What's new

Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum....

Your home base is Gainsville Florida correct? You flew from Gainsville to Atlanta, then to Orlando, then to Minneapolis... It would make for an interesting flow chart. Here's to a great trip despite an "interesting" start.
Yeah, I mean who wants a direct flight to anywhere anymore? Where's the fun and adventure in that? It's like you have zero control over anything and have to rely on people who may or may not give a damn.
However, really glad you found the guy who got you sorted out and on your way. Enjoy the trip!

tumblr_b5bd6f8365f30316c5832685006189e5_f31d8cf4_540.gif

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We are safely in Bali. I took a few photos of the room, but they are more interesting to us than anyone else. It was night when we got to our place here, but I’ll get some more interesting ones shot tomorrow.

This is the nicest place we’ve ever stayed and not just in Bali. But for here, it already has real high speed internet, scalding hot water, no mosquitoes comfortable chairs on the balcony. And this just after a couple hours of being here. The lighted path to the wing/building was beautiful.

Now, after leaving our house at 2PM Eastern time on Wednesday, it’s now 1:07AM on Sunday morning. I’m a bit tired. <eg>

We are safely in Bali. I took a few photos of the room, but they are more interesting to us than anyone else. It was night when we got to our place here, but I’ll get some more interesting ones shot tomorrow.

This is the nicest place we’ve ever stayed and not just in Bali. But for here, it already has real high speed internet, scalding hot water, no mosquitoes comfortable chairs on the balcony. And this just after a couple hours of being here. The lighted path to the wing/building was beautiful.

Now, after leaving our house at 2PM Eastern time on Wednesday, it’s now 1:07AM on Sunday morning. I’m a bit tired. <eg>
Glad you made it safely.
Hms

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I always knew you were a day ahead of me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
First shave in Bali... around 4:00PM Sunday... give or take.....

Wonderful shave with my La Faulx Classic SS and Claymore Evolution around my nose... both loaded with Kai Protouch MG blades.

The Cremo did like it did the first time.... It isn't special but it is slick enough and not bad to use brushless. I did use the Tube 2.0 along with it...

My usual 4 pass shave and post shave treatments.

I'll get some Bali photos posted later but here is the gear for today:

RS_2_25_2024 SOTD.jpg

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I forgot to post the last trip info.... Yes, we started in Gainesville.. flew to Atlanta...We all boarded the plane enroute to Amsterdam.... waited about an hour and a half on the plane... then the captain said... We have been trying to start the right engine to no avail...Please de-board the aircraft and we'll power it down completely and try to start it up.... They were successful in doing that... so we reboarded after an hour and a half maybe but they were unable to get it started again.

So... off we came.... then the scurry to find a hotel room. They provided vouchers but gave us directions to the ticketing area that was closed to reschedule our flights... ooops... So, we were one of just a handful who figured out the way to get the hotel vouchers to work. I'm not sure why but in any event, we finally got to the hotel around 2:30AM... and I spent the next 2.5 hours trying to get booked on any flights available but our booking agent and the airlines were just pointing fingers at each other.... Just before 5, I had to meet a Door Dash driver to get some deodorant as we had packed ours in our checked in bags. LOL.... We would have been fine had we not had an extra day of travel. When I met the driver in the lobby, there were at least 20 people just checking from our canceled flight. My wife talked to one lady... she said they all hung around the airport, hoping KLM would help them get new flights... but closed is closed...

Long story short: we skipped breakfast and headed to the Atlanta airport early.... Delta is partnered with KLM Royal Dutch Airlines and a guy at their ticketing counter kindly worked with us..... the Minnesota trip was suggested by our booking agent but I declined that one... So the Delta guy came up with a flight to LA....That's Los Angeles.... then Melbourne, Australia... to Bali... that would have been hours and hours extra travel time. He made a couple more phone calls and found us a way to fly back to Florida.... to Orlando... then from Orlando to Amsterdam.. and finally, take the same flight.. a day later, to Bali...

We had a great time at the Amsterdam airport... such nice people there. We hung around the KLM lounge for a few hours, rented a couple of sleep pods for 5 hours and got some sleep... Then hung around and had coffee and some food before heading off here to Bali.

It could have been much worse. One day late.... with full flights. I told the Delta guy he was a miracle worker and thanked him profusely.

The rest of the trip was uneventful.

Mr. Shavington

Knows Hot Turkish Toilets
It sounds like there’s still a lot of difficulty re-booking flights when something goes wrong or your plans have to change. Never used to be a problem but after Covid the airlines cut a lot of capacity and all the flights are full. I certainly noticed this in 2022 but I didn’t travel last year and I had hoped things would have started recovering by now. Apparently they haven’t.

Well done for sorting it out with a sensible route and only losing a day. They still turned that lost day into a combination of a homelessness simulation and working as a travel agent for free, but that’s modern life and succumbing to rage doesn’t help.

The good news is that arriving finally at your accommodation in Bali and putting down your suitcases must have felt even more wonderful as a result of your travails. Something as basic as having a bed for the night feels like a luxury. You can relax now.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It sounds like there’s still a lot of difficulty re-booking flights when something goes wrong or your plans have to change. Never used to be a problem but after Covid the airlines cut a lot of capacity and all the flights are full. I certainly noticed this in 2022 but I didn’t travel last year and I had hoped things would have started recovering by now. Apparently they haven’t.

Well done for sorting it out with a sensible route and only losing a day. They still turned that lost day into a combination of a homelessness simulation and working as a travel agent for free, but that’s modern life and succumbing to rage doesn’t help.

The good news is that arriving finally at your accommodation in Bali and putting down your suitcases must have felt even more wonderful as a result of your travails. Something as basic as having a bed for the night feels like a luxury. You can relax now.
Our sleep last night was tremendous. They put us up in a Holiday Inn Express after the flight cancelation.... We were only there for a couple hours and it was much better than camping out at the airport. But getting here and having a full and wonderful night sleep was a welcome relief.

Thx for your interest, Eric. I think I've lost a few people who used to read this thread religiously. It was a bit more fun during my buying frenzies. <eg>

That said, I think Aaron's thread has been a great place for new discussions on any and all topics. He's a great host.
The current version is still pretty interesting. I wouldn’t mind some pictures of your room or the hotel grounds or anything. My chances of getting to Bali any time soon are pretty slim.

Just glad all worked out for you guys. You have a goodly amount of tolerance for the chances and vagaries associated with travel...in particular air travel. I really don't have much patience for anything that tends to regard people as cattle or irritations.
I am not a good air traveler. We traveled by train and car last fall while touring Eastern Canada and it was terrific. Relaxing and great scenery etc. But you got there in one piece so all is well.

It's good to see you made it, even with the adventure of getting there. Thanks for the pics, I always enjoy pics of travels, Huck posted many in the past and it is always good to travel along vicariously with fellow wet shavers. Heres to smooth sailing the rest of the trip.

Top Bottom