What's new

GIVEAWAY! Participation PIF - A Tale Of Two Bridges

Chinese London Bridge edge 3

Gillette Tech shaves 1&2, R89 shaves 3&4

Cella original, various synthetic brushes.

I tried this blade in a Tech, but to my surprise it didn't like it. Like its English forebear it seems happiest in an R89.

I think I'm finished with this challenge, I'm seeing a pattern emerge (there was also the English blade edge 6, unreported). Both the London Bridge blades seem like pretty solid mid-tier offerings. One (Chinese) occasionally leads to some minor irritation, one (English) leads to a slight raw feeling as it's running down. There's not a huge amount between them, but I get four shaves out a modern Chinese blade's edge, versus three the vintage English ones. For that reason, plus the fact I can replace the modern blades if need be, the Chinese blades win out for me.

I'd like to thank @AnimalCatcher for supplying these blades, and @Grundi for organising another great Participation PIF.

Blade: London Bridge (UK)
Razor: Flexi on 3.5
Mug: Captain's Choice Heavyweight Copper
Soap: Maggard Mango Sage Tea
Brush: VDH Badger
Post-shave: Thayers Toner WH, Nivea Men Sensitive PSB

Today's result a smooth, drama free shave - DFS with no major effort.
It is taking more work to get it as the blade wears.

Blade: Light Brigade (UK)
Razor: Variant on 4
Brush: Rudy Vey 2020 Group Buy Finest

Finishing up Week 10 of the Participation Phase:
Today's result a smooth, drama free shave - DFS+, close to BBS.
It is taking a bit more buffing to get there as the blade wears.

I'm really looking forward to Friday's shave. USPS tracking says my 2024 RVGB brush (Mistura) arrived here in Rochester this afternoon so it should be out for delivery tomorrow and ready to use on Friday.

It is taking more work to get it as the blade wears.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Light Brigade (6)

This blade performed perfectly in the CG Stinger. Level 2. Gen 1. After six full three pass shaves, there are no signs of degradation. I will keep going. However I hit the road tomorrow for a couple of weeks. I am bringing the second set of London Bridges with me. The Chinese and vintage British versions. So I will continue the tests.

2024-05-08 09.26.23.jpeg

Blade: London Bridge (CH)
Razor: Fatboy on 6
Brush: Silvertip of unknown origin

Into Week 11 of the Participation Phase:
Today's result a smooth, drama free shave - simple DFS.
Not really in the same league with the two UK blades.

Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade #2, shave #4

Razor: Henson AL13+
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade #2 (4)
Cream: Palmolive Classic
Brush: No-name badger off of Amazon
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

Another excellent shave with this blade. That's now 4 shaves each on 2 blades each from the 3 blades in the PIF. My impressions after the first round still stands after the second round.

Wilkinson Sword > English-made London Bridge > Chinese-made London Bridge

(And I have at least 1, if not several more, shaves on the Wilkinson Sword before I bin it, but this is the point at which I have used all of them an equal number of uses.)

A big thanks to @Grundi and @AnimalCatcher for making this PIF available!

Last edited:
Razor: Flexi on 4
Brush: RV 2024 Group Buy Mistura
Post-shave: Thayers Toner WH, Stirling Barbershop PSB

The new brush did a great job building lather on its first outing. I can't wait to see it after it's broken in.

Today's result a smooth, drama free shave - DFS+. Nice and comfy all the way through, with just a tiny bit of stubble at the back corner of the jaw.

Soap: B&M Promises
Brush: Semogue SOC Mistura

The Brigadier delivers again! Today's result a smooth, drama free shave. Very close to BBS, but not quite. It is taking a bit more buffing to get there as the blade wears, but the results are worth it.

Brush: RV 2024 Group Buy Mistura

Today's result was a smooth, drama free DFSshave. Nice and comfy all the way through, with just a tiny bit of stubble at the back corner of the jaw. It took a fair bit of buffing to get there, though. I think this blade is approaching end-of-life status. We'll see.

Brush: Semogue SOC Mistura

Today's result was a smooth, drama free DFS shave. Nice and comfy, with just a tiny bit of stubble at the back corner of the jaw.

Soap: PdP #63
Brush: RV Mistura

Same as 3 days ago's last Brigade shave.
Today's result a smooth, drama free shave. Very close to BBS, but not quite.
It is taking a bit more buffing to get there as the blade wears, but the blade just keeps on giving.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I kept my kit exactly the same. Except i took out the British London Bridge and put in the Chinese version. The shave was very close, and had no drama. I believe the Chinese version may be a tad sharper. But less controlled, and less refined. The British blade exhibits a certain sophistication and luxury that is no present with the new Chinese model. But the shave was smooth and close. And the overall results may be closer than with the vintage model. Regardless they are both great blades, and both are a pleasure to use. Next two shaves will move these same blades from the R89 to a SLOC Topped R41. Stay tuned.

2024-05-13 05.47.45-1.jpg

Soap: B&M 42
Brush: Muhle STF, XL

For today's shave I moved to B&M 42 for a soap, as we're only about 10 days from Towel Day. It was applied with a Muhle STF that I picked up on BST. Nice enough brush, but for me it wasn't the marvel that it's been described as.

Today's result was a smooth, drama free DFS shave. Nice and comfy all the way through, with a bit of stubble left at the back corner of the jaw. It took some buffing to get there, though. The LBCH is on the way out.

Post-shave: Dickinson's astringent WH, Captain's choice Land Ho! PSB

Today's result was a smooth, drama free DFS shave. Pleasant all the way through, with a bit of stubble left at the back corner of the jaw. It took a little buffing to get there.

Razor: Variant on 4.5
Soap: B&M 72

Same as 3 days ago's last Brigade shave.
Today's result a smooth, drama free shave. Very close to BBS, but not quite.

Razor: Fatboy on 7

Today's result was a drama free near DFS shave. Nice and comfy all the way through, with a bit of stubble left at the back corner of the jaw. It took some buffing to get there, though. This LBCH has had it.

1716070137606.png

Top Bottom