What's new

Pocket Pistol

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I am going to get a pocket pistol in .380 for the days when even Bigfoot has trouble concealing a gun.

I am narrowed down to the Glock 42 and Kimber Micro. I like them both so it's a tough decision. I own Glocks I have never owned a Kimber.

Thoughts?

Seecamp in 380 (full stainless steel, inside and out)

L.W. Seecamp Co. - Pistol Specs & MSRP

DA only with a hammer so not as spooky as a sear based Baby.

LOTS of reviews out there on it as it has been around for a while now.

It's the size of a Baby Browning 25 but in 380.

proxy.php

I've got two 380 pocket pistols, the Glock and the Kahr P380. The Kahr is truly a pocket pistol, while the Glock G-42 IIRC, is a bit larger. I probably carry the Kahr more often because of the convenience (small size) but the Glock is more accurate and ergonomically better for my hand because of the slightly larger size. So it is a trade off. As for the Kimber, I saw one at the LGS and thought it was really beautiful, but then I read reviews that caused me to decide against it. A lot of people have problems with reliability with the Kimber. YMMV.

Well...I guess the hard and fast decision would be influenced by "how" you plan on carrying it. Actually toting a cocked/locked pistol in a pocket I perceive as a tad problematic. Pocket carry would (to me) steer me toward the Glock.
If you are gonna utilize some sort of waistband carry, either would be alright I suppose. From a cost/reliability standpoint, I'd still go Glock.
I do not care for pocket carry at all. On those rare occasions I do so, I go to a Ruger LCP II or S&W 442 Hammerless J-frame.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
When I say pocket it is more a size reference. I would carry IWB but want a tshirt to conceal it. I am not a big fan of pocket holsters.

I will check out the Seacamp Mick.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If it's IWB it's tough to beat my little LCR in .357 loaded with .38 special...... So why am I drooling over a Kimber in .380? They are so purdy! And my wife wants one. But I've looked at the Seacamp and may very well go that route for her, if she likes it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
As mentioned many times before, I'm not a fan of true pocket carry, but if one were to do so, it would be prudent to carry something without external levers or exposed hammer, any 1911 micro variant would be a poor choice IMHO. For true pocket carry, the Seecamp would be hard to beat, followed by the Kahr. I would much prefer (and often carry) a J frame S&W with a Barrami Hip Grip and a Tyler T adapter or the above mentioned Desantis Clip Grip, which is essentially an updated version of the BHG+TT.

Those Kimbers are very pretty guns.

I too, have heard they are finicky with ammo.

I have a ruger lcp. It's not so pretty looking, but pretty functional. Don't carry that often, but when I do its that in a pocket.
The revolvers posted are nice looking too. The glock. 380 is a little big, if you're at that size, you might as well go up to the next one in 9mm.

Well...I guess the hard and fast decision would be influenced by "how" you plan on carrying it. Actually toting a cocked/locked pistol in a pocket I perceive as a tad problematic. Pocket carry would (to me) steer me toward the Glock.
If you are gonna utilize some sort of waistband carry, either would be alright I suppose. From a cost/reliability standpoint, I'd still go Glock.
I do not care for pocket carry at all. On those rare occasions I do so, I go to a Ruger LCP II or S&W 442 Hammerless J-frame.

You do know the Glock is carried cocked?

To the OP: I don't like Glocks, I am very much a 1911 and revolver guy, but off the two choices you have the Glock would be my choice. Small 1911s tend to have malfunction issues unless you have a solid grip. Any mishandling and some momentum is robbed from the slide. The exposed hammer in a pocket is an attractant for a lint ball. Glocks, even the smallest, tend to be more tolerant of mishandling.

My personal pocket rocket is the LCP. Only when wearing shorts and t-shirt, otherwise a Model 60 or 1911 goes along for the ride.

IMG_4592.JPG
Pretty much most (if not all) stiker action pistols are "cocked" when a round is chambered I believe. What I don't like is the hammer hanging back dangling out there in the breeze when a pistol is being carried around in a closed up and confined pocket.
I have a Ruger 1911 and Browning Hi Power I often carry, cocked of course. They are near always carried in an OWB holster though where no lint or clumsy fingers are gonna present a problem.

For sure those issues are minimal with Glocks or S&W J-frames. This 640 will handle pretty much any situation and is carried effortlessly.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0923.JPG
IMG_4363.JPG
Other choices in the pocket pistol camp are plentiful....the Ruger LCP II and Beretta Pico (both in .380) are favorites in these parts. Realize of course these are NOT my choice for a no-kidding defensive weapon. They are very limited in their application

Even though improvements in .380 ammunition have been made, 9mm would be my minimum for self-defense. My carry weapon is a Glock 26 IWB. Sometimes when I have to go out for the dog to do his duty, I carry my Glock in a Field Jacket pocket.

I looked at a Kimber micro, then a Sig P238 and was sold, the Sig seems so much tighter and better made. I also got the sister model P938 which is a 9mm. I have not had any problem concealing either in my pocket. The 938 is roughly 1-2" longer and has a slightly wider( front to back) grip size, but all in all is insignificant for pocket carry. I got both a Red Dog Gunleather wallet holster, and a Kramer pocket holster specifically for the 938 and the smaller 238 fits fine. The Red Dog holster actually has a flap that folds over the grip so that if it does show it only appears as a large wallet or possibly a notepad holder peeking out of my pocket. With both guns I got Sig's SAS version, which means Sig anti snag, the slide front and back having rounded edges and corners which make it easier to holster and aslo no sharp edges to help make it conceal better. Like the Kimber, if you are going to carry, it should be with a round chambered, the hammer cocked and safety on. I cannot speak for the Kimber but with the Sig, the safety actually cams the hammer back just a little, disengaging it from the sear, which makes it a bit on the stiff side, which I think is best for pocket carry. The Sig safety also allows for the slide to be "racked" when applied, which allows for more safety when chambering a round or clearing a round from the chamber.

Someone mentioned a S&W 340, the hammerless double action only model. I have a S&W 342 their titanium lite, which has a scandium alloy frame, titanium cylinder, the only steel parts being the internal workings and a thin barrel liner. That makes it so light that it hurts to shoot even with very mild 38 special target loads. They are also a bit larger and more difficult to conceal. I had one in a Kramer pocket holster the day my wife and I worked the local Republican headquarters on election day, and she commenter that it was rather visible several times. She has never noticed the little Sig pistols and I have been carrying them constantly for the last couple of months.

Pocket carry is not the cleanest place to carry any firearm, lint and some dirt. The 1911 format of the Kimber and Sig pistols allow for easier takedown for cleaning. The little S&W revolver, is a bit more difficult to clean. You must remove the grips, then a couple of screws holding the sideplate on, then tap to loosen and remove it to get to the internals. I will say it should stay clean much longer, the only place dirt and lint can get in are through the bottom of the frame where the trigger fits in, the little pawl(lever) that rotates the cylinder, and possibly the firing pin hole.

I like the small semi auto for pocket carry as they are much thinner and do not make as much of a bulge in the pocket, and give me 7 round capacity vs 5 for the little J frame revolvers.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Glocks are actually carried half-cocked or 3/4 cocked...I forget what percentage, but pulling the trigger pulls back the firing pin a bit more.

A lot of the replies seem to be based on Bigfoot's actually looking for a "pocket" pistol. I think he said this was only for a size reference. He was planning an IWB carry. Anyway, take a look at Walther. I have the PPS M2 in 9mm but they have the PK380 which looks even more compact. Walther has been making small pistols for a long time; I think they know what they're doing. I have 4 Walther handguns in my stable.

Don

Top Bottom