What's new

Please recommend a good non-drying soap

Neutrogena has just put out a new product that is really a "shower oil." It doesn't lather really well and it doesn't smell really nice, but if you want to clean your body without drying it out, this is THE BEST thing out there.

You can find it at any drugstore.

Hi everyone, I've been away from B&B for a while, but thanks for all your responses! :biggrin:

I've recently purchased some olive oil soaps from my local chemist:

There seem to be loads of "cube" soaps on the net claiming to be Savon de Marseille, yet they all look slightly different. The link above is the closest I could find in appearance to the one I have. Mine had a clear wrapper with no ingredients listed, and cost £2.99 for 600g.

Anyway, it seems that the big cube is quite drying. I assumed it was a pure olive oil soap, yet if it is the one linked to above, seems to have other ingredients including coconut oil. It certainly foams more than the others.

The Oliva soap is very nice, and doesn't dry me as much as the Savon. This cost 89p and seems to be widely available in health food shops over here.

The other soap, Sinyanna, is really nice. It's much smaller, and cost £2.50. It is the nicest smelling of the three. The ingredients on the packaging are: Olive oil, Sodium Olivate, Aqua, but yet on the website above it says it contains milk, Dead Sea mud, and honey. It does smell a bit sweeter that the others and leaves a stickyness on the hands after drying which does go away after a few minutes.

Anyway, it's interesting to see the differences between all three! All soaps are certainly not created equal.

John

Last edited:
the everyman jack bar soaps at target are good. they have cedarwood, mint, and a citrus bar that exfoliates. plus theyre only 3 for $5

SPAMMER ALERT!!!!!

Dropping this address in a BUNCH of different threads

Actually, with the address obfuscation going on in that link, there might even be something more malicious going on here... I would HIGHLY recommend that you do NOT follow that link... And if you have, you might want to do a virus scan.

I have tried a bunch of shower soaps, gels, lotions, whatever, and I have settled on good old Kirk's Castile soap. Cleans well, does not dry out my skin (I tend do have oily skin) and it has a pleasant, clean scent that does not last long.

It's also cheap, so it hits on all of my requirements.

+1
Only problem with Kirk's castile soap is that it does not last long....but it is very cheap, my local health food store sells them for $1.25
A great soap and non-drying soap

I like the Caswell Massey soaps. The shave soap is horrible, but the bath soaps are top notch in my book.

I just used DR Harris Arlington Bath Soap for the first time tonight. Smells great, but can't comment on it any further after only one use.

+1
Only problem with Kirk's castile soap is that it does not last long....but it is very cheap, my local health food store sells them for $1.25
A great soap and non-drying soap

That's a big problem with olive oil based soaps, they tend to not last very long. IMO, on the other hand soaps with cocoa butter tend to be hard and last long.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Don't know if Jergens is available in the UK and it's getting harder to find here but it works well for me,YMMV!

Last edited:
Trying the Yardley of London line of soaps ... so far so good without any drying effects at all. Besides ... at a buck a bar at most dollar stores and even Wally World ... it's cheap.

Trying the Yardley of London line of soaps ... so far so good without any drying effects at all. Besides ... at a buck a bar at most dollar stores and even Wally World ... it's cheap.

I am almost a week into my first bar, and its lasting as long or longer than Dove sensative, but my skin feels better and less dry. For $1/bar, its unbeatable, IMO.

Those soaps look really nice, but when i went to buy some, shipping was calculated at $84.67 for a single 300gm bar. I'm guessing this means they don't ship overseas... is there anywhere else i can buy them?

I'm fairly certain I've seen that brand on Amazon.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Cetaphil is my daily moisturizer and semi-daily face wash.
cfriend:
+ 1 and my dermatologist reconmended it to me in 2007 for my dry and sensitive skin. I use it in the shower and as a twice daily face wash, plus I'm totally satisfied with the great results. :thumbup:

Christopher
proxy.php
"Everyone who's ever taken a shower has an idea. It's the person who gets out of the shower, dries off and does something about it who makes a difference". Nolan Bushnell

Attachments

• $soap.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 1,672
Top Bottom