What's new

Phoenix Stranglet Platinum

Opened a tuck of these yesterday. Don't know where they came from, probably someone threw them in with a BST transaction. Phoenix isn't a brand I would normally buy.
Anyway, got a good nick on the lower part of my neck. Binned the blade and put a fresh one in this morning. Got a weeper on my lower lip. Binned that blade as well as the rest of the tuck.
Would not recommend these blades. Wish Douglas or whatever his name is this week spent more on blade quality than retro 1950s space graphics and made up names. Nowhere on the tuck or blades indicates where the blades are made either.

Douglas Smyth is his "Stage Name"
Eric Hodges is his actual name. :w00t:
His Stranglet blades are most likely cheap Chinese blades & are known to be BAD Blades.!
Some of his shave soaps are fairly good IMO.

I'm just about to try a stranglet blade, and I had reasonable expectations for it, but after loading the blade today I fully expect that this will be one of the worst blades ever made.

I say that because apparently the blade wasn't made to any standards that blades for the last 100 years have used. When I went to load the blade (into my leaf thorn razor), I snapped the blade in half and found that it did not fit the razor. I've never seen this happen with any other blade before, the notches to for into the razor are not in the correct locations on the blade and to get it to load the blade bows up at quite a steep angle. Closing the razor onto it helped a bit, but this thing is just pure crap for manufacturing, and I can almost guarantee it's going to do some damage. Even if I'm lucky and it gives the best shave I've ever had, I will never but this blade again

I actually feel sorry for the guy. I think he really had high expectations for something that's a piece of junk. Maybe he can switch manufacturers to Flydear.

If it is them it says Made U.S.

Are they made by Personna?
strangelest.png

I'm just about to try a stranglet blade, and I had reasonable expectations for it, but after loading the blade today I fully expect that this will be one of the worst blades ever made.

I say that because apparently the blade wasn't made to any standards that blades for the last 100 years have used. When I went to load the blade (into my leaf thorn razor), I snapped the blade in half and found that it did not fit the razor. I've never seen this happen with any other blade before, the notches to for into the razor are not in the correct locations on the blade and to get it to load the blade bows up at quite a steep angle. Closing the razor onto it helped a bit, but this thing is just pure crap for manufacturing, and I can almost guarantee it's going to do some damage. Even if I'm lucky and it gives the best shave I've ever had, I will never but this blade agai
I hope Doug/Eric reads these posts and does something about it.

I say that because apparently the blade wasn't made to any standards that blades for the last 100 years have used. When I went to load the blade (into my leaf thorn razor), I snapped the blade in half and found that it did not fit the razor. I've never seen this happen with any other blade before, the notches to for into the razor are not in the correct locations on the blade and to get it to load the blade bows up at quite a steep angle. Closing the razor onto it helped a bit, but this thing is just pure crap for manufacturing, and I can almost guarantee it's going to do some damage. Even if I'm lucky and it gives the best shave I've ever had, I will never but this blade again

I bought some Facon blades which a couple blades snapped when I tried to tighten the razor down. I think I only used one and it wasn't memorable.

Shame, his soaps are up there with the best.
Hope he does read here and does something about it as @Juanmosey already said.
I mean, his razors are pretty good so his blades should at least be decent quality.

I just loaded up the second half of the Phoenix blade to see if it was as terrible as the first one...yup, and this time I took pictures. This has the be the worst quality control I've ever seen for a blade. I was going to try other stuff by Phoenix, but not if this is the kind of product they sell.

Attachments

• markup_1000000119.png
    markup_1000000119.png
    788.3 KB · Views: 19
I just loaded up the second half of the Phoenix blade to see if it was as terrible as the first one...yup, and this time I took pictures. This has the be the worst quality control I've ever seen for a blade. I was going to try other stuff by Phoenix, but not if this is the kind of product they sell.
there are so many excellent shaving product manufacturers it's not really worth hassling with the ones who have low standards

Their shaving soaps, brushes and razors are top notch. I have no idea why these blades are still sold but don't knock their other products before you try.

I plan on buying one of the glow in the dark razors when they are released in the fall.

I bought a tuck of the blades simply for the artwork on the tuck. I have only used two of the blades, and they were really bad.

I think that their scuttle is one of the best buys in shaving.

Nobody in this thread is disparaging the brand as a whole. The thread has stayed strictly on the topic of the blades… and they are bad… in my opinion… YMMV…

Top Bottom