is new I’d they are finally allowing it. Maybe just have to clear history/cache/cookies. Or just wait a little bit further in to 2023.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The pop up nag has been removed.
Nothing has changed except you won't get a reminder that push notifications are not enabled.
If you are not getting push notifications, you will need to go into your settings and enable them.

FWIF my wrk windows computer does allow push notification, but my iPad and iPhone do not, on my iPad I logged out, cleared cache and still nothing but other TheShaveRoom forum actually allows push notifications to work on phone and tablet so it looks like it's a this forum issue.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
FWIF my wrk windows computer does allow push notification, but my iPad and iPhone do not, on my iPad I logged out, cleared cache and still nothing but other TheShaveRoom forum actually allows push notifications to work on phone and tablet so it looks like it's a this forum issue.
Some forums are willing to accept greater risk in order to force some things to "work". B&B is not of that mindset.
A similar condition exists with Imgur, where some sites are allowing proxies to enable its use, though we are not.
Tapatalk also works on some sites as well, but tapatalk has been problematic and doesn't cooperate with sites to enable it to work without security issues, so Tapatalk support was discontinued here as well.
Push Notifications work just fine on non-apple products (Android AND Windows), so it looks like it's an apple device issue.
I would suggest reaching out to Apple to see if they can help you.

Top Bottom