What's new

Plisson vs S-Brush vs Boar: as comprehensive as I can get

A few quick disclaimers:
Firstly, apologies for yet another thread belaboring this topic. The S-Brush has gotten a lot of traction on YouTube and is drawing a lot of attention and questions, so I figured I'd try to drop a comprehensive thread that addresses some important comparisons (at least from my perspective). Perhaps it will make information easier to find for those curious.

Secondly, some background on said perspective (because that stuff matters). I'm more of a boar guy, and I've only really dabbled with synthetics out of curiosity and for speedy shaves, such as travel situations. I have not used any of the other popular synthetic brushes, such as a the Muhles, EJs, Grooming Co., WD, or what have you. My current 3-brush rotation is a Semogue 620, an Omega 10065, and a Whipped Dog 24/45 Silvertip, and I don't suspect that will change anytime soon. Just figured I'd shed some light on my personal preferences and experience. As you may well have guessed, I am a face latherer through & through.

Lastly, the S-Brush pictured and discussed is the S-10065. I also have the S-10077 in my travel kit, and that brush performs almost exactly the same. I can't make an official declaration, but it's probably safe to assume that the all of the standard sized (non-Pro) S-Brushes perform on a very similar level.

Onto the brushes...

Let me start out by saying that all 3 of these brushes whip up a great lather. To any new wet shavers out there: all of the threads that weigh the pros and cons of the various synthetic brushes out there today are very nitpicky. I'm not saying that as a bad thing, but only to inform you that if you are simply looking for a tool to get the job done, then there is a very slim chance that you will be disappointed with any of the options out there.

I consider the boar 10065 to be one of the simplest and most reliable face lathering tools on the market. Not only does it perform, but it's a brush that so many new wet shavers start out with due it's price point, availability, and reputation. However, I honestly believe that the S-Brush can join it as the one of the most popular starter brushes (regardless of material) out there today. You get a very comparable performance, much softer and face-friendly tips than a typical boar brush, and a new wet shaver doesn't have to wrap their head around soaking the brush before use -- just get it wet and go -- all for around $10.

The Plisson was my first real synthetic brush, and I honestly only picked one up because of my curiosity regarding its popularity. At $30, the seemingly extinct L'Occitane version of this brush was a very respectable bang-for-the-buck. It may not be dense or stiff enough for some to face lather with, but I was able to get the job done just fine, and anyone who keeps up with SOTD pics and YouTube videos can see that many others can face lather with it as well. That being said, the luxurious softness of the Plisson does compromise other aspects that I typically enjoy from a brush. While the brush magically creates oceans of lather (a trait that very few have ever denied), it doesn't have the backbone to paint that lather around my face as thin as I personally prefer. Also, I did miss the feel of some resistance against my face during the lather buildup. It has a touch of backbone and spring, but it's miles away from the word "scrub".

The S-Brush strikes a balance. You get those soft synthetic tips, backbone that's comparable to the boar counterparts, great lather production, and the no-soak/quick-dry traits that make synthetics handy. Honestly, the brush is nothing to write home about, with the exception of 1 thing that makes it stand out to so many people: it's wicked cheap! I'd go as far as to say that the Omega S-Brush is to synthetics, as Whipped Dog is to Silvertip. $10 vs $30/$40/$50/$60??? Why not? That's what has people so interested at the moment. And you may even find that you prefer its characteristics to the more pricey synthetics. The risk could not be lower, because even if you decide to pursue a higher-end synthetic brush, the S-Brush is perfect for travel or even passing on to new wet shavers.

For those of you looking for a first synthetic brush, I honestly don't see a reason to break the bank right off the bat. You'll probably hear people call the S-Brush "scritchy" or "scrubby", but I only agree with that when comparing it to a brush like the Plisson (which is so soft you can hardly feel it). I feel as though that's an important distinction, because if you're coming from boar brushes there's like a 90% chance you'll find the S-Brush feels softer on your face. I really believe that it's designed well enough to give you a good idea of what modern synthetic brushes are all about in terms of capabilities. There's enough differences from the boar brushes to make you think "hmmm... maybe it is worth $50 to try one of the other synthetics out there"... But, it's not the $3 Chinese synthetic from eBay that will sour you on synthetic knots.

For those of you who have already dabbled with a variety of synthetics, I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know/suspect. The S-Brush is gaining popularity because it seems to have filled a void in the marketplace. The gap between the Plisson's softness and a boar's backbone usually triggers mention of $40+ synthetics with more backbone than the Plisson. I don't have the experience with those brushes to have a stance one way or another, but I can tell you for sure that the S-Brush also occupies that space on some level. It's a product worth getting to know even if it won't unseat your favorite synthetic, because at the very least you won't cry over forgetting an $8 brush in the hotel bathroom. There's no harm in tacking one on to your order if you're only a few bucks short of the free shipping minimum of your chosen vendor. Chances are you'll be able to share even more insightful reviews than myself, because my experience with synthetic brushes will probably not go beyond this point.

Attachments

• $IMG_4804.jpg
    $IMG_4804.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 449
  • $IMG_4803.jpg
    $IMG_4803.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 449
  • $IMG_4801.jpg
    $IMG_4801.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 451
Nice comparison and pictures.

I dislike the word "scrubby" and I like to think in terms of backbone (strong to weak) and softness of tips (scratchy to soft).

For the S-Brush, are the tips scratchy at all, as soft as the Plisson, or somewhere in between? I know the Plisson will feel softest because it has both soft tips and backbone, but if you brush the tips across your skin, are they similar or is there a difference?

When you're just caressing the tips with your hand, I'd say the two are close with the Plisson feeling softer. When splayed against your face, you'll feel some more scratch from the S-Brush. Again, this is in comparison to the Plisson, which feels like you're lathering with a 2 week old kitten. The S-Brush is not rough or prickly when compared to boar brushes, and feels quite soft to my face.

The wording for these things is so tricky. Someone needs to work on a dictionary or some scientific way to measure "scritch vs scratch"

Great comparison. I'm looking forward to trying the latest generation on Whipped Dog synthetics, which should be in my hands today. I really do like the Plsson, though, and not just for its softness: I'm amazed how much lather is produces, and how easily.

I've got the Omega 0146230 - Hi-Brush - "The Satin Synhive" and it was over 24 bucks at IB and only used it once, didnt care for the tips feeling on my face & went back to 10049 Omega Boar brush. Bought it mainly to have a synthetic to go along with my boars & badger brushes... I do love the handle on it and might be the only difference in it and the S-brush other than dying the the brush to look like badger. At this point i should have bought the S and saved 15 dollars.

How does the S-Brush compare to the Syntex? I just gave up on the Syntex because it gives me "wind-burn" dermatitis to use it as a daily brush. I need something softer... not necessarily as soft as a feather but something more like a pure badger at the least.

Thanks for the fantastic write up! Is it possible for you to add your WD Silvertip to this review? How do you rate the softness and backbone of your Plisson to it and how does the Omega fair in comparison?

Thanks for the fantastic write up! Is it possible for you to add your WD Silvertip to this review? How do you rate the softness and backbone of your Plisson to it and how does the Omega fair in comparison?

The WD is softer and has more pleasant tips than my boar brushes, but synthetic tips are just super duper soft to the touch. The Plisson is so soft that it made me wonder if I had nerve damage in my hands the first time I touched it. The WD makes a great lather, but the Plisson wins in that category as well -- TONS of lather from that brush.

The Omega is still very soft, and feels softer on the face than the WD, but it's worth noting that I have a very short and stiff WD. One thing where the Omega falls in 3rd place is water retention. It's not terrible or anything, but the WD and Plisson seem to hand into more water... This just isn't a category I care about too much, because I always add water very gradually.

I'd haven't noticed much different in lather quantity or quality between the WD/S-Brush. They both to quite well for themselves. Honestly, I need to get a WD with a more medium loft, because the stubby version can be a little weird to paint with, and that makes it very different from the Omegas and Plissons out there.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Great review OP. I shaved for the first time yesterday with my brand new Omega S-10077 with the black/blue handle. Just as you said, it won't knock my Plisson off the top rung, but for it's price, it is a great synthetic brush.

Great review, many thanks!
I agree with you and even I have some of the best badgers around these are my favorites so far...

The WD is softer and has more pleasant tips than my boar brushes, but synthetic tips are just super duper soft to the touch. The Plisson is so soft that it made me wonder if I had nerve damage in my hands the first time I touched it. The WD makes a great lather, but the Plisson wins in that category as well -- TONS of lather from that brush.

The Omega is still very soft, and feels softer on the face than the WD, but it's worth noting that I have a very short and stiff WD. One thing where the Omega falls in 3rd place is water retention. It's not terrible or anything, but the WD and Plisson seem to hand into more water... This just isn't a category I care about too much, because I always add water very gradually.

I'd haven't noticed much different in lather quantity or quality between the WD/S-Brush. They both to quite well for themselves. Honestly, I need to get a WD with a more medium loft, because the stubby version can be a little weird to paint with, and that makes it very different from the Omegas and Plissons out there.

Thank you!

Wonder if that would make it rinse clean of soap & dry a little faster than the others that retain more water?

Wonder if that would make it rinse clean of soap & dry a little faster than the others that retain more water?

Perhaps it's possible, but all synthetics dry so quickly that I hardly notice the difference. The S-Brush requires a couple extra dips into the water to get the lather where I typically prefer, and it dribbles out a bit more water onto my face if I try to start with a heavily soaked brush. Personally this doesn't bother me because I tend to start on the drier side.

Ok thanks, yeah I bowl lather exclusively so the dripping shouldn't be a problem. Only whether the easier rinsing/no soaking I want is worth its potential performance trade off coming from an omega 11137 boar, which does work great. Looks like they're pretty close to the same size, and the s10065 is cheap enough, little risk to try.

Just don't want it if I find it takes much longer to lather or feels prickly, poking my skin, too floppy or something comparatively.

Ok thanks, yeah I bowl lather exclusively so the dripping shouldn't be a problem. Only whether the easier rinsing/no soaking I want is worth its potential performance trade off coming from an omega 11137 boar, which does work great. Looks like they're pretty close to the same size, and the s10065 is cheap enough, little risk to try.

Just don't want it if I find it takes much longer to lather or feels prickly, poking my skin, too floppy or something comparatively.

I think it would work in a bowl. It's certainly got more loft than the stubby brushes in my den (Semogue 620 and Whipped Dog Silvertip). The Plisson might have a better shape for bowl lathering, but as you said it's worth trying the S-Brush first since it's so cheap.

I'm going to be tacking on to this thread very soon.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432490249.124531.jpg

On the way from Whipped Dog: a 22x55 Synthetic, and a 24x50 Silvertip (replacing my 24x45 Silvertip which continuously shed).

I have since parted ways with the Plisson, but after about 30 shaves and many test lathers, I got to know it quite well.

Top Bottom