What's new

PAA Starling V3 dropped

Anyone have the Starling V3 on order? Am interested to hear field reports!

This iteration has taken forever to release. Has anyone tried the v2?

The v3 sounds pretty heavy

Starling razor head 51g
Wolfman razor head 37g
Sabre 32g
Atelier Durdan Vestige complete razor 67g

All in 316L

@Fedsbackhand - the math on their website isn't adding up.

They note:

Specifications:
Top Cap Weight: 23 grams
Bottom Plate, Open Comb: 28 Grams
Bottom Plate, Straight Bar: 28 Grams
Handle Weight: 79 grams
Handle Length: 3.50 inches
Total Weight w/ Plate "A": 38 Grams (Total Wt w/ Beta Plate: 39 Grams) <- how can the total weight with a plate be 38 grams if the Cap (23g)+Bottom Plate (28g) + handle (79g) = 130g?

Material: 316L Polished Stainless Steel

Are these head pieces compatible with a DE handle? I like the Red Top clone handle but I'd prefer a longer option. I saw a handle like this on eBay being sold with an iKon head. Now I know where it came from. It would be nice if the neck of the handle also resembled the Red Tip.

from PAA:

starling_v3.jpg

Went to order as soon as I saw the email, sold out lol. I will wait for a review. I recently have started a love hate with my v2, I've had great shaves and bad ones. Very curious how this compares to my blinged out gem Shield.

@GeronimoWSB - with your V2, have the good shaves and bad shaves been while using the same soap/cream?
Well , like Whiterook said the open comb is smoother. I went the same blade from my last shave and Tabac Tallow. Fast shave,no nicks or weepers, no real irritation. A great shave. I remember riding the top cap so it almost suctions to your face was the key. A solid 8. Probably could have buffed a bit. Had garden chores to do. Lol.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
@Fedsbackhand The first razor in any platform that gave me a really great shave was the Starling V2OC. Too flipping light, though. Almost immediately I put a stainless handle on it.

@Never Picked the post threads are either 10-32 or M5x0.80 which really are pretty interchangeable. Fits any modern handle that isn't for a razor like FOCS, which uses M4.5x0.75 threads.

@steelwindmachine I've had good shaves with the V2OC using Proraso Green, Yardley Almond and Oatmeal body soap, and multiple variations on a theme of my homemade shave soap.

@Whiterook I like the OC best, too. The SB was just bleah for me.

@Fedsbackhand True; they've lost the stops. With the post retention system locking into recesses in the cap, though, pretty sure they aren't needed. The ATT G1 didn't have stops either. I never worried about catching the corner of the blade, and it never happened.

O.H.

Top Bottom