What's new

Percolator Love

This is my old one.

proxy.php

Sadly money got a bit tight and it had to go to a new home. I use one similar to MintR33's now. As he said, they are the most common in Australia. It works fine, but doesn't look as cool in the kitchen.

Those are such cool looking coffee makers. I've never seen one here. Sorry you had to part with it.

This thread got me excited, so I hit a few thrift stores. Couldn't find a percolator.
So I looked on Amazon and found a stovetop perc, all stainless-steel, for $19.99, plus shipping.
When I told my wife I was going to order it, She said "wait!", and ran upstairs.
She came down with a brand-new Arcosteel 8-cup all stainless-steel stovetop percolator!:001_tt1:
She found it on clearence at our local Jewel grocery store. The price was $5.
It makes a great cup, much better than my drip.
I do use the paper filter discs, since my favorite coffee (Stewarts Private Blend) isn't very coarse.

I've got a clear glass percolator very much like the one in the picture from the OP, but I don't really use it. I bought it because I wanted to be able to see the coffee brewing.

Legion

Staff member
Those are such cool looking coffee makers. I've never seen one here. Sorry you had to part with it.

This thread reminded me of a T-shirt design which I was playing with a couple of years ago (and was the reason I took that picture of my Atomic)

proxy.php

This is my old one.

proxy.php

Sadly money got a bit tight and it had to go to a new home. I use one similar to MintR33's now. As he said, they are the most common in Australia. It works fine, but doesn't look as cool in the kitchen.

Are these still being manufactured? They are very neat looking.

I have an old electric w/a strength dial that varies the length of brew time and a stove top aluminum model.With the stove top model after the first "bloop" i let it perk for a minimum of 6 minutes up to 8-9 minutes for a strong cup of coffee.Much better coffee than drip systems.IMO.

To Alum of Potash - as a kid, my mother would crack an egg and put just the shell in the percolator. Not sure why though, sorry. And yes, I am still a perc drinker.

Legion

Staff member
To Alum of Potash - as a kid, my mother would crack an egg and put just the shell in the percolator. Not sure why though, sorry. And yes, I am still a perc drinker.

The theory is that because the shell is alkaline and the coffee is acidic, adding the shell reduces the bitterness and makes the flavour smoother. I've not tried it myself, but the same as you, I remember seeing it done when I was a kid.

These threads on percolators remind me of staying with my grandparents and my grandfather making coffee with a stove top percolator. Really good memories.
Big +1 here. Folger's classic in a small cup with a picture of wheat on the side.

Last edited:
Percolator coffee is my favorite. I bought a 12 cup stainless steel Presto off Amazon a few months ago and unlike the American made ones (Farberware comes to mind) I've used in the past is made in China. No hiccups yet and it makes perfect robust blistering hot coffee. I grind my own beans and the taste cannot be matched from a drip maker.

I've used drip style coffee makers for the last 3 decades or so and decided to try a percolator for a change. I found an electric Farberware at Kohls for a decent price about two weeks ago and have really enjoyed the coffee from it, definitely seems to taste a bit better than what I've been drinking. I decided to try to find a stove top model like I remember my mom using when I was a kid and lucked into finding this 9 cup vintage Century yesterday evening for $5 at an antique store. Looking forward to giving it a try this weekend.

proxy.php

Got another percolator this weekend and it's kind of special to me. I told my mom about my new interest in percolators so she said she still had one packed away somewhere. She gave me this JC Penney's electric 9 cup model, it was a wedding gift for her and my dad, and since they were married in 1954 that makes it 58 years old. She said it was from some of the ladies she was working with at the time.

I fired it up this morning and it worked just like it was brand new.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Got another percolator this weekend and it's kind of special to me. I told my mom about my new interest in percolators so she said she still had one packed away somewhere. She gave me this JC Penney's electric 9 cup model, it was a wedding gift for her and my dad, and since they were married in 1954 that makes it 58 years old. She said it was from some of the ladies she was working with at the time.

I fired it up this morning and it worked just like it was brand new.

That's a great find. I haven't picked up any electric percs yet but I might need to find one. I recently found a Bellman CX-25 but it still needs a thorough cleaning before use. This is a stock pic, mines a little more used looking.

$126_1_2.jpg

Dang, Kevin, I wouldn't have picked that out as a percolator in an antique store. Maybe a flux capacitor, but not a coffee pot!

I picked up these flat little disc filters today at Kroger. They will fit either a 3 or 3 1/2 inch basket, the edge is perforated so you can pull off a small strip to make it fit the 3 inch basket.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom