What's new

PAA Starling V3 dropped

Today I tried a comparison shave between the PAA Starling V3 OC and the Micromatic Open Comb (MMOC), bumpless version with half spine shim. I had three days growth. I shaved one side with the V3 OC plate and the other side with the MMOC. I did a two pass shave with touch ups in the mustache area. The MMOC was a little more efficient on the XTG passes under the nose than the V3 but the difference as very slight. The MMOC is a little more aggressive than the V3. The V3 provided a more comfortable shave. The end result from both razors was the same level of smoothness. Either would work for 3 days growth.

Having been a machinist, I find it mildly amusing that PAA explains away the errant machining marks with marketing language. I suspect that the price doesn't afford the level of machining quality and cleanliness that you find with many other boutique razor manufacturers like Blackland, Karve, etc. Thankfully, it doesn't appear to be anything that impacts the function or is significantly detrimental to the overall aesthetic.

Iit's nice to see more GEM options as opposed to less.
That is rich. Either Douglas Smythe, aka John Doe aka Fruity Pebbles asked for that finish, which I highly doubt, or the guy who set the CNC up for that production run had a hangover. Whatever the case that is not a finish you ask for on a razor, but I'm guessing the tool chatter for that finish pass was fun to listen to

Today I tried a comparison shave between the PAA Starling V3 SB and the Micromatic Clog-Pruf (MMCP), Peerless variant (with 17 teeth, has bumps). I had two days growth. I used a Personna SS PTFE GEM blade. I shaved one side with the V3 SB plate and the other side with the MMCP. I did a two pass shave with touch ups in the mustache area. The V3 SB has the same efficiency as the MMCP. The MMCP provided a more comfortable shave. The shave results were identical.

IMG_0184.jpg

I'm borrowing the v3 Starling and the first outing with the open comb went well despite the unguarded blade corners. It's certainly a hefty razor and very different from the Vestige I have been using recently. I'll test the solid bar and compare to a couple of other modern GEMs before making a full review.

If you are looking for an affordable alternative to the Wolfman this isn't it. At least for me. I've tried both plates several times and the Starling has a few issues. Frankly, it feels like an early prototype that needs more testing. I would wait for the v4 if there is such a thing.

I know it's a $99 razor not a Wolfman but the tolerances were disappointing. The blade is held very loosely in the side notches. Unlike the Sabre or the Vestige, which is locked down extremely well. Tolerances on the Atelier Durdan are almost too good. Blade just drops out when taking the razor apart. The blade can be moved from side to side, i.e. not centred along the comb.

I don't like the non-standard oval cutout in the baseplate. I needed to check alignment when loading a blade. The Mongoose has this quirk also.

So here's the biggest problem. The others are minor quirks of the design. No blade stops. No nicks or cuts but I can feel the corners far too easily. If you shave in a straight line it's manageable but very frustrating. I can feel the corners before it cuts but it doesn't make for a smooth shave. I feel like I'm being poked in the face unless I really pay attention to where the corners are for every stroke.

And the "soap bubble" machining marks on the baseplate are bizarre. At least it's hidden on the inside when assembled.​

IMG_0205.jpg

The heavy weight was not a problem nor was the grip on the handle.

The shaves were comfortable with either plate, when the corners are kept out of the way, but I prefer other moderns GEMs - Sabre, Vestige, Wolfman etc. I have used other razors with exposed blade corners without a hitch including the ATT G1 and the Vestige. It simply didn't work for me with the Starling. I just had to pay too much attention to get a comfortable shave.

Overall a disappointment.​

People complained about the V2 Starling having sharp blade stops so I guess to correct the issue, they removed them in the V3. I prefer blade stops but I only miss the blade stops for loading and unloading the blade on the Starling V3. I have no issues during the shaves by not having the blade stops. I guess it depends on your shave technique.

I find that I prefer vintage GEM/EverReady razors instead of modern ones (though I do have a Blackland Sabre as well).

I decided that the knurling on the PAA 'Removable Tip FLARE Tip Handle' that came with the V3 was too aggressive and not comfortable for me to hold. Granted there is no way for the handle to slip out of your grip with all that texture. I looked for a heavy handle that had a good grip at the balance point with this heavy head and picked the Rocnel SE-P handle (older version). The head on the Startling is pretty bulky and you need a heavy handle to balance out all that weight. The knurling on the Rocnel handle is less aggressive and more pleasant to hold. I had to use one of the nylon washers that I use with my Yates 921 with the small outer diameter so that the width of the Rocnel handle would not come in contact with the base plate at the bend but instead sit flat in alignment with the other part of the base plate.

I think $99 for a stainless steel razor with two base plates is reasonable. Sure, it isn't a $200+ razor, but it is a more than acceptable shaver to me. I think the success of the V3 will determine if there will be a V4.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Frankly, it feels like an early prototype that needs more testing. I would wait for the v4 if there is such a thing.

the tolerances were disappointing. The blade is held very loosely

This is the way I felt about v1 and v2. I wasn’t going to go through it all again with a v3 until I read some reviews. Thanks for taking one for the team. 😎

If you are looking for an affordable alternative to the Wolfman this isn't it. At least for me. I've tried both plates several times and the Starling has a few issues. Frankly, it feels like an early prototype that needs more testing. I would wait for the v4 if there is such a thing.

I know it's a $99 razor not a Wolfman but the tolerances were disappointing. The blade is held very loosely in the side notches. Unlike the Sabre or the Vestige, which is locked down extremely well. Tolerances on the Atelier Durdan are almost too good. Blade just drops out when taking the razor apart. The blade can be moved from side to side, i.e. not centred along the comb.

I don't like the non-standard oval cutout in the baseplate. I needed to check alignment when loading a blade. The Mongoose has this quirk also.

So here's the biggest problem. The others are minor quirks of the design. No blade stops. No nicks or cuts but I can feel the corners far too easily. If you shave in a straight line it's manageable but very frustrating. I can feel the corners before it cuts but it doesn't make for a smooth shave. I feel like I'm being poked in the face unless I really pay attention to where the corners are for every stroke.

And the "soap bubble" machining marks on the baseplate are bizarre. At least it's hidden on the inside when assembled.​

View attachment 1722103

The heavy weight was not a problem nor was the grip on the handle.

The shaves were comfortable with either plate, when the corners are kept out of the way, but I prefer other moderns GEMs - Sabre, Vestige, Wolfman etc. I have used other razors with exposed blade corners without a hitch including the ATT G1 and the Vestige. It simply didn't work for me with the Starling. I just had to pay too much attention to get a comfortable shave.

Overall a disappointment.​
no blade stops are a no go for me. The Gem blades have a pretty pronounced edge which is super sharp. Thank you for the heads up on this one. Will pass.

It's not a question of technique. I mostly use GEM razors, both modern and vintage. While you can lessen the effect of the exposed corners by modifying your strokes I had to pay way too much attention to the corners to enjoy the shave.

I borrowed this razor from a friend who was very quick to offer it up for a loan. Again, he's a big fan of the GEM format and managed to cut himself quite a bit and had decided to sell it before it even reached me.

Now there are more and more new GEM razors on the market it's going to be a hard sell for the Starling. If it works for you great but I can't recommend it based on my experience. I gave it a fair chance using both plates several times but the design is flawed in my opinion.

Subject : Product Question
Message : The Phoenix Starling V3 Single Edge Safety Razor | Polished 316L Stainless Steel.
I was wondering what the blade gaps are for this razor in millimeters? Also, any ballpark on when they will be back in stock? I already signed up for the notification. Thanks.

We don't have the blade gap measurements, we don't really utilize them when talking about razors but they can be most easily measured using an optical comparator (a device we do not have) since the measurement is fractions of a millimeter typically.

We hope to have them back soon. Razor manufacturing is very tricky and these have been plagued with production hiccups but we're hopeful we will have them soon.

Top Bottom