What's new

Proraso - what's the hype?

I'm pretty new to wet shaving but find the Proraso sensitive skin soap that comes in a bowl very nice. It's relatively inexpensive and easily attainable though Amazon. Fast Delivery, pretty inexpensive, no strong scent, and not irritating. It also provides a nice amount of lubrication and lathers easily (even for a noob). What's not to like?

Proraso seems to work best for me when I used their pre shave with the shave soap followed by their after shave lotion. It’s just by the time you’ve bought the three of those you can get Arko or Cella for less. At least here in the states anyways.

I’ve been complaining about my own purchase of Proraso’s product line all week on here lol. I fell for the online hype and purchased the pre-shave, shaving cream in a tube, lathering bowl, brush, alum bar, and aftershave. My counter is so cluttered, it’s ridiculous. I’ve had multiple shaves with it all and none of it adds any value to my shave in the slightest. It wasn’t closer. It wasn’t smoother shaving. There wasn’t less irritation.

I don’t even like the scent. Both the pre-shave and aftershave make my eyes water from the minty-smelling fumes and the alum bar leaves my skin dry and sticky.

I’ll try this ridiculous suite of products for another couple weeks to give them all a fair shot, but I’ll ultimately return to shaving cream in a can (smeared with fingers) and dispense with the other needless products and rituals.

I may try a Nivea balm for sensitive skin after this little fiasco but that’s it.

Limiting this little hobby (if you want to call it that) to trying different razors and the occasional blade sample pack is all one needs if their main driver is performance rather than ritual and fragrance. The rest, in my opinion, is consumer psychology at play.

I’ve been complaining about my own purchase of Proraso’s product line all week on here lol. I fell for the online hype and purchased the pre-shave, shaving cream in a tube, lathering bowl, brush, alum bar, and aftershave. My counter is so cluttered, it’s ridiculous. I’ve had multiple shaves with it all and none of it adds any value to my shave in the slightest. It wasn’t closer. It wasn’t smoother shaving. There wasn’t less irritation.

I don’t even like the scent. Both the pre-shave and aftershave make my eyes water from the minty-smelling fumes and the alum bar leaves my skin dry and sticky.

I’ll try this ridiculous suite of products for another couple weeks to give them all a fair shot, but I’ll ultimately return to shaving cream in a can (smeared with fingers) and dispense with the other needless products and rituals.

I may try a Nivea balm for sensitive skin after this little fiasco but that’s it.

Limiting this little hobby (if you want to call it that) to trying different razors and the occasional blade sample pack is all one needs if their main driver is performance rather than ritual and fragrance. The rest, in my opinion, is consumer psychology at play.
There are better products out there for certain. Proraso isn't my favorite, by a long shot.

Proraso products, as far as the basic creams and soaps go, "work". Are they the very best wetshaving products out there? No, but they do "work" and are reliable.

If someone isn't getting good results from them they are doing something wrong, likely a technique issue.

Should be a lot better than crappy foam/goo in a can that's for sure.

As for alum blocks and pre-shave creams, no one needs that stuff for proper wetshaving. You can use them if you want to but they are not necessary.

Note the "scent" of classic Proraso is mainly Eucalyptus and Menthol, but they do make other scents in recent years. Not everyone can tolerate Eucalyptus and Menthol. If you used too much or got the stuff near your nostrils or eyes by mistake then yeah, it's probably going to cause some irritation. Might be a warning on the package about that.

You want to know why Proraso is so hyped?

In Italy their tubes and bowls of shaving cremes are available on the shelves of every minimarket or grocery store, and they go for €1,50-2,50.

If you have tried them you know that their quality is not artisan-level, but it is unquestionably good. White, Red and Blue are amazing products, and at those prices they are simply impossible to beat.

Proraso preshaves and aftershaves are not as good (I would say Denim makes the best inexpensive Italian aftershaves), but the Proraso boar brush (manufactured by Omega) in another inexpensive and readily available treasure (it goes for €4-6).

I am in the minority here but hear me out.

Two years ago, when I gave DE shaving a go, the Proraso Green and the White were amongst the creams I tried. Neither one impressed me and I gave them away to a friend. Fast forward to today (and after rejoining DE shaving six months ago), I had to revisit Proraso - especially after reading all the positive reviews. I was also convinved my memory served me incorrectly.

So I bought a bunch (all tubes expect the wood and spices). My brother who never tried wanted some so I ordered extra. Upon arrival, I squeezed some of the Green in a bowl and swirled. It's so light and airy that Proraso could do without a brush. Proraso even has a video clip on their website of a guy applying the cream on his face after rubbing it in his hands. Anyway.

I'll skip the shaving details and will go straight to my opinion: from the lather, to the performance to the scent, it felt like an industrial canned gel/foam.

All of which leaves me scratching my head. What is the hype about? Is it the history of the brand, the accessibility of the product, the cheaper cost ($10 here and couple/few € across the pond) in relation to the result it provides, etc?

I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Put more in a bowl....add a bit of water and let it sit there 5min. Use a synthetic brush and agitate....a lot....add more water as needed.

Or put water on your face, smear some and then use a synthetic and keep adding water as needed.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gentlemen, I do consider Proraso as the finest shaving cream in the world and the Gold Standard to which I compare anything else. Today it is much warmer, hence I had to pull out the Ever-Green.

20220617_120211.jpg

The Proraso fever goes on... :001_wub:

Cheers Marco! After taking WAY too long to try the green, I will never be without it in my “den”. I prefer the lather I get from the soap over the cream but, I don’t use the cream that often so that may be a technique thing. I can get a really good lather from all the soaps and creams I own and that includes Proraso. I love the stuff.
Gentlemen, I do consider Proraso as the finest shaving cream in the world and the Gold Standard to which I compare anything else. Today it is much warmer, hence I had to pull out the Ever-Green.

View attachment 1756948

The Proraso fever goes on... :001_wub:

Back to the main topic What's the hype about Proraso? It simply works, delivers great results, allows for seasonal combinations, like the Red+Yellow one on the pic and adds some Italian manliness to our shaving routine...:) Greetings!

Attachments

• 20231202_PR1.jpg
    20231202_PR1.jpg
    963.5 KB · Views: 8
Back to the main topic What's the hype about Proraso? It simply works, delivers great results, allows for seasonal combinations, like the Red+Yellow one on the pic and adds some Italian manliness to our shaving routine...:) Greetings!
That "wood and spice" yellow has been discontinued.
Shame.
I wanted that After Shave Balm.
But, Proraso Red and Green are my favorites.

Top Bottom