What's new

Proraso Revisited - Is Proraso Only For Beginners? NOT Necessarily.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I'm using the canned Proraso. Works better than any tube I've used.
which type??
The Proraso Green in the tube is better than the version in the plastic tub. I think they reformulated it awhile back to take out some of the chemicals people had issues with.

I like the Green aftershave a lot and use it with many other soaps. I got the big 400ml bottle of that along with the big bottle of Floid Vigorosso. You can catch a deal so it's a lot less expensive that way.
proraso was one of the first shaving products I ever purchased, and I still use it. This is all that should be said.
It would probably take me a few decades to finish a 400ml bottle of one aftershave. I have aftershaves that are 15 years old that are not finished yet, 100ml or less bottles.
It has taken me nearly a year to finish a bottle of 400 ml Floid. Will probably last me into the first few months of 2024. Floid the Genuine FTW @Marco
Guido, Proraso Blue is just as great. Performance-wise maybe even slightly better than the Green. My last shaves with the Blue have all been spectacular!
added a blue to my amazon list. i can't wait!!
I wish Proraso made a true Lavender cream and soap, fragranced with pure Lavender Oil. Honestly, I do not understand why they do not do it. Tuscany is famous in Italy for the richness and abundance of Lavender plants. Anyway, should that happen one day, I already know which would be my new favourite.
I would buy the everloving crap out of a lavendar proraso. I have been using lavender cream every morning and it is simply the best scent! MANY homeopathic uses too.
I have the Red and Green tubes in my bathroom and both are getting used regularly at the moment. I have been through a few tubs of Green in the past, but agree that the cream performs better for some reason.

There are products out there that might edge out Proraso in one category of another, but as an all-rounder it really does everything I could ask for. Also, none of the Prorasos cause me a skin reaction, which is obviously important and makes it something I can rely on. I rather find myself looking sideways at folks who claim that it's unusable compared to modern artisan stuff - it tells me I need to take their opinions on other matters with a pinch of salt!

The smell of Proraso Green is an absolute classic to me - instantly evocative of traditional wet shaving!
proraso is really the only brand in existence that has taken a quasi-luxury product, and made it affordable for the masses. molto benne!
To be fully honest, the only colour that has never been my cup of tea is the White. The other three (Green, Blue and Red) are all MARVELLOUS.

And I'm still dreaming of a Proraso Purple, with true Lavender Oil... :001_wub:
i would buy 100 of proraso lavendar purple if it ever became availale, just to have it in reserve!!

@Marco Do you notice a difference between the cream and the soap other than the format?

I don’t know if it’s placebo or not, but sometimes it seems the cream lathers a little more slick, even if you add more than enough water to the soap.

Appreciate your input.

Love the Proraso green preshave. Gives every shaving soap a menthol kick.
In the prorase line up I mostly like the Cypress and vetiver. Absolutely love the smell and skinfeel. Azur Lime and Wood and Spice are the same in performance but the scent profile makes me not like it all the time.
Cypress and Vetiver I could use if it was the only soap on the planet.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
@Marco Do you notice a difference between the cream and the soap other than the format?

I don’t know if it’s placebo or not, but sometimes it seems the cream lathers a little more slick, even if you add more than enough water to the soap.

Appreciate your input.
Sir, they are exactly the same product with a slightly different water content. And to me they perform exactly the same, too. Anyway, I prefer the cream over the soap. But that's only because of the packaging: the Old School metal tube of the cream is way more beautiful than the plastic jar of the soap.

Sir, they are exactly the same product with a slightly different water content. And to me they perform exactly the same, too. Anyway, I prefer the cream over the soap. But that's only because of the packaging: the Old School metal tube of the cream is way more beautiful than the plastic jar of the soap.
Yes, that metal tube screams nostalgia. I hope they never change it to plastic or other material.

I wish they had the yellow foam scent in a cream form. Oh boy I would stock up on that.

Thank you for the feedback sir.

Tuscany is famous in Italy for the richness and abundance of Lavender plants.
Is it? Or are you mistaking Tuscany for Provence? 😁

I was just going to answer that lavender is not a typical Italian scent (even though I have many lavender plants in my own garden). Usually lavender is associated with Southern France or English perfumery... As a matter of fact this morning I have shaved using TOBS Lavender and I sprayed JPG Le Male on my neck (which is also lavender-based)

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Here in Italy this is the coldest week of the year so far, with icy winds hitting the entire peninsula. Given the extreme weather conditions, I cannot help but still continue using Proraso Red... :001_wub:

PRIMADOPO_SET_400365.jpg

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Is it? Or are you mistaking Tuscany for Provence? 😁

I was just going to answer that lavender is not a typical Italian scent (even though I have many lavender plants in my own garden). Usually lavender is associated with Southern France or English perfumery... As a matter of fact this morning I have shaved using TOBS Lavender and I sprayed JPG Le Male on my neck (which is also lavender-based)
I believe the french stole the lavendar from the italians.

On occasion I used the cream for sensitive skin, Oatmeal and Green Tea. It lathers really well and scent is very pleasant. Every time I use it I say I should be using it more often, but I don't. I think if I had the soap variety it would get more use. None-the-less, I still enjoy the heck out of the cream when I do use it.

People recommend the Proraso soap to beginners because it's a great soap and easy to lather. When are considered to be a veteran shaver? I have been DE shaving since 2012 and I love Proraso shaving creams. I heard that even professional barbers in Italy use Proraso.

My tubed shave cream purchase was C.O. Bigelow. To my understanding it’s repackaged Proraso green.

Went though a couple of big tubes of it and was getting great shaves.

But then the Artesian soaps started coming out and I got into that for a while.

Then a couple of years ago. I decided to give the Proraso red cream a try. What a great scent!! Had to buy the aftershave to pair up with it right away. I never seem to get tired of my Proraso red shaves and when I use up what I have, it will be getting replaced. Even though I have enough soaps to last me 10+ years easily.

A couple of summers ago. I realized that I missed that eucalyptus scent of C.O. Bigelow and purchased a tub of Proraso green soap. My first shave with it turned out just about as well as any of the other soaps/creams that I’ve used over the years.

While I have no problem using Proraso soap or cream. I kinda like using the tubed cream, just a little better. It may go into the dopp bag over the shave sticks that I have been taking in the past.

Over the years on the shave forums. I have heard more than a few experienced shavers say. That all they need is Proraso or if I only knew now, what I didn’t realize back then. I would have just been shaving with Proraso.

It’s a really good product for beginners or experienced shavers. That’s why it’s been around for so long and still remains popular.

My tubed shave cream purchase was C.O. Bigelow. To my understanding it’s repackaged Proraso green.

Went though a couple of big tubes of it and was getting great shaves.

But then the Artesian soaps started coming out and I got into that for a while.

Then a couple of years ago. I decided to give the Proraso red cream a try. What a great scent!! Had to buy the aftershave to pair up with it right away. I never seem to get tired of my Proraso red shaves and when I use up what I have, it will be getting replaced. Even though I have enough soaps to last me 10+ years easily.

A couple of summers ago. I realized that I missed that eucalyptus scent of C.O. Bigelow and purchased a tub of Proraso green soap. My first shave with it turned out just about as well as any of the other soaps/creams that I’ve used over the years.

While I have no problem using Proraso soap or cream. I kinda like using the tubed cream, just a little better. It may go into the dopp bag over the shave sticks that I have been taking in the past.

Over the years on the shave forums. I have heard more than a few experienced shavers say. That all they need is Proraso or if I only knew now, what I didn’t realize back then. I would have just been shaving with Proraso.

It’s a really good product for beginners or experienced shavers. That’s why it’s been around for so long and still remains popular.
I agree. I started with it as many have, and moved on to artisan soap. I didn't know then how to get the most out of it by properly hydrating the soap. Now after leaning how to make a good lather, I think Proraso holds its own. I love the green and blue tunes, and I too prefer the tunes to the tubs. I love the Green AS and it will always be a staple in my den. The sandlewood red does t agree with me. But, still preforms well.

I love the Green AS and it will always be a staple in my den.
I have a small bottle of the green aftershave. I went with the small bottle bottle as I’d heard the green aftershave doesn’t match the scent of the green soap/cream.

At first I was kinda disappointed with the scent. But I liked the way it performed. After another 6 times or so of using it. I started liking it more and more.

I now like it enough that when I finish off my small bottle. I’ll replace it with the barbershop size bottle.

I believe the french stole the lavendar from the italians.
Well, my mother loves to garden annually and plant small lavender seedlings. I k ow a bit about this when I did research for her as to what to plant in the Spring of one year: she planted Mint (of which, by the way, Lavender is within the overall genus, or would that be species? Anyway.) and Lavender.

There are many varieties of “Lavender” these days. The hardy one that tends to survive the winter (and the Mint variety sure does, and spreads fast!) is English Lavender (read up on it and you’ll come across “Zone 5 or warmer”, but there are other factors, and I believe Dutch Lavender is more commercial because of larger flowers, and maybe more hardy? Likely affects smell for those with superior olfactory abilities. 👀👃🏼

FRENCH Lavender, I think, came before English Lavender. 🧐

Further off topic: very interesting section of the recent Coco Chanel book on how she practically monopolized a kind of lavender growing near her factory making her legendary perfume. 🧚🏼

Cheers.

Well, my mother loves to garden annually and plant small lavender seedlings. I k ow a bit about this when I did research for her as to what to plant in the Spring of one year: she planted Mint (of which, by the way, Lavender is within the overall genus, or would that be species? Anyway.) and Lavender.

There are many varieties of “Lavender” these days. The hardy one that tends to survive the winter (and the Mint variety sure does, and spreads fast!) is English Lavender (read up on it and you’ll come across “Zone 5 or warmer”, but there are other factors, and I believe Dutch Lavender is more commercial because of larger flowers, and maybe more hardy? Likely affects smell for those with superior olfactory abilities. 👀👃🏼

FRENCH Lavender, I think, came before English Lavender. 🧐

Further off topic: very interesting section of the recent Coco Chanel book on how she practically monopolized a kind of lavender growing near her factory making her legendary perfume. 🧚🏼

Cheers.

8 types of species in Italy, I would say that lavender is a Euro-Mediterranean species rather than an English one
In France in the Alpine area on the border with Italy

Last edited:
Top Bottom