What's new

Poll: How do you like your tobacco chamber?

What shape of tobacco chamber do you prefer?

• V shaped chamber, wide at the top and narrow at the bottom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • U shaped chamber, same width top and bottom

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • No preference

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Depends on the shape

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
I would really like to know how you prefer your tobacco chamber. V shaped - wide at the top and narrow at the bottom, or U shaped - having the same width at the top and bottom? Or maybe you don't mind either way? Obviously sometimes it is shape dependant, such a a Bulldog or Cutty. It would also be helpful to me if you have a favourite chamber diameter. Please take a moment to take my poll and leave a comment if you want to expand on your preference. Thanks!

BTW, my favourite is U shape, 3/4 diameter

I'm of the "doesn't really matter" camp, but I suppose it is somewhat shape dependent. I smoke a lot of flake, so most of my pipes tend to be around 3/4" diameter.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I typically like a U-shaped 3/4 chamber, but I also checked "depends on shape". I do like pots for Englishes, usually 7/8 or even 15/16, and those are typically U-shaped. I also like a tapered bowl--I have a few pipes where the chambers were drilled/carved freehand and they have tapering sides but end in a "U" rather than a "V"--these smoke very well too and help eliminate the problem of unburned edges that you can have in a larger pot. A good example of this drilling is the bowls for Kirsten pipes--they're moderately tapered, but not V-shaped.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Don't know that I've ever seen a truly V shaped chamber, but I picked U/depends. I generally like medium sized bowls as offered by most cobs, I suppose. Although I have a few largish pots in briar, I seldom smoke them.

To clarify, the V shape still has a rounded bottom and not a sharp point. I'll take some photos of my drill bits to further clarify...but that will have to wait until tomorrow...

No preference. I honestly don't pay attention to it when I'm buying a pipe. I mean, I'll adjust blends accordingly if it's a V-shaped, but it's really low on my list of concerns.

To clarify, the V shape still has a rounded bottom and not a sharp point. I'll take some photos of my drill bits to further clarify...but that will have to wait until tomorrow...
Or anyone who has the 2016 LE can look down the bore. :laugh:

(But we'd all like to get a look at your drill bits. And the rest of your shop at some point. Pretty please?)

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
No preference. My palate isn't refined enough to notice any difference, no matter what I'm smoking. I do tend to smoke hot, though, so I'd like it if more bulldogs had V-chambers, to put a little more meat in the bottom.

Have not been smoking that long to know...

However this is a good place to ask, my Jobert pipe is very narrow and deep, relights are hard towards the end. Any advice?

I generally prefer a U-shaped bowl, but voted "Depends". I expect a certain chamber shape based on the pipe shape. For instance I would be surprised to find that a pot shaped pipe had a conical "V" chamber...

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
It does't matter as long as the draft hole intersects the chamber at the bottom of the heal. I feel like I have seen more V shaped chambers where the draft hole intersects high, or off-center, which I am sure is due to the smaller diameter at the heal.

Top Bottom